News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Brookie land

Started by benben, August 22, 2013, 21:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

After work today Peter P and I made our annual summer pilgrimage to the land of tourists, blueberries, black bears, brookies and blueberries.  We fished the section up from the upper, lesser travelled bridge which I hadn't fished before.  What this area lacks in fishing makes up for in beauty.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Field testing some anointed flies I received from The Holy One.  Thanks again TM.

Doug, what is this?

Dougfish

A great looking day on a high stream!  -0- 'c;
Trillium fruit, BTW.

tomato can

excellent photos!  Excellent TR.

The Dude

Those orange foam flies will be money for the October caddis hatch.  Its probably time to start keeping an eye out for those critters popping up soon.

Excellent photography, btw.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

bullship

Nice. I haven't been up there in a decade or more.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

benben reincarnated

Quote from: The Dude on August 23, 2013, 06:23:51 AM
Those orange foam flies will be money for the October caddis hatch.  Its probably time to start keeping an eye out for those critters popping up soon.

I thought the same thing, definitely need to save them for a bit longer before using them all.

Quote from: Dougfish on August 22, 2013, 22:22:36 PM
Trillium fruit, BTW.

Thanks Doug, I figured Trillium, but the "fruit" threw me off.  I had seen it plenty times before just never got a positive id.

OldDominionAngler

Good stuff Ben.  I dig that little box of flies.   'c;

Big J

Good stuff.  That is a cool looking stream.

wind_knot

Benben, just let it go all ready man!! (Your thumb nail that is!!)

The Altoid tin fly box is pretty awesome indeed! Beautiful lookin troots!! Really cool area. I like the bear sign.

"Try to fight back with any available object."

It may only be a 9mm, but I guarantee I'm going to drop all 11 into him if I get a chance!!

Grannyknot

That was one of the first streams I fished for Brook trout in.  It is beautiful.
Great pictures.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Big J

Quote from: wind_knot on August 23, 2013, 07:22:21 AM

The Altoid tin fly box is pretty awesome indeed! Beautiful lookin troots!! Really cool area. I like the bear sign.

It may only be a 9mm, but I guarantee I'm going to drop all 11 into him if I get a chance!!

A 9mm into a bear is a lot like a BB gun into a person.  It hurts, and if your lucky you could do some damage, but slim chances.  I will say you have a better chance with a 9mm than most other handgun calibers.  .40 and .45 are just too slow of rounds compared to the 9.  Bear spray is where it's at if your concerned with bear attacks.  I carry a 9mm in the woods for other creatures, but not bears and I don't even begin to think I can stop a bear with it. 

P.S. I'm just trying to derail Ben's thread because I'm jealous of his trip.  ;D

wind_knot

Yeah, the 9mm is obviously a VERY small cal, but it's better than nothing (I hope).

(I don't have bear spray)

P.P.S So am I. It looks like it was a hell of a trip!

benben reincarnated

Quote from: wind_knot on August 23, 2013, 07:22:21 AM

Fuck that.  I'm not touching my nail.  It still hurts pretty bad.  It will just have to fall off naturally.  Although now going on two months I'm not sure how much longer it should take.

I do love that they are clearly stating "playing dead is not appropriate"....aka do it and you are fucked.

AL trout bum

Great report and pics Ben, another tally for the TG-1 with those pics.

Quote from: Big J on August 23, 2013, 07:38:44 AM
A 9mm into a bear is a lot like a BB gun into a person.  It hurts, and if your lucky you could do some damage, but slim chances....and I don't even begin to think I can stop a bear with it. 

I'll add to the thread derailment. A 9mm is not the most adequate gun for the job, but you're telling me a 9mm round to the head won't deter (or even kill) a 200lb bear? I bet it will. I hope I never have to find out, but I bet it will work just fine. A .357 would probably be better. I just hope they run when they see me. For some reason black bears scare the shit out of me. So much that I am scared to camp next month in the smokies. There, I said it.  :embarassed:
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Big J

Quote from: AL trout bum on August 23, 2013, 11:21:11 AM

Quote from: Big J on August 23, 2013, 07:38:44 AM
A 9mm into a bear is a lot like a BB gun into a person.  It hurts, and if your lucky you could do some damage, but slim chances....and I don't even begin to think I can stop a bear with it. 

I'll add to the thread derailment. A 9mm is not the most adequate gun for the job, but you're telling me a 9mm round to the head won't deter (or even kill) a 200lb bear? I bet it will. I hope I never have to find out, but I bet it will work just fine. A .357 would probably be better. I just hope they run when they see me. For some reason black bears scare the shit out of me. So much that I am scared to camp next month in the smokies. There, I said it.  :embarassed:

I am by no means an expert.  I personally don't think a 9mm will go through a bear skulls head every time, but never said it wouldn't.  A well placd BB can kill a person too.  I also don't think the majority of people can hit a charging bear square in the skull in 10 seconds under pressure, on top of a percentage that the bullet won't penetrate the skull every time either.  Body shots yes and maybe a lucky head shot every once in a while, but nothing reliable.  Some good points brought up by some knowledgable guys in the link below.  Quoted a couple good points directly.  There are times a 9 mm won't even go through a human skull.

"your typical black bear skull at its thickest point is less than 1/4 inch thick. There is actually a point on the top of the skull, well back from the eyes, that when the skull is dried you can actually see light throught it. The thickness is not what stops the bullet. When a bear is looking at you the skull angles away at a 20 or 30 degree angle. Now take that same 3/8" steel plate that a 308 will blow holes through all day and lay it down at that angle and see what happens."

"Old Alaskan proverb on this subject: Save the last one for yourself. That way it wont hurt as bad when the bear eats on you."

"An angry\ scared\ cornered bear is serious business. We took one in north PA, everyone on the mountain hit it, when he finally went down, he was on another valley from where he started with 19 heavy caliber rifle rounds in him (counted up by the guy who butchered the meat) ,6 or 7 in the boiler room as far as we could tell. Beautiful black bear, weighed in around 350 or so."

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_7/621252_.html&page=2