News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Native Tree/Plant Plight

Started by Onslow, February 23, 2019, 14:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Plant the damn trees! 

Common sense most prevail when selecting sites for plantings.  Reclaimed mining land in WV would be a good place start planting.  None of this is complicated.

troutrus

Current "leadership" will likely only consider one question. Will it be good for the stock market?

Woolly Bugger

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/tennessee-trying-to-bring-back-the-nearly-extinct-american-chestnut-tree/51-30408ae1-205d-4ffb-9a04-4cb5165a6ddf

MORRISTOWN, Tenn. — The Tennessee Environmental Council planted hybrid American Chestnut trees at Panther Creek State Park Tuesday. It's part of an effort to bring back the once thriving tree in a new way.
The trees once dominated our region, but a foreign disease and blight wiped them out in the early 1900s.
Now, every hole shoveled and every sapling planted is a step in the right direction for the American Chestnut tree.

"It was one of the main sources of hardwood and actually food," Boling explained. "Native Americans, when the American chestnuts started dying, they actually thought the world was gonna end."
Although the volunteers on Tuesday have never seen a live and native American Chestnut, they're hoping the hybrids will live for generations to come.

"That's the main reason I do this is to watch the growth," Boling added.
The group plans to plant trees in five parks across the state. The public is encouraged to stop at the groves, to water the trees and learn more about them.
The organization will plant more trees in Crossville Wednesday.
This initiative and research is through the American Chestnut Foundation. Tennessee State Parks and the Bonnaroo Works Fund are also contributors.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

JMiller

Most of what I do for a living is rare plant community preservation/restoration work.
Here's a video I made of my crew at work the other day.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

22midge

I would love to have seen the chestnut back in the day . I sawed chestnut logs that come from Tenn (park ) back in the early 70's that we had to take an ax and cut edges from each side so they would travel down a 48" belt to an edger. There was rot on the outside for about 3" then it was solid grade lumber. All the lumber went to Lenoir for Broyhill Furniture .
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Woolly Bugger

Chestnut dreams: In Nelson County, growers bring back a local delicacy

QuoteThe couple stumbled on the notion of chestnut farming as they researched many potential crops. Luckily for them, and for everyone who enjoys eating chestnuts, there are now hybrid varieties available that are bred to resist blight. The Bryants chose the variety Dunstan: 95 percent American chestnut, with 5 percent Chinese chestnut genes offering protection from disease.

https://www.c-ville.com/chestnut-dreams-in-nelson-county-growers-bring-back-a-local-delicacy/

https://chestnuthilltreefarm.com/shop/dunstan-chestnut/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

What Happened To The American Chestnut Tree?

https://www.npr.org/player/embed/789819025/790033790

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Why Bring Nature Home?

Quoten his book "Bring Nature Home," Douglass Tallamy explains why native plants are so important to the food web to which we are all connected. His research centered around butterflies, moths and the plants that were critical as food (flowers) and as host plants for reproduction. All told there are often hundreds of species that rely on native plants.
The symbiotic relationship between butterfly and native plant is also true for many other native insects, birds, and animals. They do not thrive without the native plants with which they evolved. Furthermore, the food web all species rely on, including us, is weakened without native plants.

The challenge is that in today's world of global commerce, modern horticulture trade, and promotion of pesticides, many of the native plants are outcompeted by invasive species and the beneficial native bugs are killed by pesticides.

https://www.theintelligencer.net/life/columns/2020/01/why-bring-nature-home/

me -There's a season?

Rhody

My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Woolly Bugger

a rather attractive pest

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 20, 2020, 15:27:10 PMa rather attractive pest

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Good eats for guinea fowl.

Woolly Bugger

Sheltering in Place in Manhattan—With 18 American Chestnut Saplings

Disease and logging nearly wiped out the towering trees in the early 20th century. Now the pandemic endangers a one-man operation trying to help the species endure.

>>>The survivors were crammed into the back of a gray Subaru that pulled up to an illegal parking spot a block down from my home just east of Ground Zero. Their savior, a Lorax-resembling retiree named Bart Chezar, had spirited them across the East River from Park Slope, Brooklyn. As he handed them over, he slipped me a bag of bagels as payment for the service I was to render. Then, looking tenderly at the fragile bunch, he whispered some parting advice: "The best way to kill them is to water them too much. The second-best way to kill them is to not water them enough."

https://www.audubon.org/news/sheltering-place-manhattan-18-american-chestnut-saplings
me -There's a season?