News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Shake the Rust

Started by RiverbumCO, March 30, 2020, 11:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverbumCO

Yea so, its been a while since i caught a trout.  I did catch/keep a few stockers last year for the grill.  Other than that, not a whole lot has been given towards fishing.
 Last couple years have yielded: a child, career change, family shake ups, a couple deaths, and many other small things.  The carps seem to have left our local honeyhole in the last couple years, and Grayson is all but a sponsored Walleye touring pro these days. :;!

A recent trip to Beech Mountain led me past a few juicy trout cricks, and i got the fever again.  I got a trip lined up with an old head off this board, Shrop.  He hasnt done much trout fishing, and wanted to as well.  A makeshift plan was hatched, and with a quick detour by Graysons abode to procure Mr Shrop a crick rod, we were off.

First creek ended up being not what i expected.  Alder lined and rhodo choked.  I saw it went through a meadow but that meadow ended up being the backyard of a McMansion, and i didnt feel like it was worth fucking with after that.  One brown was caught.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Turkeys on the horizon

Skeedattled out of there, and headed south and around the ridge to state park land.  Several cars parked at one trailhead  p;- , so we motored to the park entrance to go up a new-to-me creek.  Fucking gates closed!  Back to the trailhead with the others.  Decided we were going to hike 1.5 miles before fishing, ended up being closer to 2.  On a slight time restraint so we boogied.  Split off a smaller creek to avoid the others, and immediately got into rainbows. 

Caught probably 8-10 between us before hitting a pretty steep gorge section.  It was rock waterfall/plunge pool over and over but between the steep banks and deadfall, we werent interested.  Also, since i figured somewhere in the gorge was a barrier, i wanted to try and get a slam and hit a brookie.

We were at around 1700ft at this point, i told shrop the best way out was straight the fuck up, to the trail at around 2000ft.  It was a shitty shitty straight up walk in waders and boots, slipping on leaves the whole way and hanging on to trees for a break.  Stayed on the trail for another mile or so until the stream intersected it, and we dove back in.  Started waylaying fish immediately.  Damnit, rainbows again.  But they were bigger here.  I got an 8' and 10' back to back, even catching fish on the dry.  It was good for about 30 minutes then we had to make the 3.5 mile trek back.  Once at the truck we about collapsed and let all that wader sweat dissipate before shoving off.

Yesterday on a whim, decided to take the little one down to the river on the fourwheeler and let him toss rocks while daddy tosses flies at smallmouth.  I couldnt wander far, and the pool i was fishing was too fast i think.  I tried a wooly and nymphed a stonefly but had no takers.  Still fun to cast the fiberglass.

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Woolly Bugger

good stuff, glad you got out and found a way in to the trouts...

take care and be safe...  V:;
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Good work,Daddy-o. Glad to have you back on da board.  :Dance
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Nice haul.  Good to see you back in bidness.

Yallerhammer

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff