Main Menu

National Park Fees

Started by Big J, October 25, 2017, 11:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Dougfish

Gotta pay for Zinke's flights.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

JMiller

It's a shame we cannot afford to properly fund something as universally-beloved as our National Parks.

Meanwhile, let's push through the biggest tax cut ever!!!!
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Grannyknot

but muh taxes pay for them parks
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Phil

Thank Trump.

"President Trump proposed cutting the National Park Service's budget by 12.9 percent this year, despite concerns from officials within the department and in Congress about the state of the Park Service's infrastructure.

Democrats came out swinging against the proposal on Tuesday.

"Secretary Zinke would rather take money directly out of the pockets of hardworking Americans instead of coming up with a serious budget proposal for the National Park System," said Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.), the ranking member of the House Natural Resources Committee.

"We should be encouraging more people to get outdoors and enjoy our great natural wonders instead of discouraging them by raising park entrance fees." "

From http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/356962-interior-proposes-raising-fees-at-popular-national-parks

Yallerhammer

Never been a fee for GSMNP, and not supposed to be, ever. That was part of the deal govco made with NC and TN.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

I have nothing against user fees for our National parks.  $75 is a wee bit steep especially considering one can get into Biltmore for less.

Can't trust this administration being the Donald seems to be hell bent on destroying everything any civil society would value. 

Grannyknot

Quote from: Yallerhammer on October 25, 2017, 14:49:22 PM
Never been a fee for GSMNP, and not supposed to be, ever. That was part of the deal govco made with NC and TN.

& because of that, the TN side is getting completely ruined.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Onslow

Quote from: Grannyknot on October 25, 2017, 15:14:54 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on October 25, 2017, 14:49:22 PM

& because of that, the TN side is getting completely ruined.

If it makes you feel any better, I've only been to the GSMNP twice in my life, and have never been to the Tennessee side. 

Dee-Vo

I don't necessarily love the idea of fees or increasing fees for park usage. I've been in that park only a handful of times (both sides). However, I have zero problems supporting and/or contributing and/or ponying up for the enjoyment of such.

sanjuanwormhatch

does it go back into NPS or at least DOI?

Native Fisher

Too much of their budget is going toward enforcement personnel and vehicles.  They need to scale that back.  They do training meetings at a location next to my work for the SNP and there must be 40-50 vehicles there each time with usually only the driver in each.  These people are not interpretive or cultural park rangers.

sanjuanwormhatch

I bet they're tactical as fudge.

Beetle

Why shouldn't park visitors pay more?     They're the ones using and abusing the parks.   

These are destinations and there's zero price elasticity here.   People aren't going to cancel their trip over $30.    Big deal

Dougfish

Buy a yearly national pass for $80. Pays for itself in 2 uses.
You're welcome.
And fuck you Zinkster!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006