News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Overcoming Bias

Started by Onslow, May 26, 2019, 16:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

A conversation yesterday with a beach hater from Wilmington illuminated the irrational fickleness of people, and the contempt people have for things that are near, and easy.  Today, I tried near, and easy.  I've been to this area to hike, backpack, with scouts, and with the family.  Only fished the lower section once, and that was about 5 years ago.

This stream has lost most of its hemlocks, but the white pines still stand tall.  Due to the wet Fall, Winter, and Spring, everything is green with moss.  The creeks are also still full even though dry breezy drought time conditions have been prevalent for the last few weeks.

Got an early start.  First one in hand at around 7 AM

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Could buy any action in the larger pools.

I did see much action in smaller runs.  Some of the medium size pools yielded multiple fish.

Oh, the scenery!

After a few hours, I had to wrap up this delightful jaunt through the woods.

Dougfish

Bravo! You think Leroy lives in those big pools?
The stream we backpacked into has the same pools/results.
Getting streamer bombed this fall.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

This place is wall to wall cockroach.

I did speak to an angler from Winston who claims his sidekick pulled an 18 incher from this creek.  Being the fish look well fed, and the big pools ain't yielding, there is the answer.

Towards the end of the sojourn, I noticed some caddis emerging at the head of some pools.  I should have been dredging some caddis emergers.

Woolly Bugger

Nice and green! Those pools look fishy to me!  <-;:
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

Dee-Vo

There are some larger fish in there. I know there is. Quite the remote, eye-pleasing backcountry atmosphere, and endless water. One of my favorite haunts. Wildlife of every type awaits a man in them hollers. A man could dissect the creeks on that mountainside and have a different mission for every weekend for months without covering the same water twice.

I dig it.

Yallerhammer

'c; Looks like a good day to me! That is some beautiful water, reminds me of a lot of some of my favorite little creeks around here. I have the opposite bias problem sometimes, I tend to fish the familiar nearby creeks at the expense of trying new water many times.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Yallerhammer on May 27, 2019, 06:08:58 AM'c; Looks like a good day to me! That is some beautiful water, reminds me of a lot of some of my favorite little creeks around here. I have the opposite bias problem sometimes, I tend to fish the familiar nearby creeks at the expense of trying new water many times.

This is my trouble all the time. At one point in time I never enjoyed fishing a stream more than once or twice. Now, I feel sort of like it's fun to get to know a stream and find out exactly what it's all about and what all it holds.

Dee-Vo

@Onslow - Meant to ask you when we spoke -- did you see a net anywhere in there? That's where I lost my last. Exact same stretch of water.

Big J

Glad someone is getting out and enjoying the morning trout fishing.  Amazing how quickly things have warmed up.  Those fish are well fed too.