News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fishing in the rain

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 22, 2009, 23:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Drove on up to Brevard with Sally and suited up in the DRO parking lot while waiting for Karl. He called to say he was going to be early. I got there at 7:55, he arrived 20 minutes later... While I waited for him I picked up some 'supplies'.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

We drove on up the river and hiked down to a spot trying to avoid the angler hatch despite the weather.
Red midges and jujubees brought the occasional rainbow to hand.

exploring down the river we found the remnants of maharishi 's yurt and a cache left over from his expedition.

Sally waited patiently in the rain and still showed no interest in the fish.

Glassfisher joined us on the stream and when the day was done, provided us with superior malt beverages! We wussed out and stopped fishing with 30 minutes of daylight left..

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

5xTippett

How did the super green nightcrawlers work?  That one in the advertisement had some pretty snazzy eyes.

CR

Good Stuff there.

Love me some fall fishing with a few drinks mixed in...

"I Feel God In This Chili's Tonight"

Trout Maharishi

To the three amigos, you all suck! ;D Woowee you should have gone inside and played one of the poker machines, they do a brisk business. I  see I have been followed again to a hot spot, either that or those damn midgets went back and trashed the place. They have a  history of that type of thing. Look at how much trouble they had with the midgets when they were filiming the Wizard of Oz ;D You need to get that poor ol dog a neoprene jacket :angel:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

trouthead

Bows & Bourbon... nice. Why didn't you try some of those green nightcrawlers?

The Dude

WB, I have noticed you having a fair amount of luck with jujubees up there, and while I have been able to get into plenty of action with other patterns, I have never been successful with one.  If you don't mind my asking, do you dead drift it in the surface film?  Slowly strip it against the current?  Get it down to just above the bottom with some weight or larger attractor pattern?  I have tried those techniques with no success yet.  Maybe I should just forget about jujubees and stick with what I've found to work for me, but the scientist in me wants to know if I am doing something wrong, or if it is just a coincidence.

One more thing, even though your dog doesn't bother you when you are fishing, I see you've taught her to go down to holes where other anglers are fishing if she needs to hop in and get a drink.  Fortunately, it was at the hatchery, so she actually still had better manners than most fishermen, and the fish are pretty much spook proof anyway, so it doesn't even matter.  Further on this subject, I have actually found that when anglers just upstream of me are moving around quite a bit, it stirs up the bottom enough that the trout downstream quickly pick up on it and feed quite a bit.  I have had more hook-ups and seen more fish feeding when someone gets snagged on the opposite bank and wades over to free themselves than when I am the only person around.  So, I encourage folks ahead of me to hop in and thrash around.  It's not like there aren't enough fish in there for everybody to catch a few anyway.

p.s. - I was up there yesterday and saw more than a few large fluorescent styrofoam bobbers and even a mepps spinner hung up in the trees on the opposite bank.  Nice. >:D

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

River Man

Midgets????  Had to be either 5xtippet (Nub), Croaker or Mstash.

Woolly Bugger

most of the fish that I caught on the jujubee were down deep bouncing along the bottom with a BB shot about eight inches above a red midge, then another eight to ten inches to the jujubee. For the most part I was using 5x fluoro.

Not sure if you were saying that my dog was bothering others while there. I did put her in the car for most of the time that I was up at the hatchery.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Note to TP: get your ass in gear and post my pig bow!
me -There's a season?

5xTippett

Woolly, those are some pretty fish!  Riverman, TM only carries female midgets on his fishing trips from what I understand.

The Dude

It was actually a couple of weeks ago when you were there and your dog came down and had a nice drink.  She certainly didn't bother me.  She just walked down the steps, eased into the water, and lapped it up for a couple of minutes before crawling out and heading back upstream.

No worries at all.  Besides, like anybody else, when you go to the hatchery, you are not going there for the solitude.

Thanks for the advice on the jujubee.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

troutphisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 23, 2009, 16:10:34 PM

No one tells me what to do, asshat.............

Keith's, big rainbow.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutphisher on November 23, 2009, 17:15:21 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 23, 2009, 16:10:34 PM

No one tells me what to do, asshat.............

Keith's, big rainbow.

fucker!
me -There's a season?

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

Guess those super green night crawlers do work >:D ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski