Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Two-thirds of juvenile wild salmon being tracked during their migration from Scottish rivers vanished within the first 60 miles of their journeys, according to new research.

The smolts were tagged as part of the Missing Salmon Project aimed at establishing the reasons for a 70% fall in numbers in the past 25 years.

But preliminary findings have shown two-thirds of the 850 tagged fish perished in the early stages of their
migration from seven rivers in the Moray Firth to the open sea.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/experts-two-thirds-of-migrating-salmon-lost-in-the-first-60-miles/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

https://www.ellsworthamerican.com/maine-news/waterfront/project-makes-way-for-alewives/

QuoteAlewives and Atlantic salmon soon will have an easier time navigating the Dennys River and reaching Meddybemps Lake.
On Monday, Jan. 6, the Downeast Salmon Federation began removing the remains of an unused hydroelectric station that prevents the fish from swimming upstream in the river to spawn.

"The removal of this power station brings us one step closer to restoring the abundant runs of sea-run fish that once abounded in the Dennys River," said Dwayne Shaw, executive director of the Downeast Salmon Federation.
After the federation has removed the generator, turbines and upper portions of the powerhouse, it will reshape the river bottom and banks to improve fish passage.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

How one man's passion for fly-fishing led to protecting Russian salmon rivers

QuoteSalmon strongholds have in recent years been advanced around the North Pacific as conservation strategies to protect watersheds that are home to healthy wild salmon populations and the larger ecosystems they support. Protecting and maintaining the rivers and wetlands on which salmon depend — where that is still possible — is a much sounder strategy than trying to restore destroyed habitat and endangered fish. In Alaska, we're fortunate to still have free-flowing rivers and the salmon that support our households and economy, although protections vary and do not encompass entire watersheds.

"Stronghold" is the engrossing, well-told story of one man, Guido Rahr, responsible for initiating and advancing the stronghold concept in the North Pacific, particularly on Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula. Beginning with his boyhood adventures at a family fishing cabin on Oregon's Deschutes River, a tributary to the once-salmon-filled Columbia River, the narrative follows Rahr into his fly-fishing passion and devotion to protecting wild salmon and their wild places.

https://www.adn.com/arts/books/2020/01/12/how-one-mans-passion-for-fly-fishing-led-to-protecting-russian-salmon-rivers/

You cannot view this attachment.
https://amzn.to/36M7HRN
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The wild salmon leaping to extinction: In just ten years, Britain's premier fishing rivers have seen catches fall from thousands to hundreds. The reason? A toxic cocktail of greed, pollution – and cynical politicians

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7901139/GUY-ADAMS.html

QuoteSome of the hardiest souls in Scotland braved icy winds and showers to attend the opening of the salmon fishing season on the famous Meikleour beat of the River Tay this week.
There was tartan galore, with bagpipers, prayers from a whisky-swilling church minister, free shortbread, and a performance of Caledonia by folk singer Dougie Maclean, who then hopped into a boat to cast the ceremonial first fly of 2020.
Yet one thing was missing from this bracing celebration on Wednesday. Namely: an actual salmon.
Although nearly 80 anglers spent their day flogging the two-mile stretch of swirling water, gaining numb fingers and toes in the process, not a single 'bar of silver' — as the fishing guides (or 'ghillies') often call the larger fish that migrate up the river each spring — ended up on the bank. Nor was a single salmon seen.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Grants totaling $3.7 million to support Maine environmental efforts

https://www.thecentersquare.com/maine/grants-totaling-million-to-support-maine-environmental-efforts/article_7d3d0ee0-38a0-11ea-9c41-e36f3f8bfe1f.html

QuoteOther recipients of the funding this year include the Atlantic Salmon Federation, Three Rivers Land Trust, Bangor Land Trust, The Trust for Public Land, 7 Lakes Alliance, York Land Trust, Western Foothills Land Trust, Falmouth Land Trust, Great Works Regional Land Trust, the Maine Department of Transportation, Loon Echo Land Trust, Upper St. John River Organization, the Town of Wells, Royal River Conservation Trust, Orono Land Trust, and the Frenchman Bay Conservancy.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Some fascinating findings on salmon migration

QuoteSalmon are known to migrate to feeding grounds in the Atlantic Ocean from the rivers in which they were born.
A question that has remained unanswered for years is: "To get to the ocean, when Salmon descend rivers like the Boyne, do they turn left and migrate anticlockwise around the north coast of Ireland or do they turn right and migrate clockwise around the south coast of our green isle?

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/lifestyle/some-fascinating-findings-on-salmon-migration-38870398.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

QuoteThe federal minister in charge of overseeing Canada's fisheries and oceans says that "extensive" remediation efforts are continuing at the the site of a large landslide that cut off salmon from migrating along the Fraser River.

It's been about seven months since the Big Bar landslide first happened, roughly 64 kilometres north of Lillooet. Fisheries and Oceans Canada staff, alongside local First Nations, tirelessly worked to free the fish trapped behind the slide.

https://www.coastmountainnews.com/news/extensive-work-planned-at-big-bar-landslide-ahead-of-salmon-steelhead-migration/#

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A million trees planted to save salmon

QuoteA SCHEME to conserve wild salmon by planting trees on river banks has been launched by the River Dee Trust with the support of the Dee District Salmon Fishery Board.
The £5.5 million project will involve planting a million native trees in one of the biggest nature restoration projects in the Cairngorms.

The trees will help prevent a repetition of the high river temperatures which damaged young salmon stocks on the Upper Dee two years ago, said the trust.
As well as providing nutrition and shelter for all river species, the trees will encourage a wide range of wildlife to thrive and recreate areas of landscape that have been lost for 2000 years.

https://www.fishfarmermagazine.com/news/a-million-trees-planted-to-save-salmon/

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Tongass study: Forest fish of Alaska

QuoteA first ever, 10-year study estimates the numbers and values of what the Tongass and Chugach rivers and streams contribute to Alaska's commercial salmon industry.

The Tongass is the largest national forest in the country at nearly 27,000 square miles and covers most of Southeast Alaska. The adjacent Chugach at half the size ranks as the nation's second largest forest and covers the Copper River delta, Prince William Sound, and part of the Kenai Peninsula.

The study results showed that from 2007 to 2016, the two forests contributed 48 million salmon on average each year to commercial fisheries, with a dockside value of $88 million.

These "forest fish" represented 25 percent of Alaska's total salmon catch for decade and 16 percent of the total commercial value.

https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska/tongass-study-forest-fish-of-alaska/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Scotland's wild salmon threatened by fish farm escapes

QuoteWild salmon have been put under increased pressure by more than 20 incidents of mass escapes of fish from Scottish farms since the start of 2019, experts have warned.

Around 73,000 farmed salmon, each weighing an average of 1.9kg, broke free from their open-net cage near Colonsay during Storm Brendan last month.

Experts estimate the number of escapees is around double how many wild Atlantic salmon return to their home rivers on the west coast of Scotland.

Farmed salmon pose a risk to their wild counterparts as it can lead to inbreeding and the spread of disease.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/wild-salmon-threatened-by-farm-escapes/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

QuoteLLSWORTH, Maine (WABI) - More than 50 people in Ellsworth Wednesday night talked about ways to keep streams, rivers, and fish safe here in Maine.

The Downeast Chapter for Trout Unlimited is an organization dedicated to protecting and restoring not only coldwater species but also habitat.
Scott Craig is with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
He spoke to the group about restoration efforts in parts of the Narraguagus River.
Atlantic salmon, Arctic char, and brook trout are among species the group wants to help.

https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Downeast-Trout-Unlimited.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Coldwater respite for Sheepscot River migratory fish

QuoteMidcoast Conservancy and Maine Department of Marine Resources staff have been braving the cold waters of the Sheepscot River planting Atlantic salmon eggs this month. These eggs will hatch and turn into small fish, called parr, which will spend one to two years in the river before they journey to the ocean. These efforts are all part of the larger goal of restoring the river to its natural state, where migratory cold water fish can access the spawning grounds they have returned to for thousands of years.

Atlantic salmon travel thousands of miles from their feeding grounds off the coast of Greenland to return to their native rivers to spawn, including the waters of Midcoast Maine. They endure challenges along the way that lower their survival at sea, including pollution, over-harvesting, and impacts of warming waters on their food sources. When they return to freshwater rivers in Maine they stop feeding and rely on only their energy reserves to navigate to their spawning grounds. At this point they require well-oxygenated, cold waters, as do their eggs.

https://www.wiscassetnewspaper.com/article/coldwater-respite-sheepscot-river-migratory-fish/131181
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Conservation Groups Will Sue Feds to Stop Massive Timber Sale in Critical Habitat for Snake River Steelhead

QuoteSince time immemorial Pacific salmon and ocean-run steelhead trout have fought their way up the tumultuous waters of the Columbia and Snake Rivers to spawn in the headwater streams that flow west from Idaho's towering snow-capped mountains.  Their vast numbers fed wildlife such as bears and eagles, while sustaining the Indian tribes along the migration route.  But with the damming of the great rivers and destruction of aquatic habitat due to logging, mining, road-building and development, the runs began to dwindle and in 1997 the Snake River Steelhead were listed as "threatened" under the Endangered Species Act.

Zoom forward the 23 years since they were listed and the numbers are grim indeed.  Last October a mere 8,182 steelhead made it past the Lower Granite Dam.  Despite the Nez Perce Tribe spending millions to recover the Snake River Steelhead upon which its people have relied for millennia, the on-going habitat destruction sanctioned and committed by the U.S. government has resulted in the lowest number of spawning fish in 25 years — and not even a sliver of traditional pre-dam spawning runs.

Tragically, instead of recovering the steelhead population, Trump's Forest Service has decided to add to the extinction-threatening habitat degradation with another massive deforestation project.  Hiding behind the phony excuse of "forest health," the Lolo Insect & Disease Project would build nearly 14 miles of new roads in the Lolo Creek watershed and log nearly 3,400 acres, including 2,644 acres of clearcuts.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04/14/conservation-groups-will-sue-feds-to-stop-massive-timber-sale-in-critical-habitat-for-snake-river-steelhead/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

QuoteFor probably the first time in nearly 200 years, Atlantic salmon are back in the Ashuelot River's tributaries. The N.H. Fish and Game Department Friday unloaded about 50,000 young salmon into three tributaries of the river. The 2-inch salmon — called fry — will spend about two years in the tributaries, growing big enough to swim to the Ashuelot and Connecticut rivers, then out to the Atlantic Ocean.

https://www.sentinelsource.com/news/local/this-day-in-history-april-15-2020/article_d21b56a0-568c-5d86-9093-985ab40b71af.html
me -There's a season?