Want to buy a VISE

Started by fishhunterphil, December 28, 2009, 21:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhunterphil

Well, it's almost 2010 and I need to start tying my own flies!  I have just put the first full year of fly fishing under my belt and it is high time I start doing a little creative work on my fly arsenal.

Anyone have a vise they would like to sell/trade or could suggest as a good starter?  I would like to buy one from someone on here rather than from store, etc.

What is the best way to get a hold of materials?  Online? Local arts/crafts places? Mixture?

I know this is the first step into an even darker and more mysterious addiction, and I can't wait!

0--0

Al

Probably the best thing you can do before spending $$$ on the wrong things is attend the Lying & Tying event at the end of January - (See thread about it elsewhere on this board). Chance to see lots of different vises, tools and materials - plus some pretty good tyers, most of whom love to share a few secrets.

Woolly Bugger

plus you can pick up a bunch of 'samples' off the floor....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mstash

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 28, 2009, 22:23:51 PM

Material will cleaner than road kill

L&T is the best way to learn. Some of the best feather benders will be there.
Glad your getting started tying your own. You'll be amazed at the $$$$ you'll be saving

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mstash on December 29, 2009, 06:28:25 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 28, 2009, 22:23:51 PM

You'll be amazed at the $$$$ you'll be saving

::) 8@S
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

fishhunterphil

That sounds like a nice event.  Might be able to make it sat. night and sunday since my brother lives right near there!

mattnmtns

//?
Actually you can, at least in theory.  After about 10 years I think I am finally about to break even.  Good thing because I am about to take up rod building/assembling to save even more money.

phg

Quote from: mattnmtns on January 06, 2010, 18:48:59 PM

//?
Actually you can, at least in theory.  After about 10 years I think I am finally about to break even.  Good thing because I am about to take up rod building/assembling to save even more money.
Wait until you get bit by the bamboo bug.  >:D

Gofisher

Holy shit Phg, where'd ya get all the beer?  ???
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

jwgnc

Take the course.  Watch what the tyers use.  Then go to another seminar of some kind on fly tying.  And another

A vise, a bobbin, and a whip finisher.  Head cement - and a bunch of pheasant tails.  Watch some videos. 

The smaller the better.  When you can tie a fly so small that you can't get the sob on the tippet - you've won.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.