Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I am going to start a thread to give folks a heads up on what the planned releases are from the COE Philpott Dam (Smith River). This is a plan only and is subject to change without notice. - I will try to keep it updated as I receive emails from the water manager @ USACE - Wilmington District. 

"We are decreasing releases from Philpott this morning to ~680 cfs (1.5 ft single sluice gate setting)"

"Philpott Sluice Gate decreased to 1.5 FEET (650 CFS) at 0745 OT       May 8, 2017"

Al

Philpott Update 5-11-17

(Lake elevation) "Currently 974.2 ft and falling"

"We plan on reducing releases this afternoon to ~400 cfs, to hold through the weekend"

"With the current rainfall forecast and anticipated inflows, expect lake to rise slightly. For reference, forecast rain is less than last weekend, however if we receive the same inflows as last weekend, we can keep the peak (lake elevation) near 977 ft"

Al

Update 5-16-17

"We will be reducing our releases to ~370 cfs this morning (0.75 ft sluice gate setting + low flow valve)."

"Philpott sluice has be seen been set to .75' at 0911 OT, Low Flow Valve is maintained in the open position"

Woolly Bugger

Fishable at last :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Update 5-25-17   Go elsewhere for the near future

"Philpott: At elevation 976.9 ft and rising. Inflows expected to peak mid-day today.

Increasing releases this morning to 1500 cfs; potentially more by the end of the day to reduce in-lake impacts for the weekend.

Expect to return to ~680 cfs or less next week"

Al

The latest - 2:29 today 5-25-17

"We will be increasing releases just a little more this afternoon from Philpott.

Currently releasing 1500 cfs. Going to 1750 cfs (4 ft sluice with low flow valve). This may seem like splitting hairs, but I'm trying to find a release that keeps lake level impacts down and can be maintained from today through the long weekend with some light rain scattered throughout the next few days.

I know this is bad timing for this rain, but I hope folks can still find some time on the River this weekend in spite of it."

Al

The latest 5-30-17 (Might be able to fish later today and through the weekend if we don't get more rain)

"Philpott:  At elevation 973.9 ft and falling after peaking nr 977 ft.

Decreasing releases today to nr 380 cfs, plan to hold through the week and weekend.

Reducing sluice releases from 1750 cfs: By 11am today -  to 900 cfs (2 ft sluice setting)

2 hrs later - to 380 cfs (0.75 ft sluice setting)"

Woolly Bugger

I wish they would just run it for another couple of days and 1800 and then drop it down to 190

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

I wish they would just run it for another couple of days and 1800 and then drop it down to 190

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 30, 2017, 10:35:45 AM

Not going to happen. Big concern now is having enough flow to keep the water temps from spiking into "fish kill" territory. A constant 190 cfs is probably not enough in the lower river.

streamereater_101691

Thanks Al. I was able to get out on the river today because of your thread. That 400cfs range that we saw basically all last summer seems to be a good number for the fish and wading in some areas. It's given the fish a break in the normal "honey holes" people fish all the time at 75cfs.

Al

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on May 30, 2017, 20:46:27 PM
Thanks Al. I was able to get out on the river today because of your thread. That 400cfs range that we saw basically all last summer seems to be a good number for the fish and wading in some areas. It's given the fish a break in the normal "honey holes" people fish all the time at 75cfs.

I think when it is all over and we get some good samples taken we will find the fish did real well. The big problem all along has been the constant up and down of flows and extremes in temperatures associated with generation. Of course that is the nature of tailwaters. 

Al

Doug posted this elsewhere but in order to keep this thread up to date I am doing a cut and paste of the latest from the recently selected/appointed  Philpott Operations Manager Chris Powell

"Please share with all fisherman.  Philpott releases are planned to decrease later today to around 140-150 cfs.  Time to fish!
Also, the generation # 276-626-2432 should reflect current cfs releases from now on until powerhouse is back up and running"

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on June 13, 2017, 11:19:30 AM
Doug posted this elsewhere but in order to keep this thread up to date I am doing a cut and paste of the latest from the recently selected/appointed  Philpott Operations Manager Chris Powell

"Please share with all fisherman.  Philpott releases are planned to decrease later today to around 140-150 cfs.  Time to fish!
Also, the generation # 276-626-2432 should reflect current cfs releases from now on until powerhouse is back up and running"

like washing the car; more rain on the way???
me -There's a season?