Doublethink and Newspeak In Action

Started by trout-r-us, January 21, 2022, 09:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

Interesting how the very same groups that created labels like "cancel culture" and "snowflakes" are now playing those rolls.
If these folks get what they want, history will be history.
When I first read 1984, I envisioned someplace like Russia; not Florida.🤔

"A Florida state Senate committee on Thursday advanced a bill that would prohibit making white people feel "discomfort" when taught or trained about past discrimination in public schools and private businesses.
The bill, S.B. 148, would prevent school educators from teaching subjects that could make students feel responsible for historical wrongs based on their race, sex or national origin."
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/590554-bill-to-ban-lessons-making-white-students-feel-discomfort-advances-in
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"An individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, does not bear responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members of the same race or sex," the legislation by Sen. Manny Diaz (R) reads. "An individual should not be made to feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on account of his or her race."

This is utterly fucking bullshit!  We should feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, etc. as a human race!  Without these discomforts, aches and pains, from our past, where will the incentives and motivations to do better come from?

I'm not sure discomfort for our youth (white, black, brown, red, yellow, male or female or somewhere in-between, rich, poor, middle class) when exposed to history is even a likelihood.  Nor do I feel presenting only our historical positives and laudatory accomplishments to our youth will send them into some psychological euphoria.  Exposing adults to truth does not seem to work, so why would it work with our adolescents?

Historical truth (bad and good) = potential for growth and survival

"A generation which ignores history has no past – and no future." –  Robert A. Heinlein

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Trout Maharishi

Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?" Thomas Sowell
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

"Racism is not dead, but it is on life support – kept alive by politicians, race hustlers and people who get a sense of superiority by denouncing others as 'racists'"
— Thomas Sowell
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

"Racism has never done this country any good, and it needs to be fought against, not put under new management for different groups." – Thomas Sowell
― Charles Bukowski

Yallerhammer

Yes, I reckon somehow I am inherently eve-ill because I was unknowingly born white instead of black. Bullshit.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

I grew up poor as a shithouse rat. We had to go through "diversity training" at work, which is racist. We had a "privilege" exercise where everyone lined up in the middle of the room. If you had this when you were growing up, you take a step forward, if you didn't, you take a step back. At the end, There were a few folk at the front of the room. Most of them had on neckties or power woman suits. Most of the folks were still somewhere in the middle. At the back of the room against the wall was my hillbilly ass and a girl from Haiti. 

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 21, 2022, 19:41:51 PMI grew up poor as a shithouse rat. We had to go through "diversity training" at work, which is racist. We had a "privilege" exercise where everyone lined up in the middle of the room. If you had this when you were growing up, you take a step forward, if you didn't, you take a step back. At the end, There were a few folk at the front of the room. Most of them had on neckties or power woman suits. Most of the folks were still somewhere in the middle. At the back of the room against the wall was my hillbilly ass and a girl from Haiti.  My pronoun is ME.
I identify as Haitian.  V:; My pronoun is ME.
― Charles Bukowski

trout-r-us

Censorship is still alive and well in Tennessee. Guess not much has changed over there since the Scopes Monkey Trial almost 100 years ago.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-school-board-bans-holocaust-200828371.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 16:36:08 PMCensorship is still alive and well in Tennessee. Guess not much has changed over there since the Scopes Monkey Trial almost 100 years ago.

https://news.yahoo.com/us-school-board-bans-holocaust-200828371.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." -Bobby Lee Swagger

Also happening in other states.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: trout-r-us on January 27, 2022, 16:36:08 PMCensorship is still alive and well in Tennessee. Guess not much has changed over there since the Scopes Monkey Trial almost 100 years ago.

I call bullshit on most of that. It's spun to death. Most conservatives I've been around are very pro-Jewish and pro-Israel. Fundamentalist Christians consider Jews to be God's chosen people and respect them. I have never met an actual conservative holocaust denier or anti-Semite in over a half-century of life on this planet. Most of the anti-Semitism I see nowadays comes from Muslims and left-wing pro-Palestinians. Most of the folks I see wanting to ban stuff in general are extremely liberal.

As for the Scopes Monkey Trial, you are spot-on with that. I have met thousands of conservative Christian evolution deniers.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 18:05:26 PM

I call bullshit on most of that. It's spun to death. Most conservatives I've been around are very pro-Jewish and pro-Israel. Fundamentalist Christians consider Jews to be God's chosen people and respect them. I have never met an actual conservative holocaust denier or anti-Semite in over a half-century of life on this planet. Most of the anti-Semitism I see nowadays comes from Muslims and left-wing pro-Palestinians. Most of the folks I see wanting to ban stuff in general are extremely liberal.

As for the Scopes Monkey Trial, you are spot-on with that. I have met thousands of conservative Christian evolution deniers.

Yaller, you might be reading too much into the protest and ban.  I doubt half of the parents that were bitching and moaning could tell us one fact about the holocaust.

I don't believe the parents were holocaust deniers or anti-Jewish.  They had issues with the language and nudity ("......eight crude words like "damn" and "bitch" and one scene of nudity"). 

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 27, 2022, 18:27:30 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 27, 2022, 18:05:26 PM

Yaller, you might be reading too much into the protest and ban.  I doubt half of the parents that were bitching and moaning could tell us one fact about the holocaust.

I don't believe the parents were holocaust deniers or anti-Jewish.  They had issues with the language and nudity ("......eight crude words like "damn" and "bitch" and one scene of nudity"). 

I'll agree with that to an extent. I was referring to the obvious heavily-spun hateful feel of the article that paints all conservatives as evils sub-humans who are all anti-Semitic and wanting to ban everything enlightening. Most conservatives are fine with Jewish folks, but most Baptists will swear in public that they're against being nekkid and cussing and drinking. Unless they're somewhere in private being nekkid and cussing and drinking.

greg

Banning books is a slippery damn slope.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: greg on January 27, 2022, 18:54:41 PMBanning books is a slippery damn slope.
Yep. I agree. It ain't just the conservatives, though. Atlas Shrugged would be ok to ban for a lot of folks. And canceling folks and banning them from all social media for non-conformist (conservative) views.

Speaking of the Holocaust, I read a Rasmussen poll the other day where 45% of liberals think it would be ok to put unvaccinated Americans into internment camps. Divide, other, conquer. Been working for centuries.