News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dougfish

The old 9 - 9 generation schedule sucks the big one. I've had a good roll going and I wanted to fish, but I probably won't get out this weekend, so I slipped out the door early and headed for the river. I was the only peckerhead there and the sulphurs were sporadically popping off and fish were rising as far as the eye could see.
Got my dry/dropper sorted out and slowly waded in. Third cast, fish. A few more, fish. It went like that for about two hours with a few slow spots thrown in. They took the soft hackle emerger about 2:1 over the dry. A lot of 10"+ fish today to go with the usual suspects. Hope Al and the boys whack 'em this weekend!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Woolly Bugger

that's not a bad way to start the day...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

OK, round two after yesterday's slap down. Al needed some Wounded Warrior help, and I have a women who lets me get away. A 6:30AM kiss on the cheek and gone. I gathered Joe at Al's cabin and we hit the the lower hay field, a section he had never fished. Cool! Fish were not as eager as yesterday, but we scored.

0:0  And Salute!

Big J

Cool cool.  Flows back to normal down there?

gamatt53

I was up there with the Pup yesterday afternoon as well - just about the same result as last time except they wanted an emerger. Good way to spend a saturday

Dougfish

Quote from: Big J on June 23, 2013, 13:29:18 PM
Cool cool.  Flows back to normal down there?

Looking good for generation for the near future. The late sulphur hatch will be under generation though.  b';

Quote from: gamatt53 on June 23, 2013, 16:43:58 PM
I was up there with the Pup yesterday afternoon as well - just about the same result as last time except they wanted an emerger. Good way to spend a saturday

I noticed a couple of NC tags alongside us when I took out at noonish. Trestle pool action? Emerger...check!

Al

Big shout out and thank you to Doug and Larry for helping me with a Wounded Warriors / Project Healing Waters group this past weekend. As most of you know I'm a vet from another era. I remember how we were treated when we came home. In my own little way I've vowed to do what I can to make sure our current veterans do not experience the same thing. We did a good thing this past weekend.

No one got hurt, everyone caught fish, we had fun and if my empty food locker is a good indicator :o, everyone put on a little weight.

More detailed report to follow when I retrieve my camera's SD card from my cabin kitchen table - likely next weekend.

Woolly Bugger

Responding to my daughter's question, I replied, "Well, you could go to church". To which she replied, "Why? You don't go".  "I went to church last night, I was on the river," I stated. "That's not church," she retorted. "It's my church! I listened to the birds chirping, waiting for the sulfurs to hatch and the fish to rise. I watched the birds sweep down over the water, picking bugs off the surface. How do they do that? The nymphs are emerging under the water and they molt on the surface and are there for only a few seconds before they fly away. How do the birds see them and swoop down and pick them off the surface? I mean, I can see them, but the birds are flying around, while I'm just standing there and watching. It's really amazing, so yes, I was at church last night," I explained.

I expected sulfurs, but I got midges, the fish weren't really rising, and I refused to nymph, I thought about it, but decided to drink a beer and wait, hoping that the evening would bring on a hatch like I've seen before. "Are they done for the season", I asked myself?  I rigged up the ole Orvis Bamboo,  man, they feels heavy, especially after fishing with the One Ounce last weekend. Got into the groove, feeling the rod throw the line out there like only bamboo can do. I managed to catch a few of the smallest brown trout. An angler upstream from me, fishing the flat water, casting up against the rhododendron covered far bank, set the hook with a Bill Dance special, "A little less pepper on the hook-set," I yelled. Laughing, he replied, "Too much slack in the line".

There were a few sulfurs but not many, and the midges were taking over. I sat down and drank another beer.

Finally the fish were looking up a little and I managed to catch a number of the regulars and a stocked rainbow too. This was the first rainbow that I've caught in this section of the river, I hope it's not a sign of the future.

As the sun set a small number of sulfurs hatched along with a billion midges and a few more fish were caught. Nice evening of the river with the dog.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

Nice, WB. You are a patient SOB. I throw on the dropper from the get go and start casting! /'/
And I always catch bows that have washed down in that section. Also, I've scored a couple of the "rainbows don't reproduce in the Smith" wild ones, too.

consumnfire1229

I decided to see what was doing on Sunday.  Much of the same.  Blazing hot temps pushed me out until the evening hours.  Even worse, two guys were already where I wanted to start the day, so it pushed me further down the tracks in the heat  b';

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

Sporadic rises and no real bug activity to speak of...

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

Doug - Do you recognize that fly?

[attach=5]

[attach=6]

[attach=7]

In the last half hour, Sulphurs started to break the surface.  I guess it was a hatch if you want to call it that?  One of the last...

[attach=8]

[attach=9]

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Dougfish

Quote from: consumnfire1229 on July 01, 2013, 06:39:41 AM

[attach=4]

You're sinking pretty low to be using my secret weapon.  :-*

CaddisMan

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 30, 2013, 14:33:50 PM

Responding to my daughter's question, I replied, "Well, you could go to church". To which she replied, "Why? You don't go".  "I went to church last night, I was on the river," I stated. "That's not church," she retorted. "It's my church! I listened to the birds chirping, waiting for the sulfurs to hatch and the fish to rise. I watched the birds sweep down over the water, picking bugs off the surface. How do they do that? The nymphs are emerging under the water and they molt on the surface and are there for only a few seconds before they fly away. How do the birds see them and swoop down and pick them off the surface? I mean, I can see them, but the birds are flying around, while I'm just standing there and watching. It's really amazing, so yes, I was at church last night," I explained.

Amen.

CaddisMan

Caddis larvae, perhaps... com'on, give it up...

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on July 01, 2013, 06:45:36 AM

[attach=4]

You're sinking pretty low to be using my secret weapon.  :-*

Ah, his fleshy looking dropper.  Looks like the cat is out of the bag doug  ;D

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on July 01, 2013, 06:05:43 AM
Nice, WB. You are a patient SOB. I throw on the dropper from the get go and start casting! /'/
And I always catch bows that have washed down in that section. Also, I've scored a couple of the "rainbows don't reproduce in the Smith" wild ones, too.

I was lucky to have some beer and the dog with me to pass the time while waiting for those few remaining sulfurs.. I didn't get into a good hatch on the Smith this year... damn dams!
me -There's a season?