News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: How many BRFFF members hav...
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - January 28, 2023, 18:06:24 PM
Quote from: Friar Tuck on January 27, 2023, 18:43:04 PMJust 2.

Dougfish and Mudwall.

Quality over quantity.

/'/

Rob, your reputation and standing in the fly angling community is forever tarnished, sullied till the end.  I see no path to redemption and emancipation. 

Not even 3 of these will purge your indiscretions:    "Hail Lefty Kreh, full of perfect drifts, Vince Marinaro is with thee; blessed art thou amongst dry fly anglers, and blessed is the no hackle of thy mayfly impersonations, Doug Swisher & Carl Richards."
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Dougfish - January 28, 2023, 09:55:08 AM

#6&7

A couple of pretty days on the river this week.
That translated to weak fishing.  b';
Very few bugs.
Very few willing fish.
Very few trains.
The highlight was getting buzzed by Ospreys.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The other highlight was seeing the bossman.
It had been months.

As he said, we solved zero problems of the world.
And agreed that the fishing sukked.

Jeebus.

:cheers

The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited poachers and oth...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - January 28, 2023, 09:52:13 AM
Glasgow fishermen broke lockdown rules to poach salmon on River Spey

Two Glasgow fishermen who flouted lockdown rules to travel to Speyside for a day of poaching salmon have each been fined and had their fishing gear seized.

Joel Julienne and Barry McKinlay were caught by a water bailiff while fishing without a permit on the popular stretch of the River Spey near Craigellachie on April 11 2021.

It came at a time when Covid-19 restrictions meant people weren't allowed to travel outwith their local authority area.

After being caught by the bailiff, they fled the scene and were eventually pulled over by police 11 miles north of Craigellachie on the A941 near Birkenhills outside Elgin.

Summarising their behaviour, Sheriff Olga Pasportnikov said: "I guess they took a trip up to do some fishing during lockdown then ran for it when caught."

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/crime-courts/5324425/salmon-poachers-broke-lockdown-rules-for-day-illegal-fishing-on-river-spey/
The Gravel Bar / Re: Like angling, golf will te...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - January 28, 2023, 09:13:20 AM
Last post by driver - January 28, 2023, 08:54:42 AM
@Big J told you I'd forget someone. Turns out it was several.
Last post by The Dude - January 28, 2023, 08:33:46 AM
Quote from: Big J on January 27, 2023, 15:57:17 PM
Quote from: The Dude on January 27, 2023, 13:07:41 PMNot very many

I even had a trip mapped out for us!  :'(

But now I am old and (really) fat, so I'm afraid that ship has sailed and there is no turning back, unfortunately. Sorry.
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - January 27, 2023, 22:24:37 PM

#23-7 42 degrees and mostly sunny, gas $3.49

It may have been sunny in the parking lot but I was standing in the shadow of the bluff as the noon sun was too low in the sky to provide any warmth. I managed to catch one pune brown in that run and then headed on down to find Doug and have a beer and lunch.

WE noticed a few BWO and Caddis in the air, no trout rising, it looked desolate. After solving none of the world's problems we headed back to fish the run and caught nothing.  We decided to move on up and hit a few spots on the way out. Doug swung some soft hackles below turtle creek while I watched.

He caught nothing and headed home and I stopped in at Sally's and caught a couple. A red raft was headed down and they hit the spots above me but were kind enough to row behind me.

I headed on down to the devil bridge and rigged up the spey pole and swung up a brown on an intruder.

I hit the river walk run as the sun was setting and caught a stockbow and that was that.

The Gravel Bar / Re: All Things Black Bass
Last post by Onslow - January 27, 2023, 21:30:28 PM
The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited it's the water, ...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - January 27, 2023, 20:43:20 PM
The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited it's the water, ...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - January 27, 2023, 19:21:52 PM
As the Colorado River Shrinks, Washington Prepares to Spread the Pain

The seven states that rely on the river for water are not expected to reach a deal on cuts. It appears the Biden administration will have to impose reductions.

The seven states that rely on water from the shrinking Colorado River are unlikely to agree to voluntarily make deep reductions in their water use, negotiators say, which would force the federal government to impose cuts for the first time in the water supply for 40 million Americans.

The Interior Department had asked the states to voluntarily come up with a plan by Jan. 31 to collectively cut the amount of water they draw from the Colorado. The demand for those cuts, on a scale without parallel in American history, was prompted by precipitous declines in Lake Mead and Lake Powell, which provide water and electricity for Arizona, Nevada and Southern California. Drought, climate change and population growth have caused water levels in the lakes to plummet.

Full NYT article
Support the BRFFF