Wanted 10 wt. saltwater rod

Started by AK Aaron, April 06, 2014, 18:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Fish_Pimp

Quote from: Transylwader on April 07, 2014, 22:45:01 PM
Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on April 07, 2014, 22:14:18 PM
I fished the T&T horizon II 10wt for albacore, I liked it. not sure if I'd wanna stick it way down in the water to figure 8 for ski with...its too expensive and the blank is pretty thin walled, seems like it might be easily broken. I've fished a few predators, 8 and 10wts..they're nice rods. and cheap and the warranty dept. is probably a lot faster than T&T.
your avatar is awful, just awful. Fix dat shit bruh...

it is pretty bad, huh? kinda funny though

this is for you grayson, ya'll are some messed up fellers

Aka

I fished the T&T horizon II 10wt for albacore, I liked it. not sure if I'd wanna stick it way down in the water to figure 8 for ski with...its too expensive and the blank is pretty thin walled, seems like it might be easily broken. I've fished a few predators, 8 and 10wts..they're nice rods. and cheap and the warranty dept. is probably a lot faster than T&T.

Solid advice, hadn't thought about the beating I'll put on it fishing musky.

RiverbumCO

Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on April 07, 2014, 23:07:34 PM
Quote from: Transylwader on April 07, 2014, 22:45:01 PM
your avatar is awful, just awful. Fix dat shit bruh...

it is pretty bad, huh? kinda funny though

this is for you grayson, ya'll are some messed up fellers

How?
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

flatlander

I see a close out Xi2 on the web, but it's still pricey in my book.  How much is that T&T going for?  Can't say anything about the other rods suggested, but I've always found that Sage stands up to the abuse of fishing out of a boat better than a lot of the other brands.

Darthmonkey

I was in a similar situation as you wanting to fish for Tiger Musky, Pacific Albacore and Ling Cod out here in Washington. Maybe do a trip or two for tarpon, roosters or permit. I casted every rod under 5 bills: BVK, Lefty Kreh Sig, Mangrove, Motive, GVX etc. completely expecting to buy a 10 weight at the sub $500 price point. Then my good buddy who has fished just about every tropical destination on the planet put a Loomis NRX 10 weight in my hands. I ended up buying an NRX. It is THAT good. The next best thing? The Pro4x. A few more bucks than those Redington and TFO offerings, but in my book is just a much better rod that requires less effort to send out more line.
The above response is not to be taken seriously, it is on the internet after all.

sanjuanwormhatch

I'm not an expert but have casted a decent amount of rods.  For what sounds like a very one dimensional rod, count me in the camp that would not hesitate to buy a tfo, beulah, echo, or redington rod.  I'm not familiar with what the big rod companies are doing these days, but might want to check the their intro rods. 

However, to echo darthmonkey, I have a buddy who has a loomis (I think it's the NRX) and he raves about it.  He uses it for reds (and bones and perms to a lesser extent) when presentation is more of a consideration. 

RiverbumCO

The only Loomis ive ever fondled was a 6wt GLX.   That rod was incredible though.

_Fish_Pimp

Wildmttrouts sage motive 9wt is a sweet casting rod..I'm sure the 10 is awesome too!

I heard the nrx is a cannon, but so are the sage methods and other 8 bill rods

Michael Toris

Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on April 10, 2014, 22:09:33 PM
Wildmttrouts sage motive 9wt is a sweet casting rod..I'm sure the 10 is awesome too!

The motive is a great rod; loads slightly deeper than the predator and has an overall smoother feel. However, when you are chucking chickens on a 400 grain sinker, smooth is not what you are looking for. You want powerful and fast (or at least I do). You can definitely max the motive out faster than the predator when tossing meats. I bought the motive as a space filler. I wanted a rod that would whose main job would be saltwater and stripers (still haven't done much of these yet tho) with a lil carping and musky mixed in.

Here, ask yourself a few things:

What is my main purpose of this 10 weight?

If you answered musky, go with the predator/mangrove.

If you answered permit and poon, go with loomis.

If you answered light salt and musky mixed in sparingly,  go with the motive.

If you answered, to look cool, go with the T&T.

The "musky guys" do not throw sage, loomis, or T&T for a reason. That reason is often toughness and return policy (cheap and fast). Any guy who has spent significant time chasing those damn things will tell you, rod breaks far outweigh fish landed.

_Fish_Pimp

Quote from: wildmttrout on April 10, 2014, 22:39:24 PM
Quote from: _Fish_Pimp on April 10, 2014, 22:09:33 PM

The motive is a great rod; loads slightly deeper than the predator and has an overall smoother feel. However, when you are chucking chickens on a 400 grain sinker, smooth is not what you are looking for. You want powerful and fast (or at least I do). You can definitely max the motive out faster than the predator when tossing meats. I bought the motive as a space filler. I wanted a rod that would whose main job would be saltwater and stripers (still haven't done much of these yet tho) with a lil carping and musky mixed in.

Here, ask yourself a few things:

What is my main purpose of this 10 weight?

If you answered musky, go with the predator/mangrove.

If you answered permit and poon, go with loomis.

If you answered light salt and musky mixed in sparingly,  go with the motive.

If you answered, to look cool, go with the T&T.

The "musky guys" do not throw sage, loomis, or T&T for a reason. That reason is often toughness and return policy (cheap and fast). Any guy who has spent significant time chasing those damn things will tell you, rod breaks far outweigh fish landed.

lawd, that explains everything

Darthmonkey

So why wouldn't you fish a loomis for musky?
The above response is not to be taken seriously, it is on the internet after all.

RiverbumCO

Because we live life on the edge...the edge of poverty.

Dougfish

Quote from: RiverbumCO on April 11, 2014, 05:03:54 AM

I look at a lot of old 8-9-10 wt fiberglass. Now they're tough! And under $50. I'm serious.
Hang a big Medalist 1498 on the end and the whole setup is less than $100.  -+;

Michael Toris

Yup.

I would love to fish a 10 wt loomis rod but I really cant justify it. It would be like those dudes who buy a zero turn mower for a half-acre lot.

Darthmonkey

I recommended the Pro4X.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/gloomis_2010/us/en/fly/rods/salwater_rods/pro4x.html

The point of my first post was don't cast the NRX. DO NOT CAST THE NRX unless you wanna lose 8 bills because the rod is that damn impressive. For any 10 weight rod in the sub-$500 category, my vote goes to the Loomis Pro4X. It is a great all around rod, the stress and impact testing is on par with the best that Tim and Steve Rajeff can throw at it. None of the other rods mentioned are little wusses that'll break if you toss it around the boat, set the hook like Kevin Van Dam, or use it in some sort of weird fetish role play you and your old lady do. What does matter is how it casts. Virtually all specialty lines made in a 10 weight are now a shooting head; tarpon, musky, what-the-fuck-ever. They're all 30-40 foot long heads tapered down to an ultra thin running line to bomb out 100 feet really fast. All the other rods are nice, it is just my opinion that the extra $100 bucks spent on the Pro4X makes a difference in every category.