News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by creakycane - December 07, 2022, 22:01:07 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on December 06, 2022, 19:01:04 PMA while back, I asked VDGIF the question as to why the state would stock over wild trout and was told:
-Lots of anglers buy a license and enjoy fishing for the stockers.
-There is concern that much of the current river access would be closed off if stocking was discontinued.

Your point number 2 is a main driver of why stocking still happens in thriving wild waters in the NC high country. Avery Co, Ashe Co, Watauga Co.   The private owners who allow access to stocking will tighten up if the stocking isn't cont'd.  Don't need to have any more water off limit.
The Gravel Bar / Re: All Things Black Bass
Last post by Onslow - December 07, 2022, 20:42:23 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=drainage+sizes+for+NC+river+watersheds+usgs&rlz=1C1NDCM_enUS785US785&biw=1615&bih=871&sxsrf=ALiCzsbSGDC16qI0hbHti5o_p3P7kd6rZQ%3A1670461845573&ei=lTmRY9fGIvfNytMPybquoAQ&ved=0ahUKEwiX5amn6-j7AhX3pnIEHUmdC0Q4ChDh1QMIEA&uact=5&oq=drainage+sizes+for+NC+river+watersheds+usgs&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQAzIFCCEQoAE6CggAEEcQ1gQQsAM6BQghEKsCSgQIQRgASgQIRhgAUNoLWNUWYJsbaAFwAXgAgAGcAYgBtQSSAQMyLjOYAQCgAQHIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

This link is a search for a very useful PDF doc.  USGS drainage areas for selects sites. Download this doc, and review it.

Later in the week, drainage sizes will be discussed.  Numeric quantification of river stream size is one of the most important elements of stream literacy. Understanding the relevance of these numbers, and what they mean in terms of what can be floated, what shouldn't be is key to successful exploring via floaty boat when chasing bass.

Fun tidbits > Did anyone know Muddy Creek in Clemmons where it enters the Yadkin is considerably larger than the Fisher where it enters the Yadkin?  Who knew!  Why should I give a damn about Muddy Creek?  More on that later.
Local Trip Reports / Re: Mudwall's Put 'n Take conu...
Last post by Onslow - December 07, 2022, 18:11:54 PM
Learned how to cast poppers and foam frogs in ponds in the low country and Tar river as a teen.

Moved to the hills in 2008, and reluctantly started cool water fishing with the long rod several years later.  Started streamer fishing the North Fork New and Little for trout, and the Little, Roaring, Fisher, Mitchell for smallmouth.

Moved on to nymphing later on the all the smaller local streams in SMP and other VA streams in Carroll and Patrick county.

Last post by Woolly Bugger - December 07, 2022, 17:43:07 PM
Curtis Creek
Little River
Roaring River
Bullhead
Garden Creek
Smith River

So mostly stocked but with some wild fish
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited climate change
Last post by Onslow - December 07, 2022, 17:33:35 PM
https://www.wired.com/story/pliocene-like-monsoons-are-returning-to-the-american-southwest/#intcid=_wired-verso-hp-trending_b9a2dfa6-cfdd-4391-be22-d0000360222f_popular4-1

QuoteLeaf waxes also predate climate records from Antarctic ice cores, which go back only about a million years and require a climate that can support ice. One study used leaf waxes to glimpse the climate of a warmer Spain some 15 to 17 million years ago. Another looked at the moisture history of Southwest Africa for the past 3.5 million years.

Bhattacharya began using them while working as a postdoctoral fellow in Tierney's lab. Five years ago, she and Ran Feng, a coauthor, came up with the idea of studying the Pliocene while riding a bus during a conference for young researchers.

Their analysis started with marine sediments collected decades ago by the research vessel Joides Resolution, which roams the oceans drilling cores from as deep as 6 miles below the surface. The samples used for the study were taken off the coast of California: one off the Baja peninsula from a depth of more than 2,600 meters, and one from the East Cortes Basin at a depth of 1,700 meters. During the Pliocene, leaf waxes would have been transported west on the wind to become part of this marine sediment.

The team got a cube of each core, freeze-dried them, and ran them through "a glorified espresso machine," says Bhattacharya, using a solvent under pressure at high temperatures that extracted the waxes. Then they measured the hydrogen and carbon isotope composition using a gas chromatograph-isotope ratio mass spectrometer, which separated the waxes by their molecular mass.

"The hydrogen that's used to make the wax is coming from rainwater that the plant uses to grow. You can think of isotopes as like a fingerprint," Tierney says. "These isotopes actually trace the kind of rainfall you have, which is pretty cool. They can also trace the amount of winter rainfall versus summer rainfall. So, it's pretty powerful."

For the second part of the study, climate modeler Ran Feng, a professor at the University of Connecticut's Department of Geosciences, ran simulations to determine how sea temperatures influenced the stronger monsoons of the mid-Pliocene. Feng found that when marine temperatures—in an area that extends from Alaska to off the coast of Baja, California—were higher relative to the usually warmer tropical waters off Central America, they created conditions for stronger monsoons in the Southwest. Warmer local air acts like a heat pump, drawing the relatively cooler tropical air and warming it, pulling in moisture. "So it creates this loop," she says. "That's why this is able to drive moisture into the Southwest North America regions."

That kind of marine heat wave has occurred off California in recent years and will become more prevalent as temperatures rise, feeding more intense monsoon storms.
Last post by jwgnc - December 07, 2022, 14:12:35 PM
I caught my first trout on a fly on the MasonTract of the South Branch of the Au Sable back when you could swing wet flies and catch (stocked) fish.  They stopped stocking the Au Sable watershed above the last dam in Mio around 1966.  I didn't begin to learn to fly fish until 20 years later on the Holy Water.

Aren't we all still learning?
Last post by Big J - December 07, 2022, 12:56:20 PM
Piss trickle brookie streams.  Started out learning how to fly fish on farm ponds in GA.  Then dived right into small stream wild trout.  First trout on a fly rod was a 7" brook trout a mile from a trail on an extremely bad example of a Royal Wulff I tied on an 8 wt fly rod. :laugh:   
Last post by greg - December 07, 2022, 12:21:32 PM
I learned in the catch and release section of Davidson about 30 years ago. For the most part it's wild fish but some do get washed out of hatchery. Have t fished it in last 5 years or so. Too many people on it. It was crowed 39 years ago but now it's a disaster most of the time
Last post by Phil - December 07, 2022, 12:07:48 PM
I had to vote "other" because I learned both on "put and take" and "wild" streams -- however, the stretch of NC Watauga river that I fished when learning 50 years ago, now put and take, had both wild and stocked fish in it. Boone's Fork was all wild back then. Now both areas are private pellet-fed waters. 
Last post by Onslow - December 07, 2022, 11:35:16 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 07, 2022, 10:11:10 AMthen we might not have some of the self-sustaining populations to occupy our passion.

So here is a dirty little secret.  One of NC's most beloved streams named the Mitchell River is not a wild trout stream where it is currently open to the public. This very heavily used DH water is located on a piece of transition water where a few can survive over the Summer, but where no reproduction is taking place.  Yes, there are stories of 20 inch wild browns upstream, but that is upstream.

The Pigg river is what a put and take water should look like.  A relatively worthless piece of water at the edge of hill country too warm for wild trout, and too small for bass. Streams in city parks are great candidates as well. 

It makes very little sense to do put and take on top of wild fish from the human cultural perspective, and the fish. This is akin to making Holy rollers and Catholics worship together. 

Regarding the argument about bribing landowners with stockers to gain access, this can be overlooked to some extent, but  let's look at Kibler Valley.  Some please tell me just how many miles of this designated water can be fished that is NOT on the power plant property.  It ain't much. The public and the fisheries peeps are getting screwed here, Brush Creek, and many other streams.

Stocking fish in NF property should be banned, unless it is restoration effort.

Trout are no longer being stocked on BRP waters in NC.  NC made all NF streams special reg in the 90s.  WV and VA would be well served to do the same.
Support the BRFFF