If you want something done, you gotta do it yourself.....

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 17, 2016, 11:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Notes from the field...

2016-41

JK4 made it to Shady Valley and got Kyle back home, safe and sound...

The other day, at the PFF, when I was gearing up I grabbed by vest and the net, which is always attached with a coiled cord magnetic keeper, was missing. I have no idea how it was lost. I can't imagine not noticing it the last time I took off my vest, the Brodin Tailwater is no small net. Whoever finds it, I hope it brings you luck!

My local river is a peak generation tailwater which has a normal low flow of 52 cfs, perfect for wading all but the deepest holes. Recently there have been a lot of changes, one involving weekend 4 hour midday rec flows for the kayakers, which forces you to move around the generation and has pissed off and confused a lot fisherman, both local and out of town. Then, during upgrade construction a fire broke out destroying the control panels. We are now facing 24/7 flows of 500, 700, or 300 depending on lake levels.

We are getting in to sulfur hatch time and I wanted to check out the river to see if, 1) the bugs were hatching on the high water, and 2) if the fish were rising to them.

The flow in the long flat stretches was swift and deep. When I waded out into casting position, I was quickly at belly button level and was about to lose footing in the swift water. All I did was manage to lose three flies on the backcast and put down the risers that I found.

The walk in along Philpott's field
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sexy water

Passing the time, waiting for bugs

These poor bastards must have pissed somebody off

The sulfurs, in small numbers, were on the river, but it was mostly midges and a few blue winded olives were spotted. A few fish are rising to them, holding behind current breaking structures. The river is cold and mostly unwadable at current 512 cfs. I found new leaks in my waders up high on the right waist. I may try again if they drop it down to 300...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Impatient mofo? Or curious george? Which is it/or both?  n!n

I could not make it happen yesterday, going Thursday afternoon for trail work. And the long, light rod will be loaded.

Yesterday from the Unhelpful thread:

"Due to a request by SRTU, an assist by mother nature, and persistence in following up by Al, the COE has found a way to delay sluicing for one day.

The SE TU Regional Meeting is happening in Roanoke this weekend. Some folks from many states are coming in to fish with local fisherman on Friday.
Some may end up on the Smiff. Here's your chance to join them on the water. The COE will drop the sluicing on Thursday as they shut down and resume at the end of the day Friday.

We are looking at 100-150 cfs in Bassett. Doubt they will hold the water back for a late day sulfur hatch fish on Friday, but you may be able to sneak one in late Thursday. I might head down for that. Who knows how it will work out? But I wanted to give you farkers a heads up. I hope some of the degenerates will take advantage of this. It will be months before this happens again.

Get some.  -0- "

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

swervinmervin

I can't make it Thursday (baby doc appointment with my wife), but I have plans to come down Friday morning for my first shot at the Smith. Really excited to try it out.

Dee-Vo

Glad to see you spending some time on your home waters, WB.

NCsporksman

I'd be keen for that, after sitting in the woods for a month I wouldn't mind slaying some dry fly punes with my old buddy, hit me up old dude

IFStultz

Can't wait to float it and see what's happening, when I get back from Idaho/Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IFStultz

Floated from the old Bassett library to the take out at cp films yesterday. Few sulphurs on the water but not many risers. Caught a few on streamers. Not my favorite stretch but at 500cfs what do ya do?

IFStultz

The water was slightly stained. FWIW.