News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Jackson River

Started by troutphisher, October 07, 2007, 21:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Woolly, Gordie, I and AL fished the Jackson river this weekend. We made a 4 day weekend of the trip. We packed for cool weather, but it didn't get cool until the evenings. The air temp avg around 89 for the 3 days of fishing. The water was slightly stained and running at just a perfect flow at 198cfs.

Wool and I arrived a little late, after some navigational errors, but managed to make up some time. We arrived at Al's house to find Gordie and Al talking it up, and having some beers. after the greetings, we proceeded to cast a fine array of bamboo rods.

I especially like the impregnated T&T rod, this is a 5wt 8 ft rod, that cast really smooth, and launches a 5WF line 50 feet with little effort. The craftsman ship on this rod is second to none. It is truly a work of art hand crafted to near perfection.

Wool and Gordie cast some of Al's Orvis rods, each a great example of Orvis's work.

After the casting of the rods, we proceeded to the river to set up camp. It was near dark and we wanted to get the gear set up while we had light to aid the event.

The next Morning we hit the river, each taking a section to fish. I fished the middle section, Gordie took the riffles, and Woolly fished, what is now referred to as the Woowe hole, as this section has become his favorite.

We all had a good morning fishing, catching plenty of rainbows, using nymphs. The wading at this flow was easy compared to last trip. We broke for lunch and some beer's to celebrate the mornings fishing. Al joined us at river side and we sat and talked about the mornings fishing and what flies we used. After the midday fishing while Al critiqued our fishing techniques, we made a fire and enjoyed some cold beer while visiting. The stars at night are some of the best I have seen. The milky-way was clearly visible, and the stars filled the night sky in the billions. We were even privileged to see many shooting stars, while we sat and talked.

The next morning we hit the river with renewed purpose, there was bragging rights to be won. We each fished the same sections we started with on day one. I was reading a seam when I heard great commotion coming from Gordie's section and looked over to see his rod bent and held high, as he maneuvered the fish to the bank. I new is was a good from the bend in his rod, later to be known as a very good brown trout, I am guessing 16" +. Gordie soon celebrated with cold beverage.

We broke for lunch, and I drove to pick up Al, and bring him to the river. We had a canopy set up, from witch Al could stay out of the sun while continuing to  let know the proper ways to nymph...he he he he.

Later that evening, AL picked up my rod, the 49'er Orvis bamboo, and instructed me to tie on a Sulphur dry. AL walked the bank and cast to the middle section of the stream, managing a perfect drift, and soon had a nice rainbow. It was good to see.
AL, then instructed me to get the damn fish. I held the fish while Woolly snapped a few picks. It was a perfect way to end the day fishing, and I was glad to see AL get into the action.

We sat by the fire and talked about the days events and fun fishing that was had.
Al cooked us up some chilly and home made tater bread, we ate while sitting around the fire, it was good to be in this place with friends. We laughed and joked around and had a grand time.

The next day, we woke late from the late night, and Gordie had to leave for other commitments. So woolly and I helped Gordie pack his gear, and saw him off.

Woolly and I hit the water again, and had fun catching a few on dry's and nymphs.
We broke midday as the temps were reaching near 90. We drove up to the dam and scoped out the area. Woolly managed to get a rise out of a fish, but put to much pepper on the hook set, and landed his fly in the tree, he he he he.

We fished a little while longer back at Al's section, then packed up and drove back to Al's to say good by.

I couldn't have picked a better way to spend a weekend with friends. It was a blast, the fishing was good to us, and the night fires and beers, were a perfect end to the days of fishing.

Thanks Al, for letting us fish.

Here are some pics of the fishing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Don't forget about the bear we saw climbing up the hill as we were on our way to the dam....
:'(
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Oh ya, that Dam bear....LOL
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

some photos of the weekend....

Planters Mixed Nuts anyone?

Stick your finger in it and you can have the whole damn jug.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

brownhunter

Those are some gorgeous fish, and thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading about your trip.

TP, did you end up buying another boo rod?
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: brownhunter on October 08, 2007, 06:34:02 AM
Those are some gorgeous fish, and thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading about your trip.

TP, did you end up buying another boo rod?

Al's not selling us anymore of his prized boo rods because, 1.) Phish dinged up the hook keeper on the '49 and 2.) I desecrated the holy waters of the Jackson with a plastic rod.... :(
me -There's a season?

Gofisher

Dang Phish, you gave away a river's name!  ;D Most excellent report and pics. I didn't realize we had that much fun. It was truly a wonderful weekend spent with 3 fine fly fishermen (me excluded). I'll get some pics together when I have time. Thanks WB and Phish for helping me break down, I made it home in time and my daughter was extatic. Fat Al, thank you for the weekend. I enjoyed your company and look forward to the next time we meet. Maybe by then, SW will let me out of the doghouse... o-o
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

peter p

Looks like you boys had a great weekend!
Peter

Psycho_Fisher

very cool... I'm totally jealeous.   ;)

GREENPEACE huh?!?   :o ::)
Tight Lines & Put-Em-Back!

troutphisher

Quote from: Psycho_Fisher on October 08, 2007, 12:48:40 PM
very cool... I'm totally jealeous.   ;)

GREENPEACE huh?!?   :o ::)

Woowe's cup!
I was simply showing my support, non verbally.  A simple gesture, yet transcending language barriers globally.  ;D

Trout Maharishi

SAVE THE WHALES SUPPORT GREENPEACE
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

jkilday4

thanks for the report - Shit Ridge looks like an awright place!

SRFFC wannabe...

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: jkilday4 on October 08, 2007, 13:37:31 PM
thanks for the report - Shit Ridge looks like an awright place!

SRFFC wannabe...

That ain't shitridge... ain't no trout up on the ridge.... :)
me -There's a season?

Trout Chaser

Great report & pictures.  :) I've got to wander back over that way sometime this fall.  It's been too long :( 

TC

kylemc