News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

" The Midge did it "

Started by fly4u, September 20, 2009, 07:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fly4u

As a beginner I have ask, read and watched and I maybe even listened. It started coming together yesterday. First a good strike, a catch which is in my hand and a second catch that I played with just to long. It was as good as the one in my hand. After that I got greedy and tried a few other things. I will hopefully go back today and will start back with the same style midge that I caught these on yesterday. I hope I am holding this more correctly than the last picture I posted....not Bass style.....Thanks for all the help.

" Thank You For Your Support "

troutphisher

Midges are a very important food source year round for trout, but perhaps more so during the winter months, and certainly on tail-waters where the water temperatures maintain low values around 48 degs. Midge pupa are found in almost every cold water stream in Western NC, and have often produced when other patterns did not.

A good book on midges and patterns with color images is " Midge Magic" by Don Holbrook and Ed Koch. These guys have fished and studied midges for over 25 years and have developed some excellent patterns based on their studies and photography.

Don't forget midge dry patterns, they are very fun to fish and have produced some of my best fish.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

MtnGrouseHtr

On the smaller midges (20-26), my hookups increased once I started adding a small split shot about 18+ inches up. I just could not get enough weight on a hook that small to get it down. Another trick is to use a larger (16-18) tungsten beadhead fly as the top fly on a dropper system.

brownhunter

Glad to see you getting dialed in with the fish on the Smith, Fly.
Thanks for sharing  ;hb
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Woolly Bugger

big fish on tiny flies is way cool, tailwater trouts eat a gazillion mides in a day
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rjs123

Nice brown!

When I first started fishing the Smith and knew even less than I do now I was tying and fishing #12 zebra midges. :)  In that size Im not sure what the fish thought they were but they seemed to work at times and I actually caught one of my best browns on one of those supersized midges. Ive since been tying 16-18 and just got some 22 hooks.