News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Anybody ever fish in Mexico?

Started by Ham, September 30, 2008, 18:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham

We've got leave coming up in December and my wife wants to go to Cancun or Cozumel. Anybody ever do any fishing down there or have any recommendations?

Beetle

It's probably too early but the sailfish come in massive numbers off the coast in February and March. 

Isla Mujeres off Cancun is one of the best places in the world to catch sailfish during these months.  Hundreds and hundreds of sailfish line up to attack bait balls.  The Mexican government is very protective of this fishery so I don't know if you can do it or not in December.

http://www.haphazardsportfishing.com/mexico.htm

There is peacock bass fishing on the mainland.  I'm sure the grouper and snapper fishing is good that time of year.

Ham

wet line

Hi. Not sure what kind of fish you are going after, but about 3 hours south of Cancun is Ascension Bay. Great flats and mangrove fishing for bones, permit and baby tarpon.
I am pretty sure a couple of the operators have day trips set up from Cancun, where they will pick you up early in the morning , bring you down to Ascension Bay all day and then back to Cancun again.  Ideally staying down around the bay (Punta Allen) would be the ticket, but there isn't a whole lot to do for wives that don't fish. 
Ascension Bay is a neat place, and I'm sure thinking about all the fish you cast to would make the drive back to the hotel a little more bearable.
I think there is also some opportunities for bonefish around Cancun/Cozumel but I don't know much about it.

You can PM if you need any more info.

launchone

Boca Paila, Ascension Bay, the fleet out of Puerto Aventuras, and Casa Blanca are all within reach of Cancun...