For, lethal injection
7 (41.2%)
For, electric chair
7 (41.2%)
Against
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Woolly Bugger

SC hasn't been able to come up with the drugs for lethal injection. And recently changed the law and made accommodations in the execution room for death by firing squad.

They gave Richard Bernard Moore, who was convicted for killing a convivence store clerk back in 1999, a choice of Electric Chair or Firing Squad. He chose the latter, but his execution is now on hold as a temporary stay has been issued dealing with the constitutionality of his choice, both of which he declares are cruel and unusual.

South Carolina Supreme Court halts state's plan for firing squad execution

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-04-20/court-halts-south-carolina-firing-squad-execution

Here are the 35 men on South Carolina's death row

https://www.wbtw.com/news/state-regional-news/here-are-the-35-men-on-south-carolinas-death-row/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

A Tennessee inmate scheduled for execution by lethal injection Thursday has selected his last meal.

The Tennessee Department of Correction (TDOC) says Oscar Smith, 72, has selected a double bacon cheeseburger, deep-dish apple pie, and vanilla bean ice cream for his last meal. It will be provided to him on Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/tennessee-inmate-scheduled-for-execution-selects-last-meal/ar-AAWq7hP?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9f9941ac3a064b9497b49b697384fc26
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

and then you have cases like this...

where cops use interrogation to elicit false confessions.

A woman who insists she falsely pleaded guilty to killing her two-year-old daughter in 2007, made a last-ditch attempt to stop her April 27 Texas execution on Monday.

Lawyers from the Innocence Project representing Melissa Lucio, 53, filed a request for clemency with the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, a move that Innocence Project attorney Vanessa Potkin characterized as Lucio's last legal option.

A woman who insists she falsely pleaded guilty to killing her two-year-old daughter in 2007, made a last-ditch attempt to stop her April 27 Texas execution on Monday.

Lawyers from the Innocence Project representing Melissa Lucio, 53, filed a request for clemency with the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, a move that Innocence Project attorney Vanessa Potkin characterized as Lucio's last legal option.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10731657/Texas-woman-falsely-pled-guilty-killing-daughter-makes-ditch-attempt-stay-execution.html?fr=operanews

always Lawyer Up!
me -There's a season?

Phil

The thing that complicates the death penalty for me -- the number of people on death row (or already put to death) that are actually innocent.
"National Academy of Sciences Reports Four Percent of Death Row Inmates are Innocent. In a study released today, the National Academy of Sciences reports that at least 4.1 percent of defendants sentenced to death in the United States are innocent."

I wonder if the number is actually higher....

Trout Maharishi

I'm all for doing away with the death penalty. Killing is wrong, it doesn't matter if it's one man doing it to another or the state doing it to a criminal. I never though the death penalty was much of a deterrent. The last meal thing is always interesting. I'd want a couple hookers and some good party favors.https://www.ranker.com/list/most-elaborate-death-row-final-meals/john-barryman
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Also make you wonder about the number of innocent people in general population

Federal and state prisons: 1,518,559
Juvenile facilities (2007): 86,927
Local jails: 785,556
Total: 2,418,352
4% = 96,734

As of January 1, 2022, there were 2,436 death row inmates in the United States— 4% = 97

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 20, 2022, 19:07:07 PMAlso make you wonder about the number of innocent people in general population

Federal and state prisons: 1,518,559
Juvenile facilities (2007): 86,927
Local jails: 785,556
Total: 2,418,352
4% = 96,734

As of January 1, 2022, there were 2,436 death row inmates in the United States— 4% = 97

I'm not all that worried about that because most of the time by the time you actually get sent to prison you have a rap sheet as long as your arm. Almost every time I see some crazy stuff happen like just happend in NY on the subway you see the guys record and I go "how the hell is he not already in jail?" You commit a violent crime or assault of any manner on another person espically with a firearm,  you need to be locked up.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on April 20, 2022, 19:07:03 PMI'm all for doing away with the death penalty. Killing is wrong, it doesn't matter if it's one man doing it to another or the state doing it to a criminal. I never though the death penalty was much of a deterrent. The last meal thing is always interesting. I'd want a couple hookers and some good party favors.https://www.ranker.com/list/most-elaborate-death-row-final-meals/john-barryman

"I did not get my SpaghettiOs, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this."
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 20, 2022, 20:49:57 PM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on April 20, 2022, 19:07:03 PMI'm all for doing away with the death penalty. Killing is wrong, it doesn't matter if it's one man doing it to another or the state doing it to a criminal. I never though the death penalty was much of a deterrent. The last meal thing is always interesting. I'd want a couple hookers and some good party favors.https://www.ranker.com/list/most-elaborate-death-row-final-meals/john-barryman

"I did not get my SpaghettiOs, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this."

He wanted it served room temp out of a can. I think I'd like to have the All Star Breakfast with a side of hash browns from Waffle House and a pack of Camels. I haven't smoked ciggerets in 30 years but what the hell.
― Charles Bukowski

greg

I'm with you on the camels. Quit smoking when I was in college but damn I would walk a mile got a camel 😂

Phil

Quote from: greg on April 21, 2022, 06:02:35 AMI'm with you on the camels. Quit smoking when I was in college but damn I would walk a mile got a camel 😂

"When I get to heaven...
 I'm gonna get a cocktail
Vodka and ginger ale
Yeah, I'm gonna smoke a cigarette that's nine miles long
I'm gonna kiss that pretty girl
on the tilt-a-whirl
'Cause this old man is goin' to town" ~~ John Prine

Big J

I agree with Phil's statement.  But honestly, I feel like most of the people on death row wrongly were from the 80's and 90's when court systems were more racist and just wanted to bring someone up on the charges and it didn't matter who it was.  I'm assuming with advancements in forensics that this sort of issue is becoming less and less.  I'd like to see some statistics though to back up my assumption.

That said, there are some heinous unfixable people in this world that are flat out evil and demented.  I believe the death penalty services a purpose for people like this.  People can harden their hearts past the point of return and show no remorse for the gruesome acts they committed.  I think the death penalty should be set aside for the unremorseful heinous crimes and for the most part today, I think that is the case.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on April 21, 2022, 08:44:01 AMthere are some heinous unfixable people in this world that are flat out evil and demented.  I believe the death penalty services a purpose for people like this

Truth

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Facts and Figures
  • Police-induced false confessions are among the leading causes of wrongful convictions.
  • Since the late 1980s, six studies alone have documented approximately 250 interrogation-induced false confessions.
  • In Bedau and Radelet's 1987 study, false confessions were the third leading cause of wrongful conviction; In Warden's 2003 study they were the single leading cause.
  • Police-induced false confessions appear to occur primarily in the more serious cases, especially homicides and other high-profile felonies.
  • More than 80 percent of the 125 false confessions documented by Professors Steve Drizin and Richard Leo occurred in homicide cases.
  • False confessions make for the leading cause of wrongful convictions in homicide cases.
  • More than two-thirds of the DNA-cleared homicide cases documented by the Innocence Project were caused by false confessions.
  • There have been 317 post-conviction DNA exonerations in the United States.
  • Exonerations have been won in 38 states; since 2000, there have been 250 exonerations.
  • In about 30% of DNA exoneration cases, innocent defendants made incriminating statements, delivered outright confessions or pled guilty.
  • 18 of the 258 people exonerated through DNA served time on death row.
  • The average length of time served by exonerates is 13.5 years.
  • The average age of exonerees at the time of their wrongful convictions is 27.
  • 92% of false confessors are men.

https://falseconfessions.org/false-confessions-happen/

me -There's a season?

greg

Quote from: Phil on April 21, 2022, 08:23:19 AM
Quote from: greg on April 21, 2022, 06:02:35 AMI'm with you on the camels. Quit smoking when I was in college but damn I would walk a mile got a camel 😂
gotta love John Prine. Saw him in Asheville the year before he died.

"When I get to heaven...
 I'm gonna get a cocktail
Vodka and ginger ale
Yeah, I'm gonna smoke a cigarette that's nine miles long
I'm gonna kiss that pretty girl
on the tilt-a-whirl
'Cause this old man is goin' to town" ~~ John Prine