News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Elk River, TN 9-11-05

Started by phishfool_98, September 13, 2005, 13:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishfool_98

Went up to the Elk this past Sunday. Pretty good day. Lots of rainbows one brown. Caught a bunch of crappies too and one albino bluegill, wished I had my camera. Water temps below the dam was 54 degrees, further down at unspecified location it was 60 degrees. When they start generating more I think it will help keep the temps down even though a little more thought will have to go into planning trips. Swung soft hackles and dead drifted nymphs but the black BH Woolly Bugger was the crappie killer.

phish

brownhunter

Sounds like a great day. Thanks for sharing.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

dblhaul

Softhackles seem to be the ticket this time of year on the Elk..Crappie?

phishfool_98

No joke man, I can guarantee a crappie every time I go up there. They are on the outside of the bend below the dam, in the shallower water by some logs. Pretty weird huh. It impresses people though when I say watch me pull a crappie out of here.

phish

kreekn

I knew there was a reason,I've been tying these soft hackles.Plus they look kinda classy,but mostly because they're easy.Was the bluegill a true albino or just lightly colored?I caught one on the Sip,that was kinda silver.My thought was that was a trait of cold water bg's.

phishfool_98

I've convinced myself that it was a female long eared sunfish after doing some research. But the albino story sounds better. :)

phish

dblhaul

The copper nose hybrids are very light, almost a faded lemon color..The sailfins are very light, but easy to distinguish from other species..Probably was a albino..Eyes white ? I didn't get to fish the "turn hole" last visit, had loud, married couple that parked in the hole and beat the water..