News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bushwacking TR

Started by OldDominionAngler, March 06, 2012, 01:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDominionAngler

It's a gusty 29 degrees outside right now but signs of spring are here...daffodils are up, spring training baseball is on TV, we gain an extra hour of light next weekend, and brookies are eating dries.  Maybe the winter never really came, but it still feels good that it's nearly gone.

The morning started off gray and chilly.

And we climbed up the hill...

And parked and walked down the hill to fish a trail-less section we'd never seen before.   

We chose a rough path down to the water (because I can't read a map), but the bushwacking worked out okay. Perfect water levels after the rain.

The fish were suspended a foot below the surface.

Lots of deadfall.

And a healthy number of fish.

The tungsten and yarn came out in the deep pools.

And we had to creative with our route.

The dog didn't complain.

We scrambled up, worrying about making it out with daylight, and there were still fish in every pool.

Exhausted, but happy to make in time.

And it's kind of nice to walk around at work on a Monday with bruised shins, scraped fingers, and another creek crossed off the list.

Dougfish

Hard fishin', sweet rewards!  -0-

benben reincarnated

Damn, those streams have some killer gradient.  Good lookin' chit.  Nice work on the pics too!

bd;0

Big J

Looks like you had a good day.  How does the dog do making the climb up the steep rocks?  Ever have to carry the dog?

Transylwader

Hell yes Chris!
I thought of using a stimi, but was too focussed on dredging for the big dogs with big nasty stoneflies (the creek we fished was comprised of deep holes, hardly any riffle or pocket water. I used a dry for a bit and had zero takers in the tail outs. But then again, I didn't get to fish Sunday, so who knows what their buzz was. Nice to see the hound in tow. 'c;

AL trout bum

Awesome report! Looks like you guys all use the same pink weenie fly. Did Petey tie up those? They look a tad different than normal pink weenies. I might need to try some of those out at GSMNP
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

OldDominionAngler

Thanks guys.

Quote from: Big J on March 06, 2012, 08:25:44 AM
How does the dog do making the climb up the steep rocks?  Ever have to carry the dog?

He's got the hang of it up there, usually finds an alternate route to going straight up bigger rocks.  I never have to carry him, but sometimes I have to dodge his farts when we're climbing up a steep incline and he's in front of me. 

Quote from: Transylwader on March 06, 2012, 10:54:44 AM
Hell yes Chris!
I thought of using a stimi, but was too focussed on dredging for the big dogs with big nasty stoneflies (the creek we fished was comprised of deep holes, hardly any riffle or pocket water. I used a dry for a bit and had zero takers in the tail outs. But then again, I didn't get to fish Sunday, so who knows what their buzz was. Nice to see the hound in tow. 'c;

Thanks Mike, it's crazy how different some of these creeks can fish on the same day.  I'd like to see this stretch later in the year. It has a decent number of deeper holes, but my guess is that much of the riffle/pocked water I fished on Saturday is too shallow to fish other times of the year..I think the shot of water we just received spread the fish out and got them looking up.  But, who knows..that's why it's fun.

Quote from: AL trout bum on March 06, 2012, 14:07:07 PM
They look a tad different than normal pink weenies.

What are you trying to say, dude?  :embarassed:

There's no denying it, the weenie is a slayer.  That chenille is darker and more fluoroscent color than the stuff I've seen in stores, I picked it up at a show.  Whatever the shade of pink you use, just make sure you cast it on green fly line and it'll catch fish.   ;D

FoulHook

Damn those are some color poppin pics. What camera do you use? And what team are you watching, Baltimore? My boys haven't been on tv yet.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

The Dude

Bushwacking trips always end up being the best ones.  Excellent report, as I've come to expect from you.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

smokin hog

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

robspe7370

Great report Chris. I have got a fever, and the only prescription is a trip to SNP. 'c;
I ain't here for a long time. I'm here for a good time.

Aka

Nice TR. Good work on the brookies on the dry too.
That Gillian Welch is something, good choice.

MFTG

um...

hell yes.  take it from one of the karma kings, that's dope.  that water looks familiar...and damn nice considering how perfect the flows are - til tonight.