New Cars... Jeep Cherokee 2019 ESS

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 29, 2020, 10:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about the Engine Auto Stop Start System?

Great, anything to improve gas mileage and eliminate emissions
2 (28.6%)
What the hell? I'll cut my own damn engine off when I'm damn well ready!
2 (28.6%)
meh
3 (42.9%)
one time at bandcamp I got ESS but they gave me a shot and its cured now
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Woolly Bugger

The CR-V is in the body shop due to a minor little bump up and I've got a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited for the rental.

It is equipped with the Engine Auto Stop Start system (ESS) sometimes referred to as the Extremely Stupid System. I discovered this only after driving for a while and coming to a stoplight where the engine stopped! I was a little freaked but because I had heard about this feature on European cars, I sort of knew what was going on.

Does anybody else have a car with ESS? Is this going to be standard on all gas-powered vehicles in the future?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutboy_II

Youngest son has that in their Honda Pilot.  Drove me crazy when we went up to babysit and had to use it (because you need a Master's degree in I don't know what to take the damn car seats out) until I figured out to turn it off.  I guess the engineering shows it save the planet or something, but not comfortable to drive.  Perhaps I'm just too control focused...

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Stone-Man

this seems like a terrible idea.  What if you come to a stop and you see a vehicle coming out of control behind you -How ya gonna get out of the way  ????

Stone Man Back to Cave Now

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Stone-Man on February 29, 2020, 17:47:50 PMthis seems like a terrible idea.  What if you come to a stop and you see a vehicle coming out of control behind you -How ya gonna get out of the way  ????

By the time you take your foot off the brake and hit the gas the engine has restarted
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

driver

i've driven rentals with this. The first time I didn't know wtf happen when I stopped and the engine cut off. Seems to me that would be extra wear and tear on the starter. But starters have come a long ways as well.

streamereater_101691

I wanna hear dave's opinion on this matter.. :laugh:

ryguy

I drove a rental car with it once.  More annoying than anything.  If you were stuck in stop and go traffic all the time I guess it could save on gas over the long run.  But over the life of the car, how much gas would that save? 
I can see it becoming more widely used on new cars.

Dougfish

The starter technology is changing rapidly. Besides the new sturdier starters they developed for this, they are moving to a 48 volt starter. You'll be able to creep forward with it. Batteries are evolving because of these more powerful starters. They are moving away from the traditional lead/acid battery to the AGM style (Optima for example). Pretty cool stuff. But annoying, I agree.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Dougfish on March 01, 2020, 07:24:19 AMThe starter technology is changing rapidly. Besides the new sturdier starters they developed for this, they are moving to a 48 volt starter. You'll be able to creep forward with it. Batteries are evolving because of these more powerful starters. They are moving away from the traditional lead/acid battery to the AGM style (Optima for example). Pretty cool stuff. But annoying, I agree.

Doug the creeper!!! d:b  d:b  d:b
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

I'm a "buy it new and drive it until the wheels fall off" guy, so I have concerns about exhaust gas recirc and engine temps and what all of that shutting down and restarting does to the longevity of the engine.  That is why I am not a fan of the variable cylinder technology, either.  At some point if it is used enough, I am confident that engineers can figure out how to do it right and eliminate the consequences and by-products to the long term durability, but I don't think manufacturers have been driven to that at this point.  Therefore I would stay away from it for now, and if I'm buying used, no way I buy a car with those engines that has high mileage.
But then again, I am not an internal combustion engine designer, so I am talking out of supposition and intuition rather than any sort of technical expertise.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Dee-Vo

That feature is okay. I've had a few vehicles with it. It takes a few weeks to get accustomed to it, but at first it's a very odd feeling. Also, the small amount of time that it is cut off doesn't really save that much fuel, but anything is good, I guess.

troutrus

I have had several cars with the system. One Chrysler and two Fords.  All have an option to disable the system with the touch of a button. Doesn't bother me either way, but drives my wife bonkers. Even when I'm driving she hits the switch to disable. 🤣
System is a good idea in heavy traffic areas with bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. Keeps the air cleaner for those of us that value such things.

troutboy_II

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 29, 2020, 17:53:00 PM
Quote from: Stone-Man on February 29, 2020, 17:47:50 PMthis seems like a terrible idea.  What if you come to a stop and you see a vehicle coming out of control behind you -How ya gonna get out of the way  ????

By the time you take your foot off the brake and hit the gas the engine has restarted

If memory serves, it doesn't start again until the gas peddle is pressed, so there would be a delay.  Did I remember this correctly?

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutboy_II on March 02, 2020, 13:29:24 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 29, 2020, 17:53:00 PM

If memory serves, it doesn't start again until the gas peddle is pressed, so there would be a delay.  Did I remember this correctly?

TB

Keep starts as soon as the foot lets up on the brakes
me -There's a season?