News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Al's Book!

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 19, 2020, 10:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

The book I wrote, "My War – Vietnam 1968~69 / 1971~73" has been out for 10 days.

I wasn't a hero but I served with many who were. Some of the book's 23 chapters are interconnected but all can stand alone. I just wrote about some of the things I saw and did. I hope my words painted a picture that allows the reader to see the Vietnam War through my eyes.

To all who have ordered it, THANK YOU. I really appreciate your support. Some have received the book already and hopefully are now reading it. Like I said in the introduction, every Vietnam War Vet could and should write their story. Each of our stories would differ depending on where we were and during what time frame. If we don't tell our stories soon they will all be lost.

When I started writing my little stories I had no idea that they would evolve into a 218 page book that would immediately jump to the top of Amazons best seller list for new releases within its military memoirs category. Its dropped off some but sales are still doing very well.

I won't be the world's next James Michener, John Steinbeck or John Jakes but I might sell a few more copies if you went back to the Amazon link where you made your order and wrote a review – hopefully it will be positive but if not that is OK to. What I hope you can say is that my stories allowed you to ride along in my rucksack as we trudged the rice paddies and jungles of Vietnam together.

MY WAR VIETNAM 1968~1969 1971~1973: Short stories about what I did and what I saw while serving with Special Forces

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088SG8S6D?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Al

Received this photo today in my feed from the daughter of my 7th grade teacher who is still alive and living in the place I call my hometown - Check out what Mrs C. is reading..............

You cannot view this attachment.

I don't see a red pen where she is checking off spelling and grammar errors but that might come later.

jwgnc

I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.  And I sure learned a lot!  Thanks again Al.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Al

I'm posting this here because many folks think the Vietnam War and by extension the Cambodian War were wars that we should not have been involved in and the people were better off once we left. Read on ....................

Yesterday I received a telephone call from one of my recent Facebook friends. We became FB friends when he saw some of my photos and read stories in my recently published book https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088SG8S6D . Among other things in the book, I told about my time toward the end of the Vietnam War training soldiers from the Cambodian Army. Turns out he was one of our Cambodian Interpreters.

Once we became FB friends I corresponded with him a few times asking what happened to him once the Cambodian training program was phased out. I know he has some stories to tell. I know a lot of folks would like to know what happened to the people once we abandoned them. I have encouraged him to write his stories down and have offered to help is he wants to publish them. We will see – I hope he takes me up on it.

He said he went back to Cambodian as Lieutenant in the Cambodian Army fighting the Khmer Rue. Because he was fluent in English he was a valued as a contact with US air support. This went well until the US Congress pulled funding for support to Cambodia. As luck would have it (good luck for him) he was wounded about that time. While in the hospital he was able to make contact with someone from the US Embassy who utilized him until the entire country fell to the Pol Pot regime. Once again, through his contacts he was able to go to Thailand and eventually immigrated to the United States in 1981.

One thing I asked him in our telephone call yesterday was "What happened to all the soldiers we trained under the FANK training program". He said that anyone who had previously been a soldier in the Cambodian Army was rounded up and executed. Only a few escaped. I had suspected as much but he confirmed my suspicions yesterday. I don't know about you but that makes me even more sad about the way we abandoned our allies in that ill fated war.

Al

I'm proud and excited to report that my book  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088SG8S6D  has been picked up as a series in the New Hampshire Legionnaire the official publication of the American Legion Department of New Hampshire. (I'm from NH and keep my legion membership with my hometown) It will take awhile at one chapter at a time, but all 22 chapters will eventually be published.

Al

If reviews sell books I should sell a few more today - I think I know who wrote it. Talked with someone about 2 weeks ago and he pulled it up on his cellphone and placed an order....

Reviewed in the United States on March 16, 2021
Verified Purchase
"This book is full of amazing stories told by the Green Beret who lived it. A great peek inside the experiences of those who served in Vietnam and I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a better understanding of it. I've had the honor of speaking with the author and learning even more about his two tours as well as his career after the war. I hope there will be more vets willing to share their stories like he did."

MY WAR VIETNAM 1968~1969 1971~1973: Short stories about what I did and what I saw while serving with Special Forces
AMAZON.COM