For, lethal injection
7 (41.2%)
For, electric chair
7 (41.2%)
Against
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Phil

Quote from: Big J on April 21, 2022, 08:44:01 AMI agree with Phil's statement.  But honestly, I feel like most of the people on death row wrongly were from the 80's and 90's when court systems were more racist and just wanted to bring someone up on the charges and it didn't matter who it was.  I'm assuming with advancements in forensics that this sort of issue is becoming less and less.  I'd like to see some statistics though to back up my assumption.

That said, there are some heinous unfixable people in this world that are flat out evil and demented.  I believe the death penalty services a purpose for people like this.  People can harden their hearts past the point of return and show no remorse for the gruesome acts they committed.  I think the death penalty should be set aside for the unremorseful heinous crimes and for the most part today, I think that is the case.

I agree with ya on everything except the parts I bolded, J. I fear that things haven't really changed that much.

greg

I struggle with death penalty. For the most part I'm against it. I don't think taking a life is right. On the other hand people like Dylan Roof (think I have name right) deserve to die. The case in SC with the firing squad was a robbery that turned to murder. Guy robbing convince store was unarmed. A fight broke out and he got gun and killed clerk. Does he deserve to die or get life in prison? all I know is i don't  want to be the one making that decision. Victims family deserves justice but is taking another life the right punishment? Like I say glad I'm not the one making the decision.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Like Greg, I am glad I don't have to decide on the punishment of death. 

What does bother me is the tallier of the survey.  It says, "Total Members Voted: 4", but I see 2, 3, 2, and 1 vote(s) for the four choices.  What the heck am I missing?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

I worked for a guy for two summers during my time at VT. Tree service. Death defying chain saw work.
He was a weird dude. Very Christian.
He could not drive the bucket truck down the road and talking without looking at you in the passenger seat.
I was always fixed on the road. He asked me one day what was wrong. "Somebody has to watch the road, Neal!"
His wife Faith left him one day and took their girl and boy.
He tracked her down a few years later and drowned her in her bathtub in front of their son.
Got life in prison. I would have been OK with death. Premeditated, in front of his child!
Son testified against him. Still in prison. Up for parole a few times, denied.
He fucked up his family, his wife's family, trusted members of his church and community.
Life or death?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Trout Maharishi

The cost to prosecute and keep a death row inmate is staggering. I agree some people are iredeameable pices of shit. Personally I think we need to make their existence hell on earth. The though of isolation and hard labor until the day I dropped dead is chilling. NC is one of the top states with people on death row and we haven't pulled the plug on anyone in almost 20 years.
https://ncpolicywatch.com/2021/06/21/monday-numbers-new-study-on-death-penalty-shows-its-expensive-racially-disproportionate-and-unpopular/#:~:text=North%20Carolina%20a%20leading%20state%20in%20death%20penalty,%28724%29%2C%20Florida%20%28340%29%2C%20Texas%20%28216%29%20and%20Alabama%20%28175%29
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Dougfish on April 21, 2022, 18:12:41 PMI worked for a guy for two summers during my time at VT. Tree service. Death defying chain saw work.
He could not drive the bucket truck down the road and talking without looking at you in the passenger seat.
I was always fixed on the road. He asked me one day what was wrong. "Somebody has to watch the road, Neal!"
He tracked her down a few years later and drowned her in her bathtub in front of their son.
Got life in prison. I would have been OK with death. Premeditated, in front of his child!
He fucked up his family, his wife's family, trusted members of his church and community.
Life or death?

Death would be fine by me, however, for many crimes, I think death is too fast, too easy. Bring on the cruel and unusual punishments for those that deserve such.

Onslow

Quote from: Dougfish on April 21, 2022, 18:12:41 PMI worked for a guy for two summers during my time at VT. Tree service. Death defying chain saw work.
Life or death?

The laws of the land, and the sentencing guidelines in the Sentencing Guidebook, are symbols of collective determination and strength. Our feelings and emotions have zero relevance.  When American society strays from collective strength (law and order) and embrace our own self importance and narcissism, said society will end up being a basket of rotten fruit. The BLM riots, Antifa, Jan 6 insurrection, and the ripping/tearing/destruction of public education are results of self righteousness of those who think they're wiser and smarter than the guy standing next to them. Just say no to this shitty rabbit hole temptation.

I would consult the most current manual
https://www.ussc.gov/policymaking

Woolly Bugger

Apparently Tennessee is having some problems acquiring the drugs to complete a scheduled execution and have stayed that temporarily

https://apple.news/AuuBvc6GDSBWiKAMhIcb8HQ
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

There has been a movement among the drug companies for several years to ban the use of their drugs in executions. I know there are many drugs that will kill you but I think the key is thay don't want to see the person kicking and screaming while they die. The main drug used was previously manufactured in NC. I remember when NC use to gas everyone.
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/will-pharmaceutical-companies-kill-death-penalty
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Yallerhammer

I am very much for the death penalty in cases where there is no reasonable question of guilt. I say bring back the public gallows. Add repeat burglary to the list of capital offenses. And instead of keeping them up in prison for thirty years before execution, do it within a week of the trial.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Phil

Why don't they just use fentanyl?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Phil on April 23, 2022, 14:46:28 PMWhy don't they just use fentanyl?

I often wondered about opioids, but as it turns out there are people who have adverse reactions and would have a horrific death from an overdose of opioids,

QuoteFrom a medical standpoint, opioids can cause vomiting, which would force the execution to be delayed as allowing a person to violently regurgitate while they're being killed would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

but while searching for that info I came across this....

Fentanyl is So Deadly It's Now Being Used During Death Penalty Executions in Nevada

https://www.northpointseattle.com/blog/fentanyl-deadly-now-used-death-penalty-executions-nevada/

and I assume you could get a good steady supply from all of it that has been confiscated..
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

There are lots of drugs you could use that will kill you. But the state needs something that will keep you from flopping around like a fish out of water so it appears humane. That's where the combination of drugs comes in with the use of some type of paralitic being one of them. The type of drug that's used in general anesthesia to keep you still while they operate on you.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/1950001/death-row-lethal-injection-drugs-death-penalty/
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>Gov. Bill Lee paused executions in Tennessee for the rest of the year on Monday to enable a review of its lethal injection procedures after a testing oversight forced the state to call off the execution of Oscar Smith an hour before he was to die.

>>>Former U.S. Attorney Ed Stanton will review circumstances that led to the chemicals being tested only for potency and sterility but not for endotoxins in Smith's case. He'll also review the clarity of the lethal injection process manual and Tennessee Department of Correction staffing considerations, Lee said in a statement.

>>>"Governor Lee's decision to pause executions pending an independent review of Tennessee's lethal injection protocol shows great leadership. The use of compounded drugs in the context of lethal injection is fraught with risk. The failure to test for endotoxins is a violation of the protocol. Governor Lee did the right thing by stopping executions because of this breach," Federal Public Defender Kelley Henry said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/tennessee-pauses-executions-will-review-lethal-injections/ar-AAWQ5hw?ocid=BingNews

en·do·tox·in (en-dō-tok'sin),
1. A bacterial toxin not freely liberated into the surrounding medium, in contrast to exotoxin.
2. The complex phospholipid-polysaccharide macromolecules that form an integral part of the outer membrane of a variety of relatively avirulent as well as virulent strains of gram-negative bacteria. The toxins are relatively heat stable, are less potent than most exotoxins, are less specific, and do not form toxoids; on injection, they may cause a state of shock and, in smaller doses, fever and leukopenia followed by leukocytosis; they have the capacity of eliciting the Shwartzman and the Sanarelli-Shwartzman phenomena.
Synonym(s): intracellular toxin
me -There's a season?