boots on the ground research

Started by benben, September 17, 2011, 14:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benben reincarnated

I've been doing a little research through my usual arm-chair methods and finally was able to get out and see if there were any fish where I thought they'd be.  I met up with Foulhook bright and early, well not so bright, pretty much socked in and upper 40s when we started, but definitely early. 

First stream was a bust, had low water, looked good, but no dice.

Second stream was pretty much the same, much slower than I expected overall.

Third stream we both had been to before on separate occasions, I had fished the main stream, and he the feeder we fished today, and we had generally high expectations.  It proved to be pretty slow going as well though.  We brought a few decent fish to hand, but numbers were overall pretty low.  We had a great time trying out some new places and the weather was nice and crisp all morning. 

I'm hoping things start getting ramped up pretty soon as Fall goes on.  For you leaf-peepers, some early fall color is coming in above 5,000', but it is spotty, couple of weeks things should be looking really good at elevation.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

first fish:

0:0

Al

Still looks good to me BenBen.. 

Would I be correct to assume you use a GPS to keep yourself on track?  I just received an early xmas present in the form of an Oregon 450t which I am still trying to figure out.  Any pointer from any of you guys would be welcome.

Probably no need to mention this but it will not be long before gun season for deer will be on us - wearing a little blaze orange would be a good idea. Movement at first and last light should also be avoided because that is prime time for hunters to be waiting for the big one to walk by.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Al on September 17, 2011, 14:59:05 PM
Still looks good to me BenBen.. 

Would I be correct to assume you use a GPS to keep yourself on track?  I just received an early xmas present in the form of an Oregon 450t which I am still trying to figure out.  Any pointer from any of you guys would be welcome.

Probably no need to mention this but it will not be long before gun season for deer will be on us - wearing a little blaze orange would be a good idea. Movement at first and last light should also be avoided because that is prime time for hunters to be waiting for the big one to walk by.

Thanks Al.

Mostly maps I have or print off online is what I rely on.  I don't get too far off the beaten path.  I believe Tranny uses a GPS a lot, so he could probably get you going in the right direction.  It is on my wish list of things to get, but it is pretty far down.

Good point on the hunters...bow season opened up this weekend I believe, and definitely going to keep that in mind especially when gun season comes in.  I believe Sunday is a no-hunting day, so that's always good to know as well. 

Al

Bow season for all zones opened last weekend. We can bow hunt on Sundays now on private land but not on public land.  Muzzleloader and Gun depends on where you are for opening day. Here in the east it opens early Oct. Out in the mountains it opens early Nov.  (No gun or ML hunting on Sundays)

I've already got some pointers from Trany on my GPS - but what does he know ;).  I suspect down in South Africa the compass needle was always pointing south :o

FoulHook

Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

benben reincarnated

Thanks Nick, most excellent choice.   :D

brownhunter

That one brookie may be the darkest I have ever seen, but it is also one of the most gorgeous as well  'c; Excellent report as always  -0- -0- -0-
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: brownhunter on September 17, 2011, 19:23:41 PM
That one brookie may be the darkest I have ever seen, but it is also one of the most gorgeous as well  'c; Excellent report as always  -0- -0- -0-

Thanks.  Nick pulled that bad boy out from under a rock.  He definitely was a nice looking brookie.  In-person he looked almost completely black with only red spots...the darkness didn't translate in the photo as much.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Holmes

Boots on the ground is the only way to find gems like that. Top notch work boys.. I had a little bit of luck today myself, lots of big brookies landed. Be lookin for a TR later, me and my buddy destroyed the big char, I eveb fished my old eagle claw featherlite again :o

Transylwader

I see you found the Gold Mine's cousin. I havent fished that crick since May. Gotto take aim at her one ore time before Old Man winter shuts this joint down 0:0