News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River 8-11-09

Started by troutrus, August 11, 2009, 15:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

I know a number of you guys have fished the Smith River up in Virginia. Thought I'd post some pics of what is found downstream. I fished it this afternoon for a short time before getting rained out. The area I fished is approximately 42 river miles downstream of Philpott Dam. Very nice flow and good water color.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Nice looking river considering it's location in town. Not so much trash since most of the homeless folks were chased from the area.

There are some very nice sized sunnies in the river, but most that I caught today were small.

Caught some of these too. Nice catfish bait, but I released them today.

Caught a couple of these too.

Usually get some Largemouth, but none today.

Al

Good looking water.

Are you wade fishing or using a small boat? 

Do you have to watch for the generation surge that far downstream?

troutrus

Wade fishing in this particular area of the river.
With the current generation times and duration at Philpott and Martinsville dams, the surge has been hitting in the wee hours of the morning. Under that scenario, afternoon/evening fishing is during falling water conditions.
Note the camelback hump on the attached charts for most weekdays. I understand that the first surge is from generation at Martinsville Dam followed by water from Philpott. I'm told that Martinsville surge reaches Eden in ~10hrs. Philpott surge varies depending on the pool level behind Martinsville Dam.
P.S. the big bump today was the result of rain yesterday/today.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02074000&agency_cd=USGS

jwhop3

Okay, where exactly is 42 miles downstream from Philpott Dam. I live in Rocky Mount, VA and fish Philpott Res. and Fairy Stone Lake a lot, and would like to find smallies in the Smith, as it is a lot closer than the James. Are you finding bass around Eden? All I ever hear about in Smith is Brown Trout, which is okay, but nothing like a Bronzeback!!!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

dossphoto

There are no smallmouth in the Smith river.......Really!!! :-X

jwhop3

Quote from: dossphoto on September 18, 2009, 20:35:14 PM
There are no smallmouth in the Smith river.......Really!!! :-X

Henry, VA? Is that a local photo DOS? That's exactly what I'm looking for. I would like to put in around the bridge at Koehler and kayak upstream and float back. Or put in at Fieldale Park and do the same. That looks to be the area you're in there.

Jwhop
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~