News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Working the seam

Started by troutfanatic, May 13, 2017, 16:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds
It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Another semester comes to a close. Prior to last week, I spent less than 10 days on the water. Now I am up to 13  :o
I somehow managed to pull a straight A semester out of my ass. This is something I had not done in my previous degree, and that shit was far easier.

A former BRFFF regular, Leedawg had a gig planned with camping, fishing and drinking. He shot me an invite and it conveniently corresponded with the end of the semester. I took no pics of our debauchery. twas' a small group. Rhody may or may not have been there as well. I fished my way from Fayetteville to the Campground with great concern over flows from recent sky-pissings.

No worries, the fish were found.

Lil Leroy showed up.

Brookies were the main attraction.

Pay attention to the mouth. In less than three days, I caught around 75 fish, mostly brookies, cookie cutters 5"-8" with an occasional outlier. Every damn fish I caught was on a yellow sally dry and there really wasn't any popping yet.

Microhabitat. what grows on a log? For the botany bunch.

In the time honored troutfanatic tradition, I'd get a winner with some size and take a shitty pic.

Day one was three streams and nine hours on the water. I didn't hit the campground until 9:30 and everyone had eaten and were now drinking. I put on some tunes, drank some beers and watched Ranger TV. Rhody and I bullshit about dead shows, Leedawg and I discussed the insanity of medical professions.

I got up the next morning at the ass crack of dawn and hauled ass on 58 to Bassett. No, I wasn't fishing per se. I was putting in work. School can't seem to escape me. I had an opportunity to go sample on the Smith, so I indulged (see Smith thread later).

On the way back to the campground, I hit a few waters along or just off 58. More fishes were found.

These invasive shits were not too active. I did not complain about that.

That night the storms were coming. Leedawg and Co. bust camp and rolled. I lived in my car and continued for another day.

Day three continued the journey this time rolling further southwest as the storm approached.

They were eating yellow bugs, but they weren't sallies. Saw lots of mayflies, not many stones. One creek had a hatch of these, but not abundant enough to cause psychotic feeding.

I figure you get the picture at this point.

I eat too much shit when I fish and do school stuff

Cheers  0:0

jwgnc

Straight A's in the classroom and outdoors.

Well done. 0:0
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

BrookieHunter

Looks like a hell of a good trip.  'c;

troutfanatic

Thanks Jay and BH. I think I was starting to hear voices. My last outing of any significance was in mid March for Spring Break. Didn't do any TRing, this shit takes time. We'll save those pics for the year in review and instagram.

Big J

Looks like you were well rewarded for your time in the books with both the grades and the fishing.

Dougfish

'c; Congrats.  0:0
Another A for the old Martin. But you have it on backwards.  ;D
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

troutfanatic

That Martin 67 was one of my first reels. It came in a combo that was bought for me in the late 70s. I broke the rod not long after. When I bought that butthurt stick, I was like damn, I need a new reel. Then I dug out my old stuff and found this. It's broke but it doesn't need to be perfect on a 3 weight.

Phil

Ditto what JT said. Damned good report.

troutfanatic

Thanks Phil and JT. Looking forward to hanging out next week.

croaker

Grand reportage and pictures!
Hated not being able to make Lee dawgs gig.
Lookin' forward to next week.
Rain gear and extra long tent stakes are ready.

8)
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Lithwan

A well deserved trip. Congrats on the straight A's. I came pretty damn close myself this semester, but statics proved more difficult than I thought it would be.

Al

sanjuanwormhatch

Good stuff and nice tunes.  Can't go wrong with Spring '77.