News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Saint Simons Island

Started by Jfey, January 29, 2018, 17:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfey

I'll be there toward the end of March for Spring Break.   Wife, kids and Inlaws will be in tow; but they are usually pretty cool with me getting in some fishing time.   

Anyone have any insight?   I'm considering a guide, but would prefer DIY so I don't have to drop the $$.   Will probably bring my kayak.   I've researched online, but any direct knowledge is always helpful.  Thanks in advance d:b d:b d:b d:b d:b
Yup, going fishing

driver

Quote from: Jfey on January 29, 2018, 17:39:01 PM
I'll be there toward the end of March for Spring Break.   Wife, kids and Inlaws will be in tow; but they are usually pretty cool with me getting in some fishing time.   

Anyone have any insight?   I'm considering a guide, but would prefer DIY so I don't have to drop the $$.   Will probably bring my kayak.   I've researched online, but any direct knowledge is always helpful.  Thanks in advance d:b d:b d:b d:b d:b
I had to google this to find out where it is. So.. not gonna be much help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jfey

Quote from: driver on January 29, 2018, 17:50:25 PM

I had to google this to find out where it is. So.. not gonna be much help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Spoiler.   Its on the Georgia coast.  Never been there.   Per Google there are good numbers of triple tail which could be interesting.   Might be a little early for them tho.   If nothing else, I'll chuck clousers at the normal looking spots.
Yup, going fishing

Mstash

Dave Edens at Fly Cast Charters

Big J

I went on a middle school field trip there. Hope that helps you out.

Onslow

Ask about the water quality form multiple sources before you go.  I went to Jekyll a couple years ago, and the water quality was horrible.  I'm talking manure lagoon horrible.  I asked the hotel employees about the water, and was informed it had been that way for years, and no one swims in the water.

The Dude

Southern Soul Barbecue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Jfey

Southern Soul is on the agenda.  Hopefully multiple times.

J, is there a good museum you can recommend?

Dave is who I would call if I go the guide route.

I'll try to avoid the manure lagoons.   Water will be too cold to swim anyway.

Thanks!
Yup, going fishing

The Dude

I don't know a whole lot about the area, but several years ago I fished in a kayak tournament there with a friend who had some local intel (may-ish timeframe).

We put in at the boat launch on Harrington (I think) and fished the Village Creek drainage.  We went up one small creek and found a nice little hole using live shrimp on the rising tide.  But paddling in on low tide was barely doable in a kayak.  N31.20083 W81.33578 & N31.20083 W81.33701

They have really big tide swings there (like 8') so it is good to go out on low tide and scout around and mark the large oyster bars to come back and fish during either side of the high tide.  Here are a few locations that are pretty obvious, with large oyster bars.  N31.20768 W81.34167 & N31.21031 & 81.34950

For fly fishing, the best advice I got was to use clousers around the oyster bars and let them sink to the bottom.  Slowly strip them and when they start to get hung on oysters, rip the shit out of it and that is when you get most of the strikes.  As for tailing reds in the mud, there is a fly pattern that they swear by down there that is a crab imitation.  I can't remember the exact name, but it was like toad fly or something like that.

Take it fwiw, we did not win any money in the tournament.  I wish I knew the place we went to pick up our live shrimp and crabs.  It was in the middle of nowhere down a dirt road and was open at like 5AM, but my mind has become mush over the years.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Big J

If you have time, go down to Cumberland Island.  Lots of good trails on Island, you'll see wild horses.  Can take a tour of Island.  Kids would like that.

Saint Simons Lighthouse Museum if your into that. 

Big J

Jfey

Quote from: The Dude on January 30, 2018, 08:18:35 AM
I don't know a whole lot about the area, but several years ago I fished in a kayak tournament there with a friend who had some local intel (may-ish timeframe).

We put in at the boat launch on Harrington (I think) and fished the Village Creek drainage.  We went up one small creek and found a nice little hole using live shrimp on the rising tide.  But paddling in on low tide was barely doable in a kayak.  N31.20083 W81.33578 & N31.20083 W81.33701

They have really big tide swings there (like 8') so it is good to go out on low tide and scout around and mark the large oyster bars to come back and fish during either side of the high tide.  Here are a few locations that are pretty obvious, with large oyster bars.  N31.20768 W81.34167 & N31.21031 & 81.34950

For fly fishing, the best advice I got was to use clousers around the oyster bars and let them sink to the bottom.  Slowly strip them and when they start to get hung on oysters, rip the shit out of it and that is when you get most of the strikes.  As for tailing reds in the mud, there is a fly pattern that they swear by down there that is a crab imitation.  I can't remember the exact name, but it was like toad fly or something like that.

Take it fwiw, we did not win any money in the tournament.  I wish I knew the place we went to pick up our live shrimp and crabs.  It was in the middle of nowhere down a dirt road and was open at like 5AM, but my mind has become mush over the years.

Cool.  That is what I was thinking.   Head out in the creeks and look for oyster beds.   Thanks
Yup, going fishing

sanjuanwormhatch

Lived there for a summer and never once caught a fish on a fly rod.  That speaks to my putrid ability to cast from a kayak but also to the fact that it's pretty difficult to catch a red on a fly rod there.  If you really want to catch something I would rec getting a guide.  I know a inshore type guide (wife family member) that is good with kids and what not but probably won't be able to accommodate a fly rod for various reasons. 

Can give all kinds of recs for other stuff.  Ford Fredrica is cool and has not been mentioned. 

Pansyman

I have fished there a bunch as my MIL lived there for the last twenty years.  If you want to drown shrimp there are plenty of places to go hang out and do so by bridges and public park right by the causeway.
I very strongly recommend you contact David Edens at Fly Cast charters. He is an OLD PFF'r and knows that place very well.
Unless you're real familiar with the tide and the layout don't even think about trying a kayak. The tide swings are huge and you can find yourself in trouble in very short order.
Go to the villiage pier at night and watch the locals shark fishoff the pier. They catch huge like 8'-10' bull sharks tiger sharks right there and then drag them up on the beach where little chilrens be playing...... :banana026:
You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

Pansyman

The tour at Ft. Fredrica is very cool and I've bben there a few times. My college Archeology prof was the head archeaolgist there and is quoted throughout the place, but it wasn't until David took me up the river by boat that I realized the significance of the position where the fort was located between two hairpin turns in the river where any approaching ship couldn't bear their guns broadside as they negotiated the turn.
You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.