Unlimited Local Bands, small music venues

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 16, 2019, 09:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Keith, dinky town of Elkin thanks you for your patronage. Debbie Carson has labored may hours to modernize the Reeves, and to make it relevant again.  She is a very nice lady, and lives just a few houses up the street from me.

Woolly Bugger

with all the bars closed there isn't an opportunity to go out and listen to live music, but many musicians are hosting live shows on FB and Youtube. They are playing from there homes and empty bars.

Jonathan Byrd and The Pickup Cowboys are still doing there weekly show from the Kraken you can catch live shows on Wednesday evenings from 7 - 10...

The shows are also archived for your viewing pleasure

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Here is a band from my college years, Sam Frasier on guitar is still playing in the triad area with his band The Side Effects, which includes Tornado drummer Cliff Gleeson. Saw them at the Doodad Farm last night!

give 'em a listen...

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

They might sound better if I was still on drugs
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Well technically you quit every time you run out :cheers
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

good music, good people, sam has left the building...
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

went to the NC Fold Fest Friday/Saturday/Sunday and listen to a bunch of music

Friday:

The UNCG Old-Time Ensemble leading a community jam session

Songs of Hope and Justice (Sam Frazierr/Laurelyn Dossett/Molly MCGinn/and many others

Alsarah & the Nubatones

Saturday

The Mari Black Trio

Wycliffe Gordon

Sunday

Conjunto Guantanamo

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

https://www.uncsa.edu/performances/stevens-center/performances.aspx

Time to indulge before Jerome Powell's and Biden's inflation burns our wallets. Buying cheap shit from overseas is dumb and lame anyway.  The demand for art is not excessive at the moment. Fuck all the negativity, and embrace beauty.

Woolly Bugger

Sam was a staple in Winston while I was in HS and College and loved the Guitar Shop too which was down the street from my business. Support the project and Sam's legacy by purchasing a CD or MP3 downloads from amazon.

Buy from Amazon; Blues Approves
or local at School Kids Records

Rediscovered recordings showcase work of local guitar legend Sam Moss

Sam Moss was a legendary musician in Winston-Salem for decades after his arrival in the 1960s. He was considered a mentor to many people, whether it was on the stage, or in the downtown guitar shop that he owned. But very little of his work has been heard by the public aside from his concert performances. That's changed with the recent release of an album of re-discovered recordings Moss left behind.

The project began when musician and Winston-Salem native Chris Stamey took a pandemic break to go through some old tapes of his former band, the dB's.

"I found a master of Sam Moss that I didn't realize existed, and it was a fantastic track, a song called 'Rooster Blood,'" he says. "Once that King Tut tomb kind of opened, I found a few more things on an associated reel and started talking to people and other tapes surfaced. We found it was really a whole album."

Mitch Easter, a musician and producer who found fame with the band Let's Active, made the recordings in Chapel Hill more than 40 years ago. Stamey says Moss' mentorship helped him, Easter and others create the music scene in Winston-Salem during that era.

"Sam Moss came to town in I think 1968 fully formed as a great guitar player," he says. "And we were all trying to break the code of, you know, what is Eric Clapton doing? What is Buddy Guy doing and what is B.B. King doing? And Sam knew it and he would show us kids how it was done. He was like a light in the wilderness for all of our circle in the late 60s and early 70s."

Moss was known more as a performer than a songwriter. That's one of the exciting things about the release — it features a handful of songs that Moss actually wrote.

https://www.wfdd.org/story/rediscovered-recordings-showcase-work-local-guitar-legend-sam-moss

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment. 

Awesome night at Secca!

Note: if I get Covid it probably came from here

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Just discovered this youtube channel

Take's Live Bluegrass Channel

here is a sample of the great soundboard recordings...

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Damn the Covid, full speed ahead.

We went to hear Mary Chapin Carpenter and band at the Carolina Theater last night.

It was a great show, and her band was tight. I didn't get the names of all of them but the piano / organ player was Jon Carroll, her long time bass player who hales from Chapel Hill, a great guitar player who's name escapes me (Sam Wilon or Watson or ???) and a drummer who resides in Nashville. I'm surprised that I can't find their names on the interwebs.

Edit; found them on the insta

Sam Wilson - Guitar
Jon Carroll - Piano
Alan Cox-Allen - Bass
Lorne Entress - Drums
Mary Chapin Carpenter - Vocals / Guitar

Anyway, it was great to be out in a sold-out venue with some great music.

Set List;
1) Why Shouldn't We
2) Passionate Kisses (Lucinda Williams cover)
3) Shut Up and Kiss Me
4) Stones in the Road
5) Secret Keepers
6) No Fear
7) I Take My Chances
8 ) Girl and Her Dog (Solo, new song)
9)Everybody's Got Something
10) Why Walk When You Can Fly
11) I Feel Lucky
12) The Bug (Dire Straits cover)
13) Between the Dirt and the Stars
14) He Thinks He'll Keep Her (with Brandy Clark)
15) The Hard Way (with Brandy Clark)

Encore:
Down at the Twist and Shout
me -There's a season?

troutboy_II

I love living in Greenvile, SC.  Close to trouts in WNC, etc., but we just don't have decent music venues for music like above.  Used to have the Handlebar which was awesome for many years, but gone for almost 10 years now. Peace Center is great for Broadway shows, etc., but too damn expensive for smaller shows.

Be thankful you have great venues near you.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.