News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout-r-us on November 22, 2022, 06:54:11 AMHard to believe the gun peddlers aren't required to secure their inventory. It ain't like this is a new problem. 🤨

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=gun+shops+required+to+secure+property&fr=yfp-t-s&fr2=p%3Afp%2Cm%3Asa%2Cct%3Asa%2Ckt%3Anone&ei=UTF-8&fp=1

You would think! Most of the larger chain stores are required to do so, if not by law, then by management.

I would think that after repeated burglaries at these small independent gun shops the ATF would be able to take their FFl away.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

As I've said before, I continue to feel there are too many guns, if you believe the numbers of more guns than citizens. Combine that with the ease of availability (legal and illegal), our (U.S) worship of firearms, and our tribal insanity, then the dilemma is amplified.   

Yes, I smell hypocritical, even dirty, for purchasing the Kel Tec, overcome with the sensation that I just sold my soul to the devil (a Faustian bargain if I believed in the sons a bitch), or perhaps on the flipside, yielding to the U.S. firearm's edition of Pascal's wager. 

Screw it, I am heading to Food Lion to buy a turkey (no squirrels to eat this Thanksgiving). 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

DURHAM, N.C. — As police try to tackle violent crime in Durham, there's a major factor holding them back: Stolen guns falling into the wrong hands – every single day.

https://www.wral.com/falling-into-the-wrong-hands-average-of-one-gun-a-day-stolen-in-durham/20603031/
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

We called other law enforcement agencies to see how often guns are stolen in their cities.

Here is the breakdown for this year:

Greensboro had 310 guns stolen in 255 vehicle break-ins
Burlington had 24 taken. Officers have recovered three of those
In 45 vehicle break-ins in High Point, 50 firearms were taken
We reached out to Winston-Salem police, but they did not have an accurate breakdown to share with us

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/at-least-one-gun-stolen-in-asheboro-break-ins-how-often-does-it-happen-in-the-triad?utm_source=wghp_app&utm_medium=social&utm_content=share-link
me -There's a season?

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 01, 2022, 07:02:15 AMWe called other law enforcement agencies to see how often guns are stolen in their cities.

Here is the breakdown for this year:

Greensboro had 310 guns stolen in 255 vehicle break-ins
Burlington had 24 taken. Officers have recovered three of those
In 45 vehicle break-ins in High Point, 50 firearms were taken
We reached out to Winston-Salem police, but they did not have an accurate breakdown to share with us

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/at-least-one-gun-stolen-in-asheboro-break-ins-how-often-does-it-happen-in-the-triad?utm_source=wghp_app&utm_medium=social&utm_content=share-link

It still baffles me how many people leave unsecured guns in the car, and especially those who do so with the doors unlocked.  I'm not trying to victim blame, as they're still not the ones doing the actual stealing, but if you're going to make the choice to have a gun to protect yourself from the slim chance of being attacked, you should do a better job of protecting your firearm from the much greater chance of a car break in.
Jeremiah 17:7

Woolly Bugger

Latest update: Attack by 'cowards' could leave Moore County without power for days

Widespread power outages caused by vandalism of electrical substations in Moore County continued on Sunday, with electricity shut off to nearly all residences and businesses, and estimates for restoration of power stretching possibly into Thursday, officials say.

The outages are the result of intentional damage by firearms to two substations in the county, according to Moore County and Duke Energy officials.

Fields said at Sunday's press conference that power outages began shortly after 7 p.m. Saturday and then spread throughout central and southern Moore county.

Jeff Brooks, a spokesman for Duke Energy, explained that the first substation went offline between 7 and 8 p.m. Saturday night, with a second substation following. About 45,000 customers were affected.

Charges will be 'extensive,' says sheriff

Fields stressed that Saturday's attack was "targeted," and that "the persons who did this knew exactly what they were doing."

Fields said that considering state and federal involvement, and the "millions of dollars" of damage done to Duke Energy property, charges will have "more teeth, more bite," and will be "extensive."

I saw this News & Observer article on the News & Observer app and thought you'd be interested.

Latest update: Attack by 'cowards' could leave Moore County without power for days

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article269579392.html

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A Minnesota man who said he was at 'war' with squirrels on his property was arrested after missing his target and shooting through his neighbor's window

A Minnesota man was arrested after he attempted to shoot a squirrel, but the bullet instead went through his neighbor's window, The Associated Press reported on Friday.

The Grand Forks Herald identified the man as 76-year-old Michael James Powers. Powers is facing two years behind bars and multiple charges, including recklessly handling a dangerous weapon and felony discharging a firearm "within a municipality," The AP reported.

After the Powers' neighbor discovered bullet holes on the siding of his house and a bullet on the window ledge in his son's bedroom, he notified the East Grand Forks Police Department, according to The AP and Grand Forks Herald citing an affidavit. In addition to finding the bullet, broken glass was inside the room.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/a-minnesota-man-who-said-he-was-at-war-with-squirrels-on-his-property-was-arrested-after-missing-his-target-and-shooting-through-his-neighbor-s-window/ar-AA158q1M?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=464a3ac77e314171a32655c6adc31316
me -There's a season?

Phil

That's a dumbass right there.

Woolly Bugger

The U.S. is a global outlier for gun deaths among children.

An enduring tragedy
Many Americans are so accustomed to the daily toll of gun violence that they may not realize how much of an outlier the U.S. is for anything related to firearms. Outside of mass shootings like the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School (which happened 10 years ago yesterday), killings of children rarely get much attention. So I want to explain how different the U.S. is when it comes to gun deaths among teenagers and younger children.

Guns are now the No. 1 cause of deaths among American children and teens, ahead of car crashes, other injuries and congenital disease.

In other rich countries, gun deaths are not even among the top four causes of death, a recent Kaiser Family Foundation report found. The U.S. accounts for 97 percent of gun-related child deaths among similarly large and wealthy countries, despite making up just 46 percent of this group's overall population.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20221215&instance_id=80229&nl=the-morning&productCode=NN&regi_id=191156053&segment_id=119595&te=1&uri=nyt%3A%2F%2Fnewsletter%2Fdd2d80e8-038b-502d-9a97-81c4448b7a0d&user_id=9a4f59a2981e6fa52acef3ae2c772ba1

me -There's a season?

Big J

When the heck is an 18-19 a child? That data is cherry picked. The article makes one believe children are dying from firearm negligence then includes an age group where gang related deaths will be included. I'm not saying we shouldn't look into these issues, but manipulated data that is used as an emotionally charged argument is disingenuous at best.

trout-r-us

Numero Uno in child gun deaths.

PLUS

We have a superhero mascot.   

No-one can stop us now.

You cannot view this attachment.
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Big J

Quote from: trout-r-us on December 15, 2022, 13:35:34 PMYou cannot view this attachment.

I thought this was a photoshopped joke when you posted it, then I looked it up......  :o

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 15, 2022, 10:39:22 AMThe U.S. is a global outlier for gun deaths among children.

So I want to explain how different the U.S. is when it comes to gun deaths among teenagers and younger children.

Guns are now the No. 1 cause of deaths among American children and teens, ahead of car crashes, other injuries and congenital disease.

[/quote]
Quote from: Big J on December 15, 2022, 12:09:34 PMWhen the heck is an 18-19 a child?

Headline didn't include teen verbiage -- Age of majority.

How is the data manipulated?

Quote from: Big J on December 15, 2022, 12:09:34 PMbut manipulated data

me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 16, 2022, 16:43:27 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 15, 2022, 10:39:22 AMThe U.S. is a global outlier for gun deaths among children.

So I want to explain how different the U.S. is when it comes to gun deaths among teenagers and younger children.

Quote from: Big J on December 15, 2022, 12:09:34 PMWhen the heck is an 18-19 a child?

Headline didn't include teen verbiage -- Age of majority.

How is the data manipulated?

Quote from: Big J on December 15, 2022, 12:09:34 PMbut manipulated data

[/quote]

The headline might be a bit ambiguous, BUT I see no manipulation of data, nor is the argument "disingenuous".  And there is no "cherry picked" data.  Why would you not include gang related teenage deaths in American children and teens data?  If it is gun related for this age group, then include the numbers.

What I find disingenuous is the selfish argument from the gun revering folks that refuse to even consider that guns/gun access could be or are the fucking problem! 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon