News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

WTB 10' 4wt or 5wt rod

Started by chasntrout, April 09, 2013, 13:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasntrout

Looking for a 10' 4wt or 5wt rod. My price range is $150-300.

Anybody want to bite?

_Fish_Pimp

10 foot? What are you competition fishing? sheeshhh. No need for a 10' rod on the east coast unless you're spAy/switch-rod fishing for steelhead. or tenkara of course, but Id rather go cut a long piece of bamboo and tie a string on the end..... :laugh:

If you're gonna get a 10 footer, might as well grab a 14 footer while you're at it...high stick heaven right there.  /'/

Good luck finding what ya want!

chasntrout

"Speak softly, and carry a big stick." - Pres. TR

outdoorguy3

Quote from: chasntrout on April 09, 2013, 13:32:12 PM
Looking for a 10' 4wt or 5wt rod. My price range is $150-300.

Anybody want to bite?

chasntrout,  I have three 10' rods that I use and have a 4wt. That I will sell you.  It is a rod I built, as I build all my rods.  I also have a 10 foot 5wt. blank that I can build out for you.

I will sell the built rod for $175.00.  I have fished this rod.  Building the 10 foot 5 wt., the cost will depend on components used.

As far as not needing one on the east coast, that pimp doesn't know of what he speaks!  I have been fishing 10 foot rods for a couple of years now and can't believe the difference.

Give me a shout if you want to know more or have any questions.  Let me know if your interested.

Ralph ;D
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

overbrook

I've got one of ODG3's  10' 4 wts. and its a sweet rod....and while I bought it primarily for throwing small poppers to bluegill floating my pond.....I can tell ya it would be the shit for a nymphing rod on the SOHO or the like.

_Fish_Pimp

Try using a 10 footer in the rhodo...puuuuleasseeee  :laugh: have fun untangling your flies. sounds fine for the sohoe or watauga. but you can do just as well getting a good drift with a 9' and i sometimes even use a 7'10 4wt for dries on the soho cause its fun.  <-;:

If ya cant get a good drift with a 9' I don't see how adding a foot is gonna help you a huge amount, ya might wanna just hold your arm up really high and practice your mending   :P

On a more serious note---
I'm sure Ralph builds a fine rod, so if that's what you want, get it!

outdoorguy3

Pimp,

I do just fine with a 9 foot rod thank you.  I have also fished with 6'3" 3 wt., 7'9" 3wt., 8'6" 4 wt. and do just fine with these rods as well.  I also nymph with all these rods too! 

I prefer to fish the SoHo as often as possible so I choose to use the best tool I have for my kind of fishing.  You are probably a way better fisherman than me. It's just that I choose not to fish those small mountain streams where the fish seem to hit anything that floats by.  Whatever floats your boat man!

Ralph ;D
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

_Fish_Pimp

I didn't say you had a problem with a 9' rod.. and I streamer fish with my 7'10" TXL-F 4wt...  p;-

and I didn't say I was better! Its just my opinion that an extra foot isn't going to be a magic bullet for making someone catch fish. I did not specifically say you...

I like to fish small creeks, but I also do fish the Holston and Watauga on a regular basis, once or twice a week homework permitting. They aren't that much harder than a small creek, its just a different style. I'm not in any way saying that I'm "better" than anyone..I'm mediocre at best, but sometimes I do have to question the amount people fish compared to their time on the internet/eating tater chips  :-*   especially with the number of reports that get posted.....

Sorry! I just needed a good rant after working on this 10 page paper on a 19th century artist all evening.

Take care!  0:0

--Jon

5xTippett

Ralph can fish as good as anybody on this board whether he posts reports or not.  I have a rod he made for me and I would not trade it for any factory rod made.

_Fish_Pimp

That was just a general statement about the amount of reports posted compared to the number of people 'active'.

Like I said, it wasn't directed at anyone specific.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

10' 4wt years ago on the SOHO was a hoot.  It was a 10' Scott and I foolishly traded it for VT parking passes for sporting events.

Trip reports?  The reason I don't do more is I am embarrassed that I can't get photos and text in that attractive black box.

Peace.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

22midge

well since I have the reputation of being an asshole defending those "special people " I have met....let me say this and hope you can be on my list for "special people "someday. There was a song a few years ago that said "dont step on supermans's cape" You could probably write another 10 page report on what ODG3 has forgotten about fishing.I have been chasing the painted fish with the longrod since I was 9 years old and now Im over 60. Our Friend ODG3 is one of the best to wade a creek and giving his opinion and helping others is a gift he has given to many of us. I dont believe the man asking for a 10' rod had any intention of fishing the bluelines.Oh yea I fish the 10' 4-5-7 wt rods and they are rockets.Be safe.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

_Fish_Pimp

I was just expressing my dislike for long competition style rods, no personal insult was intended at all. Sorry if it seemed that way. I just can't grasp the theory that 12 more inches of rod length is going to increase ones ability to be a successful trout fisherman. Its the Indian (Native American for political correctness), not the arrow  ;)

Mudwall--a scott for VT game parking?  looks like you got the short end of the stick  :-X

overbrook

Fishpimple....I don't think its anything to do with making anyone a better fisherman....like I said....I bought mine for popper fishing for brim....I've caught enough bluegill in my day....I'm pretty sure an extra 12" is'nt gonna help me there either....but playing a one pound bluegill on a 10'  4wt is something I truely enjoy.....back in the day I used to use 12' noodle rods.  The 10' also gives a little slower action to throwing poppers than a shorter rod.....I guess I'm gettin old and like the more relaxed feel of a slower pitch. Sometimes....it just ain't about YOU.  :;!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I've only met Ralph a time or two.  I reason he's "special" because I think he is a wily prankster with angling knowledge.   And that is a tribute.  So, if old Ralph ain't what I think he is, don't any of you correct me.   I have an image in my head and I don't want to purge it.   

Now Pimp is just a learning pup – seems to have solid potential.   Hey Overbrook, you beaver assassin, THAT was not called for!

I am going to post some reports as soon as the Mrs. shows me how to save and import in something like Photobucket.   Speaking of buckets, I am as dumb as a coal bucket when it comes to technology.

Peace brothers and sisters!

Special Needs Mudwall G.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon