Spider, fish and the Smith

Started by 5xTippett, July 25, 2010, 13:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

My wife was still out of town so I headed back Friday afternoon to Ridgeway.  I was running late so I changed clothes at the motel and headed upstream to catch the falling water.  I forgot it takes longer for the water to drop than rise so I had to sit around for a while.  When it started dropping I hopped in and started fishing.  I fished for about an hour and caught nine fairly decent fish.  It is no fun wading downstream on didymo covered rocks in the dark.  I went back to the motel to watch tv and hit the rack.  I over slept the next morning and did not wake up untill 9.  I had already decided I was going to fish different spots from where I normally fish and see how that would go.  I started in upper Bassett and fished for 2 hours and caught a grand total of 5 fish, two of which were rainbows, one of which had a pretty serious bite out of his back.   I surrendered and hopped back in the car and headed to another spot.  I ran through 3 spider webs in the short jaunt from the car to the river, the last of which had a rather large spider in the middle of it.  I jumped in the river and picked the spider webs out of my hair and teeth and started fishing.  I caught one little brown right off the bat and then I saw nothing moving at all.  Finally I saw something move in the shallows under some bushes.  I eased up and cast under the bushes and the fished sipped it.  I set the hook and the fish bran straight at me.  As he swam by me I realized he was a nice fish.  I then realized I wasn't on the SoHo and I decided he was a really nice fish for the Smith.  As he swam by me again I realized my name isn't Peewee, Ralph or Dean and that was probably going to be my biggest fish on the Smith.  I got him and actually used my net.  He was right at 16 inches and fat and pretty.  That stretch died, so I headed to another spot to finish up.  I picked up 8 or 9 more browns and the something hit and I got him in and it was a redbreast! I fished for a while with no more luck.  I sat and watched a guy cast like he was on TV.  Walked back downstream to where I had started and reeled in and saw a tree across the river I had fished coming up river with no luck.  I decided to give it another try.   I caught 2 more fish in short order.  The last one was nipping at 15 inches.  It was not a great weekend in numbers, but the size was a definite improvement.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Woolly Bugger

good one on ya, nice to see some of the Smith's bigger fishes too!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phg

Was that your car at Rosemont with the BRFFF window sticker and a Woford bumper sticker?

I fished the Smith a little bit Sat. morning without much luck.  I caught one nice rainbow down below the parking lot where Al left his flyrod.  I will say that it was a very healthy fish, about 10" long.  Probably a holdover, but one that was feeding well. 

The cold, mist filled air kept fogging up my glasses, though, and I couldn't see to wade, so I pulled out and went down to the canoe launch at the 666 bridge.  No fog, but bright, punishing sun.  Nada. 

I then checked out Rosemont.  Two cars were already parked there.  I thought it might be you and Dean.  I never saw anyone, though.  I worked 100 yards of stream with a few bites, but nothing to hand.  I then hiked up the RR tracks to Jonbee and tried another 100 yards in there.  Again, I got a few strikes, but nothing to hand.  By then it was 2pm, and I was getting dehydrated and sun burnt, so I gave it up.  Clearly, the Smith needs to be fished in the evenings until the weather cools off a bit.

diaz dassie

So jealous! Those be some very nice size browns. ;)

Beetle

Nice work Ben!  Hate I missed you but will catch up soon.  How did that 48 degree water feel Friday night??

-0-

blue ridge angler

great stuff..
the smith sure has some purty brownies..

Al

Hate it that I missed Phg and 5x this weekend. I was up there myself but was tied up with a fly fish clinic and cabin maintenance so was not on the river as much as I would have liked. Did get out Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Will try to post a report as soon as I get caught up with emails and honey-do's

Trout Maharishi

I see the Townsend beetle is still killing them -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0-  -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0-  -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -
How you like me now TRU p;-
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

rjs123

Good job Ben!  Those are some great looking Smith River Browns for sure!  Been pretty slow for me the last couple of days. A couple dink browns and a few 12-14 inch rainbows.  Id love to get into a few of those bigger browns.  Its a big river.  Looks like its time for me to try some new places too. :)

5xTippett

Paul, that was me at Rosemont. it was slow up there which is why I left! Beetle, sorry you didnt make it, and my toes were absolutely numb when I got out! Thanks for all the compliments folks!  TM- That townsend beetle works like a charm! Thanks for the tip! When are you going to tie me some more?  -0-

gamatt53

I was at Rosemont saturday morning as well. Was in the blue honda with a Georgia sticker on it. One of you guys scared the shit out of me when I was walking through some thick stuff to leave the river. Kept hearing something crashing through the woods nearby but couldn't see anything. Saw what I think was bear scat the last time I was way up the spec regs but finally caught a glimpse of a vest. 

Anyway I had zero luck on beetles but finally connected with a few on a 18 parachute adams along a shaded bank. Saw a ton of fish but almost all of them were just hugging the bottom motionless.