News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

carp on top 5/26

Started by lepomis_mcro, May 26, 2008, 14:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepomis_mcro

fished lookout today with the hopes of hooking some hard fighting carp.

water temp 68-73
clarity 3 to 7 feet

had the pleasure of catching carp on top water a week ago but i forgot the camera. 

not this time.

i headed out with my fishing partner steve, who a week ago hooked into a monster of a carp only to have the fish snap his 2x like it was 7x tippet.
we left the dock at 9am ran up the lake to a cove that had been holding a nice pod the last few trips out.

the wind had changed direction and the scum line that had been holding what the carp were feeding on was nowhere to be seen. no food no carp.

fished the area for gills on top with poppers produced a couple bass, and some nice gills. but we were looking for more of a fight.

after burning a little gas we found what we were looking for. carp that were clooping. they were hanging in less than two feet of water scooping of the top what ever they could find. steve handled the trolling motor with skill and we drifted in un-noticed  . i made as soft a cast as i could and the fly ploped down on the water right infront of a hungry little guy.

one of the hardest thing i have found is not to set the fly to fast. i have pulled a few right out before they had their mouth closed.

i stuck this guy right in the corner of his mouth and the fight was on. after a few very nice runs, and my hands shaking. i worked the guy close enough to get the grips on him. he weighed in at 10lb
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Woolly Bugger

hey, nice report!

you suck!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Wow, nice way to catch a carp!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

calebB

Michael Toris

What fly was this fish caught on? Im trying to get into dry fly carping but havent had any luck. Ive caught them on nymphs but only with moderate success. I need some help!!!!

lepomis_mcro

Quote from: wildmttrout on May 27, 2008, 22:45:30 PM
What fly was this fish caught on? Im trying to get into dry fly carping but havent had any luck. Ive caught them on nymphs but only with moderate success. I need some help!!!!

i have caught them on top with all white, and also all green poppers size #8 and #10. if you find them grouping up and skimming the surface for food. you just have to cast right in front of their path. but be careful they spook very easy, and will haul ass out to deep water.
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Michael Toris

What about on streamers? Ive heard many people catching them on streamers, but i havent had any luck. Any Tips? ???