News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Keys Trip

Started by chasntrout, October 08, 2013, 19:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasntrout

Went down to Key West with my dude Pete for a few days this weekend. Flew into MIA on Thursday and drove a rental car down through the keys to Key West.

Day One

On the way to meet our guide, we got a phone call. Someone stole the guide's prop the night before and he didn't have a spare for the boat we were going to fish! I was thinking, oh no, not a good start to the trip.

Since we weren't able to get out on the boat for the day, Pete and I decided to hit a wadable spot and see what we could find.

We hit Boca Rica beach near the Naval Base in Key West. Spooked out 2 bones and whacked a bunch of small mangrove snapper.

Day Two

Started the day off launching around Summerland Key. Went to a tailing flat first stop. Visibility was poor with pretty heavy cloud cover. Saw 3 tailers within the first 20 minutes. No shots though, as the permit seemed to only tail once and all tailed out of range.

After poling the flat for awhile and realizing the sliding was going to be rough in the cloud cover, we diverted over to cuda fishing.  y;

Caught a bunch about this size. Drags were a screamin',

Day Three

Fished the Southern Key West area.

Visibility was a little better, but still not ideal. Had a few shots at permit. On the best shots we were able to get a follow, but no eat!!!  b';

Picked up this Jack as it was hitchhiking a 4 foot lemon shark. Tons of fun on fly!

Dinner is served.

The permit were even teasing me in the MIA airport.....

Until we meet again Mr. Permit.

Overall we had an awesome time. Wish the weather would have cooperated a little better to get some more shots at permit. Not hooking up with one has only fueled my fire to get after them again sometime soon.

If anyone is planning a Key West trip, I would highly recommend Bob Beighley of Double Haul Charters. He's a super cool guy and is definitely a flats expert. He is the kind of guide that is really passionate about his craft, not one of the guys out there just looking for a payday. I will be back to the Keys at some point and will definitely fish with Bob again when I do.

The End.

RiverbumCO

So, $125 for the rangefinder?
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

sanjuanwormhatch

chasntrout

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

TheYiman

Nice, the Keys are always awesome.

sanjuanwormhatch

How much for a framed copy of this one?

Dougfish

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on October 10, 2013, 04:28:35 AM
How much for a framed copy of this one?

And how in the fudge did junior rent a car? Mom come along?  :D

flatlander

Quote from: chasntrout on October 08, 2013, 19:51:03 PM

Overall we had an awesome time. Wish the weather would have cooperated a little better to get some more shots at permit. Not hooking up with one has only fueled my fire to get after them again sometime soon.

March for Permit
May for the Tarpon migration
Farther north for bonefish

Nice trip.

Trout Maharishi

Nice trip, good start. When I go I want to go with Flatlander. Guides from the Keys have dubious reps at best. Plus I need someone to rent the car for me. They don't rent cars to convicted felons.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

flatlander

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 10, 2013, 21:16:07 PM
Nice trip, good start. When I go I want to go with Flatlander. Guides from the Keys have dubious reps at best. Plus I need someone to rent the car for me. They don't rent cars to convicted felons.

TM...I would be happy to rent the car and chauffeur you around the Keys. Why I'll even spring for your midget lap dances at Teasers!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Flatlander on October 11, 2013, 19:32:08 PM

TM...I would be happy to rent the car and chauffeur you around the Keys. Why I'll even spring for your midget lap dances at Teasers!

Road trip! I'm in!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

chasntrout

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 11, 2013, 20:27:26 PM

Quote from: Flatlander on October 11, 2013, 19:32:08 PM

Road trip! I'm in!

Already have the itch to go back......  b';