BP -- do they know what ther're doing?

Started by BRFFF, May 24, 2010, 18:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does BP really have a handle on the situation?

Yes and I'm confident the Top Kill attempt on Wednesday will work!
0 (0%)
Hell no, they are shooting in the dark.
3 (16.7%)
Jed Clampett knew more about gushers than BP
9 (50%)
BP Stands for Brainless Pinheads!
4 (22.2%)
I had a gusher at bandcamp
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

BRFFF

dnakamoto

jkilday4

I'm heading to Fort Myers, FL for vacation next week & am considering a tarpon outing...but wondering if they are all out of whack, dead or who knows, I'll have to look into it.  Anyone heard anything?  I found this excerpt from http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/30/roundup-reports-and-perspectives-on-the-oil-spill/ on-line:

WPLG-TV: The tarpon fish threatened 

Among the wildlife that could be affected by the oil spill is the tarpon fish, CNN affiliate WPLG-TV reports. The tarpon, the icon of Florida's $10 billion fishing industry, grows up to 10 feet long and can live for 80 years. Before it swims into Florida's waters, the tarpon grows up in the Gulf of Mexico. 

"The entire path of which they are operating is under assault, if you will," said Gerald Ault, a marine biologist who studies tarpon migration at the University of Miami's Rosensteil School. "The timing, really, for that animal probably couldn't be any worse because this is right in the middle of peak spawning period." 

Ault has detailed charts that map the location of the oil rig explosion off the coast of Louisiana and its slick growing larger than West Virginia. The projected path of the oil, if it is carried east around the Florida peninsula, mirrors the tarpons' migratory pattern, Ault said. 

"It's going to seriously impact or have an impact on Florida fisheries both in the Gulf and the southeastern U.S.," Ault said. 

There's a tar-pun in there somewhere...

But seriously, I think BP should wind up bankrupt after this ordeal, but you know they won't be... >:(

diaz dassie

Quote from: dnakamoto on May 24, 2010, 18:49:47 PM
And so it begins ..... http://www.wral.com/weather/story/7659328/
This is BS. Imagine the price on shrimp and other Gulf sea food. For fuck sakes :'(

flip

I dont think the oil has reached Florida's west coast yet. If it has, you can drive a few hours south to Flamingo Ntl Park. It is on the southern tip of dry land, slightly west. I was there a few years ago fishing the back country for snook and I saw some really big brutes. One tarpon , I could not wrap my arms around it. It must have been pushing 200 pounds. Good luck

flatlander

I don't know about Ft Myers, but according to our guide in the keys: "best start to tarpon season ever!."

snagaluffaguss