Unlimited Spey (I can't cast) page

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 06, 2020, 08:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I bought an Echo 2 Wt Trout Spey Rod with Scandi (for soft hackels) and Skagit (for wets and small streamers)  heads. I was planning on using it on the Smith / South Holston for trouts and the New for Smalles. What I've learned about Spey rods.

1. Double the rod wt for the size fish you are targeting... i.e. 2 wt spey for up to 4 lb fish..
2. Add 3 to the rod weight for a single handle equivalent i.e. 2 wt spey = 5 wt single hangle

So that's why I went with the lightest rod.

I've been watching Rio's how-to series to try and get the basics for casting on either side of the river ... the two casts that I'm working on are the Double Spey and Snap-T.

I've gone out several times to give it a try. Since the river is pushing 600+ cfs, I rigged the rod with the Skagit and a 10 ft sinking tip with three feet of tippet and one of the mini intruders that I tied.

so far i pretty much suk at casting... sure I go through the steps and get the line out, but haven't been able to get any distance beyond the line. It's frustrating... Maybe it's that the 11 ft. 2wt rod isn't the best to learn on. Or maybe you can't teach an old dog new tricks...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ryguy

I have one as well, mine casts a 250-300 grain line.  I've been practicing but I still suck at it.  So far I've had a good time trying to learn, and I'm going to try and get good enough to use it in Maine this fall.  Those guys make it look easy.

streamereater_101691

Are you using the commando head or a integrated line? I would back off the sinking tip and start with a floating leader with soft hackles first. Then move to a short sinking head(5ft) until you gain control. The long sinking tip makes the anchor difficult at times because if you are too slow or hesitate, the anchor will sink too much and you wont have enough power to lift the tip.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on July 06, 2020, 09:30:29 AMAre you using the commando head or a integrated line? I would back off the sinking tip and start with a floating leader with soft hackles first. Then move to a short sinking head(5ft) until you gain control. The long sinking tip makes the anchor difficult at times because if you are too slow or hesitate, the anchor will sink too much and you wont have enough power to lift the tip.

I'm able to get the line out, casting all of the Skagit and 10'of heavy tip,and turning over the fly, working on anchors and really trying to shoot line... I also am interested in hooking a fish... if there were fish rising in that fast water I would have gone with the scandi and soft hackeles...

but next time I'll switch around to the soft hackles withe a versaleader...

I actually had a fish bust on the fly on a bad cast and I had one bump yesterday...

I actually enjoy the swinging part...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

I've been looking at a video that I shot of my snap-t and I can see a lot of problems...

1. need to slow it down....
2. need to get the sweep to end higher
3. need to slow down....

snap-t cast at full speed then same at half speed...

me -There's a season?

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 06, 2020, 10:11:00 AM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on July 06, 2020, 09:30:29 AMAre you using the commando head or a integrated line? I would back off the sinking tip and start with a floating leader with soft hackles first. Then move to a short sinking head(5ft) until you gain control. The long sinking tip makes the anchor difficult at times because if you are too slow or hesitate, the anchor will sink too much and you wont have enough power to lift the tip.

I'm able to get the line out, casting all of the Skagit and 10'of heavy tip,and turning over the fly, working on anchors and really trying to shoot line... I also am interested in hooking a fish... if there were fish rising in that fast water I would have gone with the scandi and soft hackeles...

but next time I'll switch around to the soft hackles withe a versaleader...

I actually had a fish bust on the fly on a bad cast and I had one bump yesterday...

I actually enjoy the swinging part...

The skagit is going to be the easiest to learn on until your motions get more fluid. A little more splash, but for now don't worry about it. By the video, your rod tip almost hits the water on the snap(bad). Also, I would do a back hand double spey in that situation(casting upstream). Now if you were casting down and across, I would use the snap t. Remember, your anchor loads/unloads easiest in the direction your anchor line is pointed.

troutrus

Never tried it, but it looks like a good way to ensure social distancing.

Good luck with it.

Woolly Bugger

Back at it after reviewing my casting video -- there are many more cast that I didn't post.  p;-

With the Philpott release down to 301 I ventured into town at the Historical Center which is closed until July 20. I made a change to my set-up because of the reduced flow, I switched out the 10' heavy tip for a 7.5 4ips versaleader and continued to through an unweighted micro intruder fly. I worked the section from the Top of there property on down to the bridge. Nothing, no runs, no hits, no errors.

It was getting hot so I took a water break and then headed on down to the Great Road Access. I hit that run and after a few cast, I got a nice grab. A few cast later and I hooked a fish on the swing. A frying pan-sized stocker rainbow, still it was nice to ger the skunk off the rod. I few swings later and I hooked another rainbow this one was a bit bigger but still way out muscled by the 11 ft trout spey rod. In total, I had about 5 or 6 grabs and two fish to hand.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

my first spey rod fish...  V:;  V:;

I tried down at frith but the water was warm and pushy ...
me -There's a season?

itieuglyflies

troutrus

Woolly Bugger

Here are some of the flies that I've tied up and an intro article about trout spey...

Spey Tackle and Techniques for Montana Trout

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

#23 - 16

After attending the intro to Spey at the Greensboro Orvis store, I've been reevaluating my setup.

The Echo TR2 outfit came with an Airflo Rage Scandi and Scout Skadgit head. All along I was thinking of swinging soft hackles on the scandi line so that's what I put on the reel to begin with. But with the lack of bugs I started thinkin about streamers, so I tied up some indruders and small clousers and gave them a go, not realizing that I should have changed heads.

So I went back to the river, switched out the head, added a sink tip and leader, and tied on a clouser. I went to a run where I double spey cast and fished it well, the cast was working fine, but I had to keep in mind that the skagit head was much shorter than the scandi. After working that run and catching nothing I moved to another spot where I would be casting Snap T style. I did ok on some cast but ended up blowing the anchor many times with the shorter head. -- It's like learning all over again. I did get three or four grabs but I set teh hook, a big no no while swingina flies....

The river was up 30 cfs and a bit cloudy and the skies were blue.

me -There's a season?