News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

there ain't no app for this....

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 12, 2010, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

The river was flowing up from its normal level, still wadeable but requiring a little more effort in some spots. The runs were boisterous and required an extra shot to get the fly down. One of my favorite spots didn't fish well at all, but we managed to hook a number of rainbows and browns on a clear blue sky day.

I was planning to fish with Troutphisher, WRector pm'ed my and we made the driver over the divide to the Tennessee tailwater.  This was WR's first trip and I put him in a nice little run to see how he'd do. The rest of the section was 'asses to elbows' so after working over the rest of the water we decided to move upstream. Before we left I stepped into WR's run and proceeded to catch 4 trouts, although only one came to net.  Just showin' off I guess.

TP and WR wore 'em out on a favorite run while I worked the bigger water below.  WR hooked into a big brown that he had to chase down stream over a coupled of riffles in order to bring it to net. After a while we all moved up to the head of this section and fished a prolific run. In short order we were all hooked up, the first triple of the day! Many browns and rainbows came to net.

Having worn out that spot we moved again and found another favorite location vacant. We jumped in and proceeded to hook up with more of the feisty fish. The rainbows were all colored up for the most part and had beautiful fins marked with white edges and the browns had rich butter bellies and vibrant spots. The fish began to rise to BOW's and we all cast to rising fish with dry flies. I choose a parachute emerger pattern and brought several fish to hand. The fish stopped rising and TP and I went subsurface again with PTNs, BWOs and Zibra patterns.

We moved once again in search of more dry fly action and we found it in some slick water. BWOs were floating by in the evening light. TP wore 'em out and WR had some success as well. I managed to get a few to rise to a #18 bwo emerger. Later the fish were not interested in the dun but appeared to be sipping emergers. The duns were smaller now too about a #20. TP continued to hook up while my success was somewhat limited.  Diddymo was floating throught the water, making fishing a pain. About every third or fourth cast we had to remove the rock snot and resuscitate the fly.

About an half hour before sunset WR took a seat on the bank, I walk back downstream and declared to TP that it was Beer – thirty  and we hiked back up to the jeep. WR supplied us with a hearty Oatmeal Porter from Asheville's Highland Brewery.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

cmiller51h

YOU ALL SUCK!!!!!!!!!  You're killin me!!!!
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

troutphisher

A fine day indeed gentelman.... 0--0

Interestingly enough, two species of bwo's hatched, one a size 16, then a little later in the evening, the little bwo size 18 popped off.

The beer although somewhat bitter, was still refreshing, after a long walk back to the car.

Now I need a little high elevation brook stream some time this week.............
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

trouthemp

You guy's suck, I'm hump'in my ass off planting this years hemp (for rope making)
and y'all are off fishing......

were just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl....year after year........

tbird4

OldDominionAngler

Blue bells, browns, and some bows....I'm jealous.   0--0  Nice work Woolly.

Twas a good day when I recently found out my local beer grocer had started carrying Highland, good stuff.

hopper

I am extremely jealous!

Kids in baseball and softball leaves very little time to fish.
If you hunt with your kids you will never have to hunt for you kids.

Al

Good job guys! 

I need to go fishing in a stream. These ponds I have  been fishing in is just not the same :-\

blue ridge angler

benflyfishn

nice report and pics as usual WB  0--0 no better way to pop the cherry on that river than with that gang WR.  0--0 
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

WRector

Quote from: benflyfishn on April 12, 2010, 20:10:58 PM
nice report and pics as usual WB  0--0 no better way to pop the cherry on that river than with that gang WR.  0--0

My first trip the the TN tailwater was nothing short of spectacular.  Even with fighting against the diddymo all day.

Caught quite a few of these beautiful little guys!

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

Caught some of these...

[attach=3]

Finally was able to run down this hoss, somewhere around 18" - 20".  Let me tell yah, running on didmo is like as in TP puts it; running on "Bowling balls covered in snot"...

[attach=4]

Here's my accidental artistic shot of the day taken while trying to land a fish. 

[attach=5]

Appreciate the introduction WB and TP!!!  Couldn't have been a more beautiful day.  0--0
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

glassfisher

Super suck, y'all need to bring some Old Style for TP, he don't like them extra bitter hippie beers.   0--0
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Woolly Bugger

i'll bet he'd like the Haywire Hefeweizen from Pyramid Brewery...

jis sayin'

we sampled it last week and it was very non descriptive
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 12, 2010, 21:47:16 PM
i'll bet he'd like the Haywire Hefeweizen from Pyramid Brewery...

jis sayin'

we sampled it last week and it was very non descriptive

Well, did you save a bottle for me?

eben sagend'
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.