Deers 2015

Started by RiverbumCO, September 15, 2015, 16:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverbumCO

On the board.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

bmadd

Are you currently sleeping out of that truck? Seems like a weird place to keep all of your shoes.

driver

Must have gut shot her. I don't see any entry/exit wounds, or hit it with the truck..

I'm currently trying to determine if I will still be able to hunt where I have been..

RiverbumCO

Yallerhammer

Looks like a perfect meat deer there, and any deer killed with a bow is a goodun.  V:;

I haven't been yet. These last couple mornings in the low 40s have been giving me the urge, though. I'll be out there in a couple weeks with my homemade selfbow, cane arrows, and flint points.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Al

Good job RB  'c;  Yel Hammer is right, any deer shot with bow is a good deer.

I am ahead of the game. Shot one last week in VA (Urban Archery) and one down here in Fayetteville yesterday. Both does - yesterday a real big one.  Wife is already complaining about lack of freezer space. I always worry about starting at zero each year but pressure is definitely off now.

RiverbumCO

Ive been hearing complaints about my freezer being empty.  Shot 4 last year and only gave one to the China lady at work.

Yallerhammer

My stock of deer meat is running really, really low. Three-four will usually do me and my wife a year since the ravenous teenage humans grew up and moved out.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

RiverbumCO

Yep. 5 miles from zee house.

OldDominionAngler

Who's the resident expert in turning deer parts into fly tying materials?  In general can you expect good grade tying materials from any run of the mill neighborhood white tail?  Is it belly hair that's the best for spinning?  Any other usable tying materials to hold on to other than bucktail and belly fur?  Hit it with some borax and that's it for preservation?

Just looking for some general knowledge here..anything has to be better then the garbage they sell at local Orvis.

driver

The belly hair for deer around here is too short and thin to spin with. Imo

The bucktail tends to be shorter and finer that the northern deer. But l like the finer hair on clousers.

Borax paste will work or just cake it in salt for a couple of weeks.

OldDominionAngler

Quote from: driver on September 18, 2015, 12:10:20 PM
The belly hair for deer around here is too short and thin to spin with. Imo

The bucktail tends to be shorter and finer that the northern deer. But l like the finer hair on clousers.

Borax paste will work or just cake it in salt for a couple of weeks.

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

Jfey

Nice future venison Bum.   

I read the article that Ben posted and there was mention of putting special "mineral supplements" to grow bigger antlers and attract them.   Isn't that like bragging about catching a 20 inch stocker on a pellet fly?   I guess is your hunting solely to stock the freezer its not a big deal, but don't you lose bragging rights at that point?
Yup, going fishing

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Jfey on September 18, 2015, 13:54:16 PM
I read the article that Ben posted and there was mention of putting special "mineral supplements" to grow bigger antlers and attract them.   Isn't that like bragging about catching a 20 inch stocker on a pellet fly?   I guess is your hunting solely to stock the freezer its not a big deal, but don't you lose bragging rights at that point?

We did that, put out what we call 'salt licks', basically a block of minerals and stuff and the deer would lick them.  I can't say it helped the deer grow bigger antlers though for us at least.  We have property we own and then 3 other leased tracks of land, all widely separated, and the deer didn't have bigger antlers on our property where we had the salt lick.  Not to mention we stopped doing that years ago and my dad is consistently bagging bigger antlered deer than I recall ever seeing on any of our properties.  FWIW.