Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transylwader

Hey hey!
Fast forward to 0:38

consumnfire1229

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

RiverbumCO

I hope to Buddha that he tried the ol creeper thigh grab as they drove back to WS.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: RiverbumCO on June 03, 2014, 21:18:11 PM
I hope to Buddha that he tried the ol creeper thigh grab as they drove back to WS.

I suppose, but what I hope is he got some sort of clarification on why today's gals paint every other nail.  Now that is baffling.  In the day, I liked all the nails on my concubine to be painted. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

We held our June meeting in the Mirror Plant parking area. In waders.
Small turnout of the usual suspects and two guests.
I took Mark, a guest from Raleigh, down to the river and gave him a tour from the trestle pool to the end of the vegetable fields.
Then we fished.

Did some tying this week. Soft hackles.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Two fishermen.

Forget-me-nots

We broke for a grilled burger and dog lunch. Thanks consuminfire!
Then everyone bugged out except for he and I. It was bright and hot.
The bugs were still coming off and the fish were off and on. But not cooperating.
We flogged for a while and packed it in.

I have replaced almost all my modern reels with vintage ones now. Pfleuger 1494, sculted pillars, round guide, metal cap, metal drag knob. From the '30s. Solid as a rock.

Picked up some big bottles when traveling this week. How could I refuse this one? Very good, unfiltered, Nelson Co. ale.

Al

This is an addition to DougFish's post on same topic:

If you missed the Smith River Fish with a Friend event this past weekend you missed a great opportunity to network with some very knowledgeable fishermen who are collectively known in some circles as the "Smith River Regulars".  It was a great chance to peek into fly boxes, compare rod and leader set ups, watch experienced fishermen as they approached different sections of the river and have fun doing it.

Trout streams don't get much prettier than this. Plenty of casting space. Most sections are wader friendly and there are lots of fish.  Some of you may be thinking, "Ya - but what do you do with all that flat water beyond that attractive riffle and old log?"  Knowledgeable "regulars" will tell you that is where most of the fish are located. Learn to fish it and you will have solved half the rivers secrets.

Need proof - here you go!  I pulled this one and several others out of that very long stretch of flat water.

Sure there are a lot of small fish in the Smith River but they are fun to catch. There is a saying which I believe has merit. It goes something like this - "If you can consistently  catch a handful of trout out of the Smith you can catch trout anywhere" or words to that effect.

One of our "friends" took awhile to figure it out but that bend in his rod and the determined look on his face tells the story.

Back at the Mirror Factory parking lot all that smoke must mean it is time to share some good food and swap stories.

"I swear the one I lost right at the net was at least this long - maybe a little longer"

After lunch we were on our own. A few linked up with a "regular" and gave it another try.  "Now lets see - how did he say I should fish this gorgeous section of flat water?"

Our next scheduled event is a fishing trip to Grayson Highlands 20-22 June 14. We did this same trip last year during the same timeframe and had a great time. You don't have to be a member of SRTU to attend. If you would like to join us contact Doug Jessie djessie@jrpeters.com or Al Kittredge aakitt@earthlink.net

Dougfish

I hadn't fished by myself in a while so I kept my mouth shut and eased down to the river this AM. It was good. I took my time. Sampled the flows for bugs with my seine. Turned over rocks. Sat in the shade and watched. Observed. Watched caterpillars drop into the river and meet their fate.
I feel like I should write a haiku about the day.

It was a quiet Saturday. Only saw one other fisherman and he was working away from me. The bugs were not coming off much. And there were long droughts of nothing. I ended up nymphing more than dry flying. Caught enough to make me happy, lost/missed enough to piss me off. That's me and this river. I know what patterns I need to tie more of, how to tweak them, and what sizes. A few pics.

Turtle in forest
Brown trout in milky waters
Big crayfish dies old

tomato can

Is that white paniculated crap elderberry?

Dougfish

Quote from: tomato can on June 14, 2014, 18:01:31 PM
Is that white paniculated crap elderberry?

Elderberry, yes.

Al

Good show Doug.

Yep, just fishing by yourself is satisfying at times. Maybe not as much fun but definitely more productive.

consumnfire1229

What, you can't take the high holing anymore?  I'm hurt..
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

NCsporksman

Elderberry syrup, a great way to make any desert sauce sound pretentious in a fine dining atmosphere....I wish I knew what flies to use, tweak and tie..

Dougfish

Quote from: NCsporksman on June 14, 2014, 20:07:36 PM
Elderberry syrup, a great way to make any desert sauce sound pretentious in a fine dining atmosphere....I wish I knew what flies to use, tweak and tie..

I make a Manhattan with Black Elderberry syrup, called a Black Miranda. My woman is putty in my hands after two of those.

I don't know shit, but learn every day. Then I go back all cocky and stuff, and get smacked down.  But my fly box(es) is(are) full.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: NCsporksman on June 14, 2014, 20:07:36 PM

#16 puff daddy & rusty spinner

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Little recon in the evening, since they don't generate on the weekends I can get a better look at the bugs.
BWOs came off, followed by the sulfurs at dusk. Forgot to put the memory card back in the camera so iPhone had to be put into service. Early on swung soft hackles and picked off some of the bigger fish (12 inches is good in the upper Smith) followed by Puff Daddy and Rusty Spinners. Dale's Pale Ale helped pass the time while waiting for the river to light up.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!