News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Blueliners Beware!

Started by Dougfish, July 11, 2013, 17:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

"In fact, I'm sure you've all wondered — just like I have — how much fly fishing metadata is currently being "utilized" by a secret cabal of fly fishing fanatics within the NSA."

http://troutunderground.com/2013/07/hiking-tech-or-why-the-zombie-apocalypse-suddenly-seems-kinda-mild/

Look out Ben, Dude, Mike, Jacob, et al.  ;D

Big J

I going Mudwall style on technology now! 

benben reincarnated

If those NSA jokers want to hike multiple miles for dink brookies then more power to them. 

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Big J on July 11, 2013, 20:14:40 PM
I going Mudwall style on technology now!

Yeah but then I'd get lost or at least not be able to brag about how many miles I hiked off-trail or how steep the gradient was I bushwhacked up.   /'/

benben reincarnated

I perused that site a bit, I like this guy's way of thinking, sums up my M.O. as well, although I will fish in the dead of winter in addition this:

Planning highly speculative trips in the dead of winter is the best antidote there is for not going fishing, and we've got four post-opening-day trips in the hopper.

Only one potentially involves trout bigger than 12 inches, but then, Lewis and Clark didn't wander all over the west because they were looking for a Boone & Crockett elk.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I warned you gentlemen about the probable pitfalls of those darned gadgets.  Forget the potential conspirators that may be exploiting – those thingamajigs cry geek!!!! 

Get lost; be a man!

Henry, the mountain man was on point.

Henry Frapp: I thought you got lost again.
Nathan Wyeth: Haven't you ever been lost?
Henry Frapp: Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

I've written about getting a SPOT for my son when he started backpacking Grayson highlands and the AT in March (read iffy weather) . While the boys didn't see the need of the thing it enabled the parents to say yes and let the boys go out on their adventures, it also aided it timing pickups too!

Not to mention picking them up off of the rain swollen Dan River last year!

If now used correctly the can cause problems, years ago a group of scouts took one on their northern tier trip, packed away smoothing in the pack triggered many false alarms which lead to a partial ban by NT. I'm glad they had the unit with them and I was able to get them off the river before they got into trouble!

Now my son is on his second year guiding canoe trips in Canada and while he doesn't carry a SPOT, he does have a Satellite Phone. 

Read a story about an old fool who started the AT from Springer Mt, in short order he got lost in foul weather and snow, panicked on day two and fired off a SOS, searchers assembled and starred the search only to find him 200 yards from a trail/road. He could have walked out, but because he had a SPOT he relied on others to rescue him rather than remaining calm and figuring thins out and self rescuing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Clemsontygerfan

I have a SPOT and it's awesome!  My wife has made it mandatory that I take it.  I've used it from deep in the jungles of Burma, throughout Thailand / China, and just used it in Iraq 3 weeks ago.  It's also great for messing around in the woods.  Aside from letting loved ones (and big brother) know that you're okay, it's pretty cool to look back through your Check-in messages and see exactly where you were.  I'm okay with my wife making it mandatory because it makes it much easier for her to say, "Ok, I don't have a problem with you going...".  I would highly recommend getting one of these!

Transylwader

Paranoid android. My ex wife bought me a Garmin 400T back in 2009. She probably regrets doing it, well actually, I could care less. I use it a lot. Mostly to mark fish of notable size, like a 17" brookie on Seneca Creek that broke me off last year and a side feeder I simply didn't have time to fish, but will plan on hitting it back up. There's ways to scithe information from people's pix. Heck, I was messing around on youtube the other day and a video popped up and showed a way to scam peoples passwords to their email accounts/facebook etc. Unbelievable how much time some spend on computers. They are the least of my concern. It's the group of folk that cook meth in some of the more sketchier areas I fish I am concerned about, that, rogue pitbulls, electric fences, surveillance cameras etc.
What were we talking about bluelining to begin with? It's still not overly popular and I suspect that unless the states budgetary cuts really clamp down on stockings on DH HS water, then people will be forced to explore around the next bend.
Until that happens, bluelines ain't going anywhere anytime soon, just the speckled inhabitants who are too dumb to refuse an elk hair caddis.