Unlimited Everything Everglades....

Started by Woolly Bugger, November 18, 2020, 09:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Scientific expedition to study human impact on Florida Everglades

>>>A team of five that includes a female University of Florida professor as its lead scientist will embark Thursday on a dangerous trek across the Florida Everglades to assess the impact of humans on the world's largest subtropical wilderness. The group will retrace an 1897 canoe journey that was first completed by explorer and scientist Hugh de Laussat Willoughby.

Tracie Baker, an associate professor of environmental and global health in the UF College of Public Health and Health Professions, has joined the team of experienced explorers and guides in a mission to sample and test for the same water constituents that Willoughby did more than a century ago. Willoughby's charts aided in creating the first accurate maps of the region, and his water sampling provided the baseline water chemistry for the Everglades.

"This expedition is primarily focused on applying modern scientific investigations to one of the planet's most important watersheds. However, we also hope to inspire future generations of scientists, explorers and all citizens to be better stewards of our shared environment," said Baker, a member of the UF Water Institute. "My work focuses on multidisciplinary research that seeks to bridge and improve human, animal and environmental health. The Willoughby Expedition will provide critical primary research into that work."

https://news.ufl.edu/2022/10/willoughby-expedition/

Follow along with this interactive website...

The Willoughby Expedition

An Over 130 Mile Coast to Coast Canoe Expedition Across the Largest Remaining Subtropical Wilderness in America
In recognition of the 125th Anniversary of Hugh Willoughby's daring Everglades crossing and the 75th Anniversary of the creation of Everglades National Park.

https://www.willoughbyexpedition.org/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Florida teen wins top prize by capturing 28 pythons in annual competition
1,000 people participated in the annual challenge, which removed 231 unwanted pythons from the wild

A 19-year-old south Florida man captured 28 Burmese pythons in a 10-day competition created to increase awareness about the threat the invasive snakes pose to state ecology.

Matthew Concepcion was among the 1,000 people from 32 states, Canada and Latvia who participated in the annual challenge, which removed 231 of the unwanted pythons, the Florida fish and wildlife conservation commission said.

Concepcion was awarded the $10,000 Ultimate Grand Prize courtesy of the Bergeron Everglades Foundation. Dustin Crum won a $1,500 grand prize for removing the longest python, at just over 11ft.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/oct/26/florida-pythons-captured-competition-miami

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

The Everglades, over the years and through your eyes - a Florida treasure turns 75
https://www.wlrn.org/environment/2022-12-09/the-everglades-over-the-years-and-through-your-eyes-a-florida-treasure-turns-75
The Everglades National Park celebrates its 75th anniversary this week. To mark the occasion, we take a look at stunning images that show the history of the park and its majestic beauty – including photographs from our readers and listeners.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Everglades needs more fresh water moving south. This new project will help

The latest step in righting the wrongs done to the Everglades centuries ago kicked off Thursday morning with shovelfuls of ceremonial dirt flung into the air. The South Florida Water Management District announced a new project to uncork the flow of much-needed freshwater south, into the thirsty Florida Bay, by cutting holes into a long abandoned highway winding through Everglades National Park. "For Florida Bay, being last in line means for decades and decades and decades water was diverted," Shannon Estenoz, assistant secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks for the U.S. Interior Department, told the crowd of federal, state and nonprofit Everglades restoration advocates gathered in the park. "You guys are bringing the Bay back to life, and that's an incredible human achievement."

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article271605912.html#storylink=cpy
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Pythons are snacking on GPS-wearing opossums that give up their locations

After nearly five months of waiting, an alarm activated on Michael Cove's radio, a sign his study was working.

To hunt pythons, an invasive predator in the Florida Keys, Cove and fellow researchers have been strapping GPS collars to opossums and raccoons. When one was eaten by a python in September, researchers programmed the device to notify them from within the snake's stomach.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://wapo.st/3IdTzEv
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Army Corps of Engineers and South Florida Water Management District break ground on the EAA Reservoir, a critical Everglades restoration project.

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/eaa-reservoir-groundbreaking/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Python invasion has exploded out of the Everglades and into nearly all of southern Florida, new map shows

Burmese pythons are too good at what they do — they're nearly undetectable to both humans and their prey, they barely need to move and when they do they're deadly. On top of that, they have lots of babies.

As a result, according to an ambitious new paper produced by the U.S. Geological Survey, their population has exploded in only 20 years from a few snakes at the southern tip of Everglades National Park to an invasion that envelops the southern third of Florida.

The reptile's "invasion front" has recently rolled through Broward and Palm Beach counties and is moving up the state. The current front encompasses the southern end of Lake Okeechobee and is pushing westward north of Fort Myers.

The study, which meticulously synthesizes several decades' worth of findings from more than 250 research initiatives, assesses where we stand in the python invasion and how we might slow it.

You cannot view this attachment.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/environment/fl-ne-usgs-python-assessment-20230304-r6l6v73l4beprazqjlgysgukyy-story.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Asian swamp eels spread in the Everglades. 'Potentially the worst species we've had yet'

For a crayfish in the Florida Everglades, its worst nightmare is three feet long, dark brown and pure muscle, with a mouth like a vacuum that sucks up nearly everything it can find — tiny fish, small shellfish, turtle eggs and frogs. It's called the Asian swamp eel. And while Floridians may be more used to seeing it grilled and doused in a sweet sticky sauce in sushi rolls, the slippery beasts have become an increasingly problematic invasive species in the delicate Everglades ecosystem. While these eels have been a presence in certain pockets of the park for decades, a newly released paper published in the journal Science of the Total Environment has — for the first time — put some hard numbers on the voracious appetite of these creatures. And it isn't pretty.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article273646460.html#storylink=cpy
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A positive sign for Southwest Florida's environment: The population of wading birds in the Everglades is soaring to near-record numbers.

Wading birds going about their business in our swamps may not seem like a spectacular sight, but experts say we're lucky to see them.

"The biggest threat to wading birds in the Everglades [was] plume hunting," said Dr. Shawn Clem, director of research at Audubon's Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary.

Clem says the birds were nearly hunted to extinction for their feathers, but the Audubon Society stepped in to protect them. And the fight still isn't done.

https://winknews.com/2023/04/21/wading-birds-repopulating-everglades-in-near-record-numbers/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

It's Toxic Slime Time on Florida's Lake Okeechobee
Huge green blooms are threatening wildlife, pets, people and cities. And algae season is only getting started.

For thousands of years, Lake Okeechobee pumped life into Florida's swampy interior. Summer rains swelled the shallow inland sea, creating seasonal overflows that sustained the Everglades and its alligators, panthers, spoonbills and snail kites.

But a vast re-engineering over the past century has transformed Okeechobee into something life-threatening as much as life-giving. Toxic algal blooms now regularly infest much of its 730-square-mile surface during the summer, producing fumes and waterborne poisons potent enough to kill pets that splash in the contaminated waters, or send their owners to the doctor from inhaling the toxins.

The Okeechobee mess, caused mainly by phosphorus-based agricultural fertilizers, festered out of the public consciousness for decades. But in recent summers the problem has become more dire. Climate change is making storms and rainfall more intense and less predictable, and last fall Hurricane Ian stirred up so much phosphorus that this summer is expected to be particularly bad.

Things get further complicated when lake levels climb so high that contaminated water must be released into canals — toward coastal cities like Fort Myers and Stuart — to protect the structural integrity of the 143-mile-long dike holding back the lake.

The coming weeks will offer a serious test.

Full NY Times Article
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Python found pregnant with 60 eggs in Florida Everglades

Last week in the heart of the Everglades, a trapper and his dog embarked on a hunt that would unveil a hidden nest teeming with life. With skilled instincts, the dog sniffed out the concealed nest amidst the dense underbrush. Equipped with a camera, the trapper discovered around 60 eggs and a formidable python inside. Employing sheer bravery, he pulled the snake out by hand, marking another triumph in a battle that has been ongoing.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

watch the video here....

https://abc-7.com/news/environment/2023/07/10/python-found-pregnant-with-60-eggs-in-florida-everglades/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The longest Burmese python ever measured was caught in Florida this week: 'It was insane'

Hunters in South Florida caught the largest Burmese python ever measured, and the lengthy beast is being examined at the Conservancy of Southwest Florida in Naples.
The 19-foot python was caught in the Big Cypress National Preserve in eastern Collier County early Monday morning by Naples hunter and Ohio State University student Jake Waleri, who said the catch was a dream come true.

Watch the video of the capture

https://apple.news/AT7SHzVu2S_6Ra3XDnfZVQQ
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?