1974 Martin D-35 (acoustic guitar)

Started by rbphoto, June 28, 2012, 07:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto

I bought this from Gruhn's in 1993 as a college graduation gift to myself.

I played it incessantly for years and then realized it needed some TLC from a luthier to fix some factory-caused and travel-worn issues.  For a few years the folks in the Martin factory cut neck blanks on the wrong side of the measured mark which put the intonation just a wee bit out of whack.  I had http://www.randyhughesguitars.com/ work his magic.  He did the following:

Neck reset w/ intonation repair

New ebony bridge

New bone nut & saddle

New fretboard & frets

New pickguard

New ebony bridge & endpins with mother-of-pearl inlay

I have kept it in a temperature and humidity-controlled environment since it returned to me nearly 4 years ago.

The tone on this guitar is amazing.  The coloration is rich.

It is setup for medium strings and alternate tunings resonate deeply with this guitar.

It needs a good home where someone will treasure and care for this guitar, but above all, it needs to be PLAYED. 

It comes in a Martin hardshell case and I prefer pickup or hand-delivery instead of shipping something like this.

I'm in the Upstate SC area and will gladly arrange to meet someone for an extended time to play and look at the guitar if I know they are serious about it.

I spent more on the repairs than I did on the guitar and I've owned it for 19 years.  It's not cheap, therefore, please inquire only if you understand what these guitars are worth and seriously would like to own it.

I will post some sound clips in a few days, once I get them recorded and uploaded.

Now the pics:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

S/N confirms this as a 1974 model

These and a few more pics can be found here:  http://www.rbphotostudio.net/d-35

Thanks.

Raymond
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

WRector

She's a work of art!!!  Wish I could play worth a lick... 
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

kylemc

Keep it man. You will regret letting her go. I play a 1970 D 18 that I had the same repairs done to by John Arnold. I love it! I let go of a D 28 and have been kicking my self in the ass over it every since the day she left.

Keep it.

Those are some great pics by the way.

rbphoto

Kyle,

I have regretted selling some things in life, but I've debated this since 2008 and feel like, for me, it's the right decision.

I hate seeing the case sitting in the closet.  I hate pulling it out on a regular basis to check the thermostat & humidistat, pulling out the distilled water, setting up the whole "caregiver" process only to return it to it's case without ever having time to really play it.

Also, I love the tone of this guitar, but I prefer the overall sound of non-dreadnought guitars.  What I really want is an all KOA Taylor concert/jumbo/grand auditorium model. 

Besides, guitars are a lot like flyrods - you can never have enough.  I always want one more, or a different one.

I just really want this one to have a great home.  It's not one of those high-dollar investment grade guitars.  It's not a late '60's Brazilian Rosewood Martin, but because of the way it's been cared for, the way it's been played and the wood has purposefully been toned (by me) over the last 19 years (and it already sounded pretty doggone good when I got it), then it sounds a lot like a more expensive guitar without quite the premium.  Don't get me wrong - I could buy a semi-decent drift boat or a lot of fly gear for what I expect to get out of this one.

Raymond

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish