News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Afternoon Explorin

Started by Onslow, February 18, 2018, 20:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Since no one is posting...

There is a stream in Wilkes County I've been map caressing for quite some time, but had not worked up the nerve towards some real penetration.  Wilkes county does have some sketchy spots, scant public land, and people that may well be inclined to shoot your ass if under the influence. 

My boy and I have been traipsing about being he has a permit, and needs the driving hours.  It just so happens I recently scouted this stream on one of our jaunts, and this particular hood isn't terribly sketchy, and is isolated enough so misdeeds to go unnoticed.

This stream is in the Lewis Fork watershed.  Altitude is about 1500' where I started fishing. The drainage size is around 7-8 square miles.  I was sorta expecting browns down low, and perhaps some bows, and brookies up high.  Unfortunately, a trib that comes in lower has bows, but did not see any today.

A good greeting,

The stream bed alternated between some skinnier water, and cataracts.

After 1.5 hours of fishing with no love.....1550' bitches.

This pool....hooked a nice brookie around the 10" or better, but my garden hose fly managed to loop kink.  Dragged the fish up to the sand, and the bugger came unglued. 

After sticking brookie #3, I was almost convinced this stream was a solid brookie stream, but this happened.

After 2 hours, it was time to get out.

A trail at the left gives way due to mother nature's handiwork.

Natural racking and stacking

Almost back

I did see some signs of encroachment along the way.  I didn't make it up to the McMansions that were recently built in the gorge, but I did see this.

I fear this gorge will be developed, and destroyed in the near future.  If anyone wants to fish this, I can give the deets.  Just keep in mind this is all private land, and the upper end of the gorge is posted.  I suspect the upper portion of the gorge is prime brookie water.

I only fish a couple hours, and covered .7 mile at best.  The gorge is at 3 miles.  One can return to their car by road hiking 3.7 miles.

Dee-Vo

Interesting......good work, dude.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Leg stretching. Yessss.  'c;  -0-
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

itieuglyflies

Keep exploring and taking us along with your reportage.

Big J

Yallerhammer

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Phil

All right Onslow!  'c;
Don't give us that line about being too old to wade anymore, OK? Looks like you're doing just fine to me.

NCsporksman

Nice....tiger trout eats good, I hear

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

good to see somebody postin up TRs!  0:0
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

I wish I could fish more!  Too much time is being spent with job related work, and times spent working on the behalf of the local BSA Troop & church has doubled.