Yes, and it's worth the trip
1 (14.3%)
Yes and meh...
2 (28.6%)
No but am interested
1 (14.3%)
No and not interested
3 (42.9%)
One time at band camp i smelled like Mossy Creek...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

Not worth it. Why would you travel over 3 hours to catch stocked trout in a cow poop stream.

Big J

Cowboy has stories about going down there and throwing handfuls of pellets in the stream and the run boiling with trout scarfing down the pellets. Says it really gets the fishermen angry who claim they are now wild trout because they have been in there so long.

Dougfish

I never fish it anymore. Once upon a time the kept thecattle fenced out. Not anymore. And it gets pimped out worse than any water I know.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Quote from: Big J on July 11, 2019, 11:46:47 AMCowboy has stories about going down there and throwing handfuls of pellets in the stream and the run boiling with trout scarfing down the pellets. Says it really gets the fishermen angry who claim they are now wild trout because they have been in there so long.

You mean them trout "went native?" Heh. That's what I've heard old-timers say.

Beetle

That's quite a head of hair Gerald has.....

Onslow

I wouldn't drive 20 minutes to that POS water.  Driving to the Cape Fear, floating/fishing from Buckhorn dam to Lillington, and camping at Raven Rock would be awesome.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Dougfish on July 11, 2019, 13:07:31 PMI never fish it anymore. Once upon a time the kept thecattle fenced out. Not anymore. And it gets pimped out worse than any water I know.

So, there are cattle running up and down the banks and through the creek, but they won't let you wade?

"Wading is not allowed. All fishing must be done from the bank to avoid damaging the stream or its insect populations which the trout count on to thrive."

That's weird, to say the least.

If I wanted to fight the crowds to fish a place like that, I'd hit the Davidson or the trophy water at Cherokee. I can be on either one in about 45 minutes or less; but I hardly ever fish the D, and have never fished the Cherokee trophy water.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Phil

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 12, 2019, 08:01:19 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on July 11, 2019, 13:07:31 PMI never fish it anymore. Once upon a time the kept thecattle fenced out. Not anymore. And it gets pimped out worse than any water I know.

So, there are cattle running up and down the banks and through the creek, but they won't let you wade?

"Wading is not allowed. All fishing must be done from the bank to avoid damaging the stream or its insect populations which the trout count on to thrive."

If I wanted to fight the crowds to fish a place like that, I'd hit the Davidson or the trophy water at Cherokee. I can be on either one in about 45 minutes or less; but I hardly ever fish the D, and have never fished the Cherokee trophy water.

+2 on what Yaller said, except I've never fished the Davidson (or wanted to) and only tried the Cherokee crap once. That was enough.

Big J

It's more so that the stream is unwadable.  You step in that stream and you'd sink into 3 ft of mud and cow dung.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Phil on July 12, 2019, 08:12:41 AM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 12, 2019, 08:01:19 AM

+2 on what Yaller said, except I've never fished the Davidson (or wanted to) and only tried the Cherokee crap once. That was enough.

If you ignore the part of the Davidson that everybody else fishes and go way upstream or hit the tributaries, there is some really good small-stream fishing over there. And almost nobody else fishing it.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Big J on July 12, 2019, 08:14:41 AMIt's more so that the stream is unwadable.  You step in that stream and you'd sink into 3 ft of mud and cow dung.

Sounds like the "insect population" they talk about is probably mostly flies. :D

Dougfish

Yep, tis wierd.
And fukked up.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

"If you ignore the part of the Davidson that everybody else fishes and go way upstream or hit the tributaries, there is some really good small-stream fishing over there. And almost nobody else fishing it."

Good to know. The crowd thing kept me from looking at it.
As far as Cherokee trophy water -- I caught a big huge "golden trout" or whatever it was called there the one time I fished it (among other stockers). That was the ugliest excuse for a trout I've ever seen.  :o

<edit> Sorry to stray from the topic.