News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

Warm Water Species / Re: Roanoke Bassin
Last post by itieuglyflies - Today at 04:38:02 AM
Awesome Ken..."walked three miles back to the put in and I was off". One tough dude for sure and incredible fish too.
Warm Water Species / Roanoke Bassin
Last post by Onslow - April 19, 2024, 20:18:41 PM

For years, I've been wanting to press a bit further down this river.  Long stretches of water can be found between bridges making it a very frustrating river to fish.  Low flow rivers fish slower, and 3-4 mile beats can fill up most of the day, but this stretch has 10 miles, and the first bridge below my starting point is way to steep to take out. Access span is 14 miles.

I had a plan to work round that. It involved depositing the canoe and gear at the put in, driving to a tributary bridged to park the van.  Walked three miles back to the put in, and I was off.

You cannot view this attachment.

After about an hour, I encountered water filled with very jagged ledge rock.  The gradient picks up here (20 fpm).  I started working shallower intermediate pools with gentle push water. PB measuring 13"

The next fish looked completely black in the water.

The next .7 of a mile was golden.

15 citation Roanokes were caught, 6-7 were 13 inches.

After the first mile, the geology changed from ledge rock to more round rock. No more Roanokes. The bass were not biting either.

Perched in the tree with scant foliage is a bald eagle. He circled around and came rather close.  A couple peeping sounds were made as if flew away.You cannot view this attachment.

Mile 2 water was poor quality, mile 3 was better, but still no bass.  Managed a crappie.

Made a turn in the trib, and paddled another 1.5.  It looked like a good chain pickeral stream, but no love. I did manage a couple redbreast and a yellow bullhead.

You cannot view this attachment..

Lacking pics due to upload issues.

The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Dead People; R.I...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 19, 2024, 18:17:48 PM
Dickey Betts, hit-crafting mainstay of Allman Brothers Band, dies at 80
He was a founding member of the group and wrote and sang 'Ramblin' Man,' which became the band's only major top-10 success

https://wapo.st/448UvER

Warm Water Species / Re: Strange creatures in the J...
Last post by itieuglyflies - April 19, 2024, 17:51:19 PM
The viewing window is 3 1/2  ft. wide. When you open the shad cam web site scroll down and they give all details on how to estimate size of the fish
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 19, 2024, 17:50:47 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on April 19, 2024, 11:24:44 AMLast couple weeks if I call the number for generation info a lady comes on and says "Goodbye".
What's up with that?

This is the new number that I have 248-434-5508

The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Local Bands, sma...
Last post by troutboy_II - April 19, 2024, 12:36:24 PM
But the new venue is just that - wedding parties, sometimes office get togethers, etc.  Not a real music venue on the circuit like before. That's fine and all, but I would rather stand for a Handelbar concert than attend a local DNC fundraiser (wife said I had to go since we were sponsors  :o- what the hell!  How did that happen :-\ ?  But I digress...

You're still fortunate to have the Flat Iron close by.

TB

Last post by troutboy_II - April 19, 2024, 12:28:01 PM
Screen size?   d:b

TB
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by trout-r-us - April 19, 2024, 11:24:44 AM
Last couple weeks if I call the number for generation info a lady comes on and says "Goodbye".
What's up with that?
Last post by brownhunter - April 19, 2024, 08:11:19 AM
Yesterday as I was watching, there was a catfish that was as long as the screen. What size would you say that was?