Simms or Orvis LW boots

Started by Big J, January 02, 2020, 19:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Looking at wading boots and I'm between the Simms Flyweight boots and Orvis Ultralight wading boots. Leaning towards the Flyweight. Anyone have any experience with either?

Woolly Bugger

They will both tear up in a year or two — Look at all the "awards" the orvis boots got  'c;  and they are $30 less  :Dance
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jwgnc

Light-weight boots are great if you like to feel every rock and your sweetheart gives foot massages.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Dee-Vo

I've heard more negativity toward Orvis boots. That being said -- I haven't had Orvis personally. I will say that Simms replaced a pair for me that were given hell for at least 2 years. They sent me a new pair at zero charge, and for that, they've got my future business.

Big J

I kind of feel like the soles of the Orvis boots seem a little beefier.  Going to run down to the Orvis shop today and check them out.  Seem to have decent reviews and no durability complaints.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dee-Vo

@troutfanatic and @buddy_25_99 both had issues with the boots if I recall correctly. I think Brian mentioned it in the thread that I posted the link to. He had good luck with Orvis service from what I remember. Buddy has switched over to Simms for the most part.

It's funny how brands in all things (fishing products, furniture, vehicles, etc.) develop diehard customers that are loyal 'til the end, and others that won't give you a nickel for the same product. I think it's basically a cycle. You'll gain customers, and you'll lose them, then they'll be back again after someone else pisses them off.

Big J

Quote from: Dee-Vo on January 03, 2020, 10:14:52 AM@troutfanatic and @buddy_25_99 both had issues with the boots if I recall correctly. I think Brian mentioned it in the thread that I posted the link to. He had good luck with Orvis service from what I remember. Buddy has switched over to Simms for the most part.

It's funny how brands in all things (fishing products, furniture, vehicles, etc.) develop diehard customers that are loyal 'til the end, and others that won't give you a nickel for the same product. I think it's basically a cycle. You'll gain customers, and you'll lose them, then they'll be back again after someone else pisses them off.

Guess my question is more boot specific.  I usually go with Simms myself but their lower end/mid range gear quality seems to have declined imho in the past few years regarding durability.  Also I'm rough on boots.  If I get two years out of a lightweight boot, I'd be happy.  The Orvis lightweight boot has been on the market for a year longer then the Simms.  I really am interested in a lightweight boot because I'm going to Golden Trout Wilderness in July and want a boot I can hike in if I need to, but also is lightweight in the pack. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Yes, I know, I am a dick!  Sorry, I can't resist.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Big J on January 03, 2020, 10:27:32 AM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on January 03, 2020, 10:14:52 AM@troutfanatic and @buddy_25_99 both had issues with the boots if I recall correctly. I think Brian mentioned it in the thread that I posted the link to. He had good luck with Orvis service from what I remember. Buddy has switched over to Simms for the most part.

Guess my question is more boot specific.  I usually go with Simms myself but their lower end/mid range gear quality seems to have declined imho in the past few years regarding durability.  Also I'm rough on boots.  If I get two years out of a lightweight boot, I'd be happy.  The Orvis lightweight boot has been on the market for a year longer then the Simms.  I really am interested in a lightweight boot because I'm going to Golden Trout Wilderness in July and want a boot I can hike in if I need to, but also is lightweight in the pack. 

First of all, I'm envious. Congrats. I'm hoping to get out there at some point in the future.

Secondly, I guess these are out of the question --

https://www.patagonia.com/product/foot-tractor-wading-boots-aluminum-bar/79320.html?dwvar_79320_color=FGE&cgid=mens-waders#tile-19=&start=1&sz=36

The cheaper Freestones I had from Simms and the cheaper Redingtons I had didn't last maybe two years, but with very rough usage and lots of hiking. They were actually good boots, I guess.

Big J

Yes, Patagucci is out of the question. 

Hiner, you know I just wear what my wife tells me.  Take it up with her.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 03, 2020, 10:42:43 AMYes, I know, I am a dick!  Sorry, I can't resist.

There really is no place like the BRFFF -- one day we've got a detailed debate regarding scat origin, the next we've got the latest fashion in fly-fishing garb. Who knew.....

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on January 03, 2020, 10:52:36 AMYes, Patagucci is out of the question. 

Hiner, you know I just wear what my wife tells me.  Take it up with her.

Take a double dose of ecstasy and go boot-wader boot shopping.  After Orvis, stop by The Gift Niche and check out the Tervis Tumblers and Star City Afghans.  Then slip in to Polished by Claire V to get your monthly pedicure.  Happy day on The Market!

Big J

Went with the Whorvis UltraLights.  Seemed like quality but time will tell.  Salesmen thought they matched my Pedicure.