News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Boo Brew Brooks and hooters

Started by troutphisher, November 14, 2009, 20:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Keith and I fished today on one of my favorite brook streams in the high country. It had been about a week and half of no fishing for both of us, and the DT's were starting to set in, so we planned to fish this weekend. Keith made it to our meeting place earlier than planned, but only had a short wait for my arrival.

We transfered Keith's gear into my car and headed to wards the water. When we arrived upstream, at 8:30am it was already asses elbows on the water, so we scraped that plan and headed up stream far enough I thought that we would not see other fisherman, that didn't work either but we managed to fish anyways in relative peace. The water was flowing higher than anticipated and we managed only a few fish, so I suggested hitting the high country wild brook waters, and Keith was up for it, so we headed up the parkway.

We arrived at the trail head, and had to hike about 2 miles to the water. when we finally hit the water it too was running high and gin clear, but very fish-able.
We both set up with dry fly's, I used a size 18 cinnamon caddis and Keith tied on size 18 stimulator I gave him. It wasn't long before we were into fish, and some good size fish for wild waters. we fished down stream to use the water currents and conditions to our advantage,casting to the head of the runs and drifting the flays through the seams and pockets.

I hooked up with a nicely colored brook trout in full spawn colors, at the tail out of a run, and could see the fish rise to the fly and slowly sip it. That was interesting today, the larger fish rose slowly and inspected the fly's before committing to the take, we both noticed this during the days fishing.

We fished down stream about 3 miles, and had a blast catching fish fish in the tails outs seams, and pockets. Keith put on a red Humpy and nailed them in all pockets and seams, I stayed with the cinnamon caddis and had a blast.

Neither of us wore a watch, and we knew from the suns position in the clear sky, we needed to start heading back up stream, so we fish our way out a little before taking the trail back out. We got back to my car and enjoyed a cold wee heavy ale, some of Keith's home brew. It was a little stronger than I'd expected and put a slow creeping buz on me, reminiscent of a Marley blunt........

It was only 3:30 when we got back to the car, so we decided to headed down the mountain to another stream. When we arrived it was still pretty much asses and elbows, so we hiked a ways away from the crowd, and found a spot we could fish. Keith hooked into a nice rainbow and called for my help, when I moved down stream with net in hand, Keith was fighting a big rainbow that made several hard runs and dogged the bottom. I made two attempts to net the fish, but in the crystal clear water, it spooked every time I dipped the net.
Keith finally worked the fish into the slower water, and I scooped it into the net.

We fished until it was to dark to see the flays, then headed back to my car to finish off the beer, this time it was a Belgian wit for me, no more dummy biscuits.

It was a great day to be out on the water, and before the day started, while driving, I noticed an owl, on the side on the road sitting just off the edge, so I pulled over and stopped to try and move it into the woods, we both walked up to it and snapped a fews pics, then the owl opened its eyes, saw us and flew to a branch near by. It was pretty cool to get that close to it.

Here are some pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

Suckage! ;D Nice shot of the little Screech Owl, where is the hippie beer photos? 0--0  That's a pig Woowee, beautiful speck to ;hb
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Beetle

Nice work guys!  What a beautiful day to be out on the stream (or raking leaves....)

cmiller51h

YOU BOTH SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D Great looking feesh! Wish I was there. One of the NCOs here on post told me that the ponds and streams here on McCoy were stocked with rainbows and browns, and me with no rod!
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

possessed

Nice fish, very nice rainbow, but I love the brook.  That's my favorite area to fish.

Woolly Bugger

pretty much what Karl said...

long day up at 4:45  got to DRO at 7:40, Karl got there about a half hour later...

Maharishi Wilderness Area

roaring waters

Karl's big brookie

spotness

the dogs tracked down Karl

6 foot deep pool

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

Misleading subject content!  Ya'll suck 0--0

dnakamoto

Nice report.  Great looking Brookies.

twinbridges

Great brookies indeed.  Looks like your plan adaptation worked out just about right.  Always better than be rigid to a plan is to be flexible and just enjoy.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Flatlander on November 15, 2009, 08:32:05 AM
Misleading subject content!  Ya'll suck 0--0

yeah, your right there was only a single hooter, not plural

oh, and the 20" rainbow (note to T.M.: the fish says "Hello") took a #22 Jujubee with a 'secret' color pattern..... oh yeah, it was the dropper fly n 6x! Damn I love bamboo and CFO reels..... ;hb
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

glassfisher

Beautiful brookies guys, thanks for sharing the pics

BTW, you suck  :j
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

5xTippett

Woolly, did you see any wildlife in the wilderness area?  Maybe the owl was still in shock from witnessing the dance. >:D