Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Sedition and Pockets

The Silent Sam extortion scam that UNC fell for and abetted was and is an absolute disgrace.  Tear it down and scrap it.  There is no value in preserving the legacy of racist intimidation in the public square.

Woolly Bugger

QuoteThe UNC System and its Board of Governors asked an Orange County judge Monday to help them get the Silent Sam Confederate statue back and then advise them what to do with it.

Superior Court Judge Allen Baddour dismissed the lawsuit and voided the settlement between the UNC System and the North Carolina Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) that gave the SCV ownership of the statue and access to $2.5 million to preserve and display it.

Baddour, who had approved the deal in November, determined the SCV lacked the legal standing to sue in the first place, but didn't explain his reasoning. At a hearing earlier this month, he asked if the UNC System wanted direction about the fate of the monument in his written order dismissing the case.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article240394551.html#storylink=cpy

Now where will the statue end up? Back on Campus? Be careful what you ask for!  <-;:
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Civil War Battle Rages On!

https://www.thecollegefix.com/unc-chancellor-vows-that-confederate-statue-will-not-return-to-school/

QuoteThat settlement was voided earlier this month, with the presiding judge determining that the Confederate group never actually had any ownership claims to the statue and thus could not legally sue for it. Control of the statue then apparently returned to the university. But last week, Guskiewicz assured faculty that he would work to prevent the memorial to campus, The Daily Tar Heel reports:

Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz said he will do whatever possible to ensure that Silent Sam does not return to UNC's campus at a Faculty Council meeting on Friday.

"It doesn't belong on our campus," he said. "And I will continue to work with our Board of Trustees, our system office and Board of Governors on this."

The Raleigh News and Observer reported yesterday that the school, through its attorney, has asked the presiding judge to issue a clarifying order stipulating that the statue, as well as the full amount of the trust, be returned to university control, and that the school be given "ultimate disposition" over the statue.

The Confederate group, meanwhile, is working on "getting the statue back to the university," the group's lawyer said.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Monument Ave. may need to be renamed before we are done. J.E.B Stuart, Jeff Davis, Stonewall Jackson, Matthew Fontaine Maury are next in line. Arthur Ashe, added in '96, will obviously survive.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dougfish on June 03, 2020, 19:39:10 PMMonument Ave. may need to be renamed before we are done. J.E.B Stuart, Jeff Davis, Stonewall Jackson, Matthew Fontaine Maury are next in line. Arthur Ashe, added in '96, will obviously survive.

No need to rename, just replace with statues of Lincoln, Grant, Newt Knight, Thaddeus Stevens, Harriet Tubman, etc. 

As a co-op student at VT back in the late 70s and early 80s I lived at the corner of Monument and Blvd. in a boarding house with a handful of other Hokies.  Hell fire, I never noticed the monuments, but I was mostly intoxicated, stoned, and/or chasing tail.  Take a pup from the Virginia mountains, put him in the Richmond fan, and you get blissful bedlam!   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 04, 2020, 09:50:06 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on June 03, 2020, 19:39:10 PMMonument Ave. may need to be renamed before we are done. J.E.B Stuart, Jeff Davis, Stonewall Jackson, Matthew Fontaine Maury are next in line. Arthur Ashe, added in '96, will obviously survive.

No need to rename, just replace with statues of Lincoln, Grant, Newt Knight, Thaddeus Stevens, Harriet Tubman, etc. 

As a co-op student at VT back in the late 70s and early 80s I lived at the corner of Monument and Blvd. in a boarding house with a handful of other Hokies.  Hell fire, I never noticed the monuments, but I was mostly intoxicated, stoned, and/or chasing tail.  Take a pup from the Virginia mountains, put him in the Richmond fan, and you get blissful bedlam!   

Then put that old dog back into the mountains of Virginia and he takes up golf.  Oh the irony of life.

Al

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Sedition and Pockets

That plinth would look good with a statue of Harry Haywood atop it.

Sedition and Pockets

Reel it in Kenny, and try a new spot.  This hole is burnt.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Where are some of the posts from yesterday (8 June 2020)?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Al

I appears there is traction to rename our military bases - Secy of Army is on board and now we have the retired generals giving him cover

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/06/take-confederate-names-off-our-army-bases/612832/