unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on June 23, 2021, 11:33:13 AMVegas needs to go bye bye. It is an utterly useless black hole of excess and gluttony. Cruise ships as well.

I nominate Gatlinburg
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

'Less water means more gas': how drought will test California's stressed power grid
California's diminishing water supply is cutting down hydropower, causing the state to rely more on fossil fuels

>>> Earlier this month, the water level in Lake Oroville – California's second-largest reservoir – was so low that dozens of houseboats were hauled out. There wasn't enough water to hold them.
In a few weeks, officials say, the lake's water levels are likely to dip even lower – forcing them to shut down one of the state's largest hydroelectric power plants for the first time since it was built in 1967.
Amid a historic megadrought, the climate crisis and energy crisis in California are about to collide, and set off a vicious cycle. The state's diminishing water supply is cutting down hydropower, and California is relying more on fossil fuels as extreme summer heat drives up electricity use.

https://apple.news/AVSRAMEB6SFmoD3qGiDuceQ
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/26/1010521100/population-is-booming-in-the-west-but-theres-not-enough-water-to-keep-up-with-it

The real estate market is hot. So what happens if there's not enough water to build new homes? Colorado Public Radio's Michael Elizabeth Sakas reports on one city's struggles to grow in a dry state.

On the east side of Colorado Springs, flags and billboards line the roads advertising homes for sale - turn here. Hundreds of new units are under construction, and each requires water.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Trout habitat will be lost in western Colorado drought
Most of a trout fishery on the Dolores river is expected to be lost in this years drought.

https://www.9news.com/article/weather/weather-colorado/trout-habitat-will-be-lost-western-colorado-drought/73-0e10cff3-9c9e-47a9-971b-245370c77fa1
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Drought, heat, fire force fishing ban on Colorado River

DENVER (AP) — Colorado wildlife officials on Wednesday urged anglers to avoid fishing along a stretch of the Colorado River because low flows during a historic drought in the U.S. West, critically warm water temperatures and sediment runoff from wildfire burn scars are all starving trout of oxygen.

The move along a 120-mile (193-kilometer) stretch of the river — unusual so early in the summer — is another consequence of the record heat and drought that's afflicted the American West. The voluntary fishing ban runs from the town of Kremmling in north-central Colorado to Rifle in the western part of the state.

"The extreme drought on the Western Slope, plus the sediment and debris in the waterway, have created a really challenging situation for fish," said Travis Duncan, spokesman for Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

https://apnews.com/article/colorado-colorado-river-fish-fires-business-673c886864667cac4d3076195b9a976f
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

The Yampa shut down after I left.
 -p-
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

'Unrecognizable.' Lake Mead, a lifeline for water in Los Angeles and the West, tips toward crisis

>>>LAKE MEAD, Nev. — Eric Richins looked out from his pontoon boat to the shallows on the lake's western edge. He squinted and paused as if he had come upon a foreign shore. For the first time in a career navigating the waters of the American West, he didn't know where he was.
"I could have sworn I was here just six weeks ago catching smallmouth and bigmouth bass," said the 35-year-old fisherman who runs tours on this 247-square-mile basin where the Colorado River meets the Hoover Dam to form the nation's largest reservoir.

He pointed ahead to what looked like dozens of tiny steps made from successive layers of dried mud now covered in tall grass and weeds — the effect of rapidly creeping vegetation over a shoreline that has been dropping by nearly a foot a week.

"Now it looks like a lawn. I knew the drought was bad. I didn't realize it was this bad," he said. "This place is unrecognizable."

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-07-11/lake-mead-hoover-dam-drought-nevada-arizona-california
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Extreme actions underway to ensure Glen Canyon Dam can continue to generate power
Flaming Gorge will drop by 4 feet to keep water levels at Lake Powell above critical threshold for power generation

>>>The growing crisis on the Colorado River came into sharper focus last week when the Bureau of Reclamation began emergency releases from Flaming Gorge Reservoir to shore up Lake Powell's declining levels, now at historic lows.

The move will bolster Powell's level by 3 feet in hopes of preventing it from dropping to a point where Glen Canyon Dam would not be able to generate electrical power, according to the agency's Upper Colorado regional director Wayne Pullan.

These releases from Flaming Gorge and two other reservoirs were triggered by interstate agreements crafted in response to historic drought conditions that are stressing water supplies across the West.

>>>The releases will lower Flaming Gorge Reservoir, on the Green River, by 4 feet. Additionally, New Mexico's Navajo Lake on the San Juan River will give up 2 feet, while Colorado's Blue Mesa Reservoir on the Gunnison River will forfeit 8 feet.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2021/07/19/feds-release-water-down/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Western Slope braces for Blue Mesa Reservoir drawdown

>>>The day water managers never hoped to see has arrived: Blue Mesa Reservoir will contribute water to keep the hydropower turbines at Lake Powell operational, as called for under the Upper Basin Drought Response Operations Agreement.

"This is a drastic time. We've never seen this before," State Rep. Marc Catlin, R-Montrose, said.

"This is one of the things we had agreed upon, that this would be the first action the Bureau (of Reclamation) took."

https://www.montrosepress.com/news/western-slope-braces-for-blue-mesa-reservoir-drawdown/article_e830a01c-eb65-11eb-bb4b-43f45e51adf9.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Listen to a postcast; Arizona Edition

>>>The threats to the Colorado River are many – climate change, overuse, invasive species, dozens of planned diversion projects, pollution – and that has motivated action up and down the river's shores by a variety committed activists and regular people.

On this week's Arizona Edition we talk with Gary Wockner, Executive Director and co-founder of the group SAVE THE COLORADO, out of Fort Collins, Colorado.

audio link in this page...

https://www.kawc.org/post/arizona-edition-saving-colorado-river
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

New plan slows Lake Mead decline by paying farms not to plant crops

>>>Officials in Lower Colorado River Basin states want to slow the decline of Lake Mead's water levels over the next few years by paying Southern California farmers not to plant crops.

It's not a plan that Bill Hasencamp, manager of Colorado River resources for the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, considers a "drought buster," but it will reduce lake level decline by up to 3 feet over the next three years, he said.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/new-plan-slows-lake-mead-decline-by-paying-farms-not-to-plant-crops-2418280/
me -There's a season?

troutrus