News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fly Fishing UT

Started by Feather Chucker, August 12, 2013, 09:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feather Chucker

My wife's family has a reunion in a different place every 2yrs. This time they picked Park City, UT. She has some other family in Ogden too. I was able to get out and fish the Provo, Ogden Canyon and the Weber

The Provo is an interesting place. The water doesn't seem that high but the rocks are what make it interesting. You have to cross the stream many times to where you want and the rocks constantly move. You feel like you're rollilng rather than wading. It's sketchy as hell.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

These husks were all over but I couldn't get a fish to hit a stonefly pattern. I actually didn't have luck with much of anything. There was rumors that the Green Drake hatch was going off but I couldn't find them. I did catch a few fish on a drake pattern. My best luck was with streamers. I hardly ever fish big streamers for trout. This trip changed my whole way of thinking.

I wish I tried a mouse pattern. Walking threw the grass I'd see rodents crossing the trail all the time. The fish were obviously used to eating big things. The follows on the streamers were intense and I had a blast watching the fishes behavior even when I didn't catch them.

Of course the catching part is great too.

Ogden canyon reminded me of the Sierra Nevada's in CA. I could have spent my whole 2 weeks here and been happy. The fish are small but they are plentiful and feisty.

All of the fish looked healthy. The fishing is so much different than fishing in NC. Instead of catching all bows and the occasional brown the situation is reversed. All you catch are browns.

Most of the fish are caught in pools like this. The fish have learned to cartwheel while fighting. I think because they know they can't run far.

The Weber doesn't look like it would hold trout. It looks dingy and has a lot of grass in it. It's lined with these huge boulders that look cool but would crush you if they moved and you fell in between them.

There was one spot that had deep holes in between clumps of grass. I cast towards one of the holes and my cast fell short. It drifted over some grass and all of a sudden it looked like a huge clump of grass moved and was following the fly. The thing followed for about 3feet hit the fly and turned. I could tell by the color it was a big brown. I set the hook and when the fish started thrashing I thought for sure I was going to lose it. This was the biggest trout I have ever hooked.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I didn't have my net with me and this fish would act calm but as soon as I got close it would go crazy. I eventually walked the fish backwards into some shallow water where I could land it.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

By far my biggest trout.

The scenery of all the UT rivers was great. I wish I could have fished them more. I hoped to get a cutthroat and and my last day I was able to hook one and get a pic. I only caught two this whole trip and both looked like they could have been brown trout bait.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

If you ever get a chance to come to UT. Definitely check out these rivers.

Transylwader

Well played Kev! Excellent brownage. I have been sneaking round Cary chasing grassies this summer to NO AVAIL! Holler sometime...

Dougfish

Well, ain't nothing wrong with that! Nicely done, sir. 'c;

5xTippett

I am officially impressed!

Feather Chucker

Quote from: Transylwader on August 12, 2013, 09:15:31 AM
Well played Kev! Excellent brownage. I have been sneaking round Cary chasing grassies this summer to NO AVAIL! Holler sometime...

I haven't had a grassy sniff a fly in about a year. I can't seem to find a consistent spot for carp.

Woolly Bugger

Well played! What kind of tires do you roll on?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Feather Chucker

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 12, 2013, 14:11:59 PM

You mean wading boots? Felt Soul Chotas if you're asking.

wind_knot

TheYiman

Nice report.  You fished some of my old stomping grounds from when I lived in SLC.  Those were some nice browns you tangled with.

I hear you on the rocks of the Provo.

sanjuanwormhatch

Goodyear or michelin, mf'er.  Put up or shut up.

wind_knot

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on August 13, 2013, 04:41:32 AM
Goodyear or michelin, mf'er.  Put up or shut up.

Real fly fishers roll BFG's!!!! ;D ;D

Aka

First: thanks for the fine report and accompanying photos.

Second: thanks for not being a numb-nuts asking for 'intel' on a western trip. That's what I expected going into this, but it was serendipitous to find a high quality report instead.

Did you get that big brown on a streamer? it's tough fishing the grass like that, did some on Hot Creek outside Bishop/ Mammoth last year, don't know how you would streamer fish it if you did.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Feather Chucker on August 12, 2013, 15:07:34 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 12, 2013, 14:11:59 PM

You mean wading boots? Felt Soul Chotas if you're asking.

That was just a joke, see the barf thread for the inside reference

Thanks for the great report
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

twinbridges

Feather Chucker

Quote from: AK Aaron on August 13, 2013, 12:02:24 PM
First: thanks for the fine report and accompanying photos.

Second: thanks for not being a numb-nuts asking for 'intel' on a western trip. That's what I expected going into this, but it was serendipitous to find a high quality report instead.

Did you get that big brown on a streamer? it's tough fishing the grass like that, did some on Hot Creek outside Bishop/ Mammoth last year, don't know how you would streamer fish it if you did.

Thanks Aaron,

I caught the fish using my favorite fly a "white wooly bugger"

The other large browns were caught with an olive articulated streamer like a circus peanut. I love the Bishop/Mammoth Area. I grew up fishing that area as a kid. My family would camp at Big Pine\Lee Vining\Tom's Place every summer. I learned to fish there.